• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom "onesie" style shirt... Good or bad idea

Neofio

Reaction score
Hi all.

Pardon this newbie. I wear suits to work almost every day, and I have no complaints about most of my outfits ("correct" fit tailored suit, tie, shoes, etc.). However, my shirts leave a lot to be desired. Because of my non-standard proportions, it can be a bit difficult to find shirts that fit well (i.e. too large and it long and billowy, too small and its tight around the midsection)... hence I'm thinking of ordering a number of custom shirts.

However, the custom option might afford me some... possibilities that aren't offered off the rack. One option I'm thinking of is to remedy the issue of shirts being untucked and/or muffin top by having the bottom of the shirts be able to close/button together at the crotch, in a onesie style. Yes, for babies. That onesie style. I am thinking this will be a very secure method of preventing the shirt from riding up, without having to resort to things like shirt suspenders and the like.

Obviously, the shirts will be exclusively tucked in and cannot be worn untucked, but would there be other issues arising from this?

Thanks!

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Onesies for babies work because the fabric is stretchy. You’d have to attach the shirt body to a lower elastic panel for this to work. There are devices called shirt stays meant to do what you are proposing. Maybe check that out first.

Last edited:

Shawl Lapel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you going to unbutton it every time you go to the bathroom? Seems like more work than it's worth. I'd use shirt stays.

Neofio

Reaction score
I have tried shirt stays. They result in painful chafing where the stays connect to the sock, as well as inconsistent results when one side is not balanced with the other, especially at the back. Also, they're a pain to put on. And should they come off, you have to pull your pants all the way down to re-set them.

I view undoing another button or two when going to the bathroom much less of an inconvenience in comparison.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A properly fitted shirt, combined with same in trousers, will solve your problem without the need for adult baby clothes—which at any rate would be uncomfortable given that you’re presumably not still wearing diapers.

Most OTR shirts these days have short tails, which save fabric and thus manufacturing cost but tend to untuck when sitting.

Compounding the problem is the trend to low-rise trousers; the influence of denim style on tailored clothing has not been kind to dress shirts, which are much harder to keep in place when the trouser waist is encircling the hip bone. (Cowboys and carnival roustabouts, the original wearers of jeans, were presumably less concerned with keeping their shirts tucked in.)

It’s not easy given today’s trends in clothing cuts, but finding suits with higher waists, and ordering shirts with longer tails, will help. And when your shirt does want to come untucked, there’s a quick fix that doesn’t involve unbuckling in public: simply reach into both front trouser pockets, grab the shirttails and pull down. Much easier than dealing with a crotch snap.

On the other hand, at a certain age we may find ourselves once again wearing diapers, at which point a onesie dress shirt could be just the ticket.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member