• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crocodile Shoes

tsloop

Reaction score
I know they are for gangster and all, but "my friend" wants a pair or crocodile or alligator shoes.  Does anyone know what brands I, er he, should be looking for.  There are tons of them on ebay but they pretty much all look cheap.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know what style you, er, your friend, is looking for, but there are several Ralph Lauren Polo crocodile or alligator (I can't remember which) loafers for sale on bluefly in a variety of sizes. These are of the "Made in Italy" variety, so they are not C&J. However, given the name brand, I'm sure the quality is good (and bluefly has a good return policy).

The cost is in the neighborhood of $700, marked down from around $1,200 (per bluefly). Others with more expertise can chime in, but I think you pay a fairly hefty premium for real crocodile or alligator (if for no other reason than you rarely hear of a cow biting off the leg of the person who wants to "borrow" its hide for a little while).

Regards,

Jeff

tsloop

Reaction score
I saw the ralph lauren loafers on sierra trading post but don't care for them, I would prefer a pair of lace-ups but good looking loafers would be ok I guess.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice pair of Lattanzis on Ebay recently.
I prefer alligator to croc, by a lot.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wilkes Bashford in SF carries a J.M. Weston loafer (the "reference") in croc which looks very nice indeed.

darkoak

Reaction score
Nice pair of Lattanzis on Ebay recently.  
I prefer alligator to croc, by a lot.
What's the difference between alligator and croc, in terms of quality of the leather, shine, durability, style etc?

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw those - I can't imagine a worse looking shoe.

Hmm. I went back to the bluefly site to look. I agree with you that the model they're billing as the "Prescott" is pretty hideous (really low vamp and a "Belgian Shoes" like tie - it suggests something that Tony Soprano would wear). However, the one they're billing as the "Bel Air" looks like a fairly standard penny loafer to me. Of course, this assumes that you're into the alligator look to begin with. I'm not, so the shoes really aren't for me, regardless.

Jeff

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
What's the difference between alligator and croc, in terms of quality of the leather, shine, durability, style etc?
Alligator has smaller, squarish little "panels." Croc's "panels" (or grain) are more round, and larger. Alligator is more delicate, more expensive, and more "pimp" looking (to my eye). Not that I own either. Ahem.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're trying to avoid the cheap look, avoid the ultra-shiny ones. Instead, look for those with a flat (non-shiny) finish by:

-- Edward Green
-- Lattanzi
-- J.M. Weston
-- Paul Stuart

Go for the more classic shoe designs too (classic loafers or lace-ups) if you're trying to avoid flash.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Gucci offering this season with the bamboo bit are great if you are looking for loafer/driving shoe in alligator. I don't know about the price though. If I was going to get a shoe in gator, I'd get these.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can vouch for:
-- J.M. Weston
-- Paul Stuart/Grenson

Both of their offerings in gator (I assume for the $1k+ asking price) are quite attractive in dark brown. They draw attention but not quite on the pimp'tastic level.

Plan B... for the men with big wallets, would be John Lobb Paris. I think JCusey wrote at great length in the past for his love/infatuation with the John Lobb Perrier in croc or gator.

Personally, I'll keep the exotics skins on my belt and preserved Mr. Ed on my feet.

cuffthis

Reaction score
These are my pair of Church's Prima Classe alligator cap toes. Everytime I wear these, which is not often, I always feel something is amiss. Either they are too pimpish, too expensive, too whatever. I just never feel comfortable wearing them. Brutal honesty - would you wear these? If no, why not? To quote Pat Benatar, "hit me with your best shot, fire away"

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Those look nice. But if I were ever to get croc shoes, I think I would get them darker (brown, of course) and without any brogueing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads