• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the SD available in steel toe? I NEED a steel toe for work (read above why).

I don’t see why not... in fact when you order a SJ with steel toe...(yes I know the addition of the steel toe loses the NFPA rating, but play along) you get the 55 last.

I just checked Baker's Build a Boot and SD does come with a steel toe option for $20.00.

I submit the Bounty Hunter is a heavy boot and may be overkill for your needs.

Last edited:

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you order a steel toe, it will change the way it fits.
I am assuming (you know how that goes) that he has his size dialed in for a steel toe bounty hunter. If that is the case, why would a SD on a 55 last with steel toe fit differently from a Bounty Hunter on a 55 last with a steel toe... which is what he originally planned to order...

True they both may fit a bit differently from a boot built on a 55 last without a steel toe, but c'est la vie... soft toe is not an option given his situation.

chicken1616

Reaction score
What I meant to say is that a steel toe'd #55 last will fit differently than a non-steel #55 last. I think looking at a slip on toe might be an option.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I meant to say is that a steel toe'd #55 last will fit differently than a non-steel #55 last. I think looking at a slip on toe might be an option.
You might be right, but if his company is like mine was the rule was steel toes anytime you were at work... office or field... would make the slip-on impractical... that being said he should be able to find a comfortable size in a steel toed boot...

gte872h

Reaction score
I’ve never needed a steel toe but quick question for people who wear them... do you need to go up in size and/or width for sizing? I can imagine the steel toe is absolutely unforgiving as far as fit goes.

offrd63fj40

Reaction score
I use the same size SJ with or without the steel toe. Its not that much different than having a celastic toe vs soft toe IMO.

ThreeLions

Reaction score
I hate steel toe boots. I have one pair, Danner Workmen. In the winter your feet will freeze as the metal acts to radiate the cold into your toes. If you absolutely need steel toes for what you are doing, then I guess you have no choice. Can you get away with a composite toe? If I couldn't use composite, I think I'd consider the over the toe caps that you can put on when needed if it's not an all day thing.

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
I have a pair of White’s steel toe’s on return/exchange. Toe is too small/narrow compared to my normal size on 55 last.

Reaction score
img-2618-jpg.953178

Are those paracord for laces? Looks cray!

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are those paracord for laces? Looks cray!
Nope, just Kevlar laces from Amazon... best I have found, and not a bad price for two pairs of Kevlar laces... they seem to last forever, when they get dingy I just throw them in the washing machine, good as new!

DubbySmurf

Reaction score
I think I’m convinced to go with HH now after reading and seeing @Legal Eagles posts. I feel like I’m all over the place though on trying to make a decision: right now I’m thinking about either a black HH SD with Vib430, a 7”BH with Black Dress, or a Black Dress MP. These will be my first pair of White’s and I’m just not sure how my feet will respond to the arch ease. IT sounds like a good idea, so maybe the HH SD would be the best choice, but with my wide forefoot and history of “barefoot” style shoes I like the idea of the Swing last.

For use, these will be my daily wear, though I’ll try to give them a day to rest between wears, and will be worn for long walks, some hikes, will see lots of inclement weather, but will also be worn under black pants with a black shirt and collar. Seems like HH or Black Dress are both good options, and so the deciding choice will be if SD, then HH. If BH or MP, then Black Dress.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I’m convinced to go with HH now after reading and seeing @Legal Eagles posts. I feel like I’m all over the place though on trying to make a decision: right now I’m thinking about either a black HH SD with Vib430, a 7”BH with Black Dress, or a Black Dress MP. These will be my first pair of White’s and I’m just not sure how my feet will respond to the arch ease. IT sounds like a good idea, so maybe the HH SD would be the best choice, but with my wide forefoot and history of “barefoot” style shoes I like the idea of the Swing last.

For use, these will be my daily wear, though I’ll try to give them a day to rest between wears, and will be worn for long walks, some hikes, will see lots of inclement weather, but will also be worn under black pants with a black shirt and collar. Seems like HH or Black Dress are both good options, and so the deciding choice will be if SD, then HH. If BH or MP, then Black Dress.

SD in horsehide can be made on the 55 or the 38 Swing... 38 Swing has less arch than the 55. The HH SD in my picture with the yellow laces is actually on the 38 swing last.

IIRC you were waiting on sizing advice from Whites after being put into a 6EE by Bakers...... the 38 is a wide (but not tall) last in the forefoot. Either Whites or Bakers can tell you how to convert from 55 to 38 sizing. I keep the same length but size down one width when going from the 55 to the 38 but YMMV.

Sounds like the 38 swing might be for you... moderate arch and wide comfortable forefoot. I personally love the 38 swing last!

Last edited:

TH3515

Reaction score
I keep the same length but size down one width when going from the 55 to the 38 but YMMV.
YMMV indeed! The #38 last has a very wide toe but a relatively low/low volume instep – noticeably lower than the #55 last.
So with my feet it's just the other way round: I would ideally have to go up one width when going from 55 to 38 last.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
YMMV indeed! The #38 last has a very wide toe but a relatively low/low volume instep – noticeably lower than the #55 last.
So with my feet it's just the other way round: I would ideally have to go up one width when going from 55 to 38 last.
Agreed and hence the disclaimer and the note that the 38 last while wide is not "tall" in the forefoot. "Instep volume" is probably the more technical way to put it.

We have noted repeatedly here that the only surefire way to get a good fit is to try on a pair of boots in the desired last and size. The second best is tracings and measurements sent to Whites and Bakers... anything else is educated guesswork.

Whites and Bakers can look at his tracings and measurements and recommend a size in any last.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads