• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Turns31

Reaction score
Those look awesome. Did you change sizes or was there indeed a lasting mistake?

Sexiness is in the eye of the beholder and all...but I've come to prefer the MPs (I have plain toe 2030s in nat cxl and MPs). MPs have such a striking 3/4 profile*.

* I used to be normal. Now I jabber about boots' 3/4 profiles. What happened to me?
Yep the left boot was too large and the toe cap was sewn too far back I think? I didn't even realize the toe cap thing but the guy at White's pointed it out to me. When he told me they'd make me a new pair I asked if I could pay a little extra to change a few things and he had no problem with it.

Unstructured toe 2030s are just the pinnacle of sex in boot form to me. These MPs are still plenty slim and sleek but they're also .4 ounces heavier than the Vibergs. Going on a camping trip in the Rockies in a month and plan on taking the MPs. These are going to be my "**** kickers" I wear when I go somewhere muddy, snowy, pouring rain, etc...

CaptMorgan223

Reaction score
Yes Brown Smooth and Brown Oiltan are the same. Check out the below quotes for some pictures I've posted previously. I'm sorry my phone is making it difficult for me to post these properly

@discomute , Thanks for the lengthy post on your experience with your boots. I'm sure it's challenging ordering custom boots and having them shipped to Australia.

The Brown smooth looks great on your pair. Especially the cap toe really looks dressed up. I will consider that leather when I spec mine out.

adrs1157

Reaction score
Main streets in caramel suede (waxed)

20200801_142822.jpg

20200801_143033.jpg

20200801_143115.jpg

wordfool

Reaction score
Confirmed -- no kilties with SD and a single pair of waxed cotton flat laces. Kilties and two pairs of laces (flat waxed and leather) with BH.

I wish White's would offer the option of decent round laces with their boots -- not a fan of leather (esp. with speed hooks) and the flat waxed laces are pretty thin for boot laces. White's sister company, Danner, makes nice round boot laces, and I also use Obenauf's waxed round laces on my WF MPs (wax on, wax off).

montanamike

Reaction score
Confirmed -- no kilties with SD and a single pair of waxed cotton flat laces. Kilties and two pairs of laces (flat waxed and leather) with BH.

I wish White's would offer the option of decent round laces with their boots -- not a fan of leather (esp. with speed hooks) and the flat waxed laces are pretty thin for boot laces. White's sister company, Danner, makes nice round boot laces, and I also use Obenauf's waxed round laces on my WF MPs (wax on, wax off).
Obenaufs laces are my favorite for work boots.

klank74

Reaction score
Neither of mine did. Medium width waxed cotton laces. I swapped mine out for different laces as I'm not a fan of the provided set.

Are they waxed laces different than the ones that used to come with the SD’s? The try on pair Bakers had sent to me had the old ones in them. They were absolutely horrid. I’ve seen tougher laces come in sneakers.

Obenaufs laces are my favorite for work boots.
I use these for my work boots as well and love

wordfool

Reaction score
Are they waxed laces different than the ones that used to come with the SD’s? The try on pair Bakers had sent to me had the old ones in them. They were absolutely horrid. I’ve seen tougher laces come in sneakers.

I use these for my work boots as well and love

Not familiar with the older SD laces, but the current ones are pretty puny for boot laces. I just measured the un-used pair that came with my most recent BHs and they're 5mm wide and about 1mm thick. They look passable when new but within a few ties they start to look a bit thin, twisted and ratty. They do seem to be stronger than they look, however, and being cotton (I think) they don't stretch like a lot of synthetic laces.

Obenaufs laces are great once all the excess wax is wiped away. The amount they put on is a little overkill IMO.

Sledge42

Reaction score
I think premium leathers are a waste in black (except calfskin). You don't see the depth of character that you do in any of the colours.
I bought a pair of Brown HH a few months back and wanted to compare them to my Brown Elk Tan Smooth.
With a really nice photo comparison from @Legal Eagles- he had a pair of Black Elk Tan right next to a pair of Black HH.
The micro-creasing was very similar. I LOVE my Brown Elk Tan, but wanted to have a side by side physical comparison.
In the End, HH is REALLY nice, but I ordered a pair of Black Elk Tan BH with a Medallion Toe and am Sure I will not have a second thought about my choice, as well as, saving the $145.

iamntbatman

Reaction score
More convincing: if you wanted HH SDs, you should've bought them when the HH upcharge was free during the recent anniversary sale.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads