1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Crocodile Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by tsloop, Mar 22, 2005.

1. RIDER

RIDER Senior member

The scales in Alligator are larger when used from the belly - similiar to croc (roughly) when used from the sides.  Depends on the skin, as well as the breed, age, etc.  Croc is universally small-mid sized scales, and usually rougher.

2. Phil

Phil Senior member

I read that you can tell the difference between the two because alligator can have varying size panels on the same skin while croc only has one size panel on each skin. This makes alligator more nuanced, while croc can look almost machine made, if that makes sense, becuase of the lack of variety of panels. I was just looking at the latest Edward Green catalog though and they were calling their shoes croc and the panels were all of varying sizes. So either EG has it wrong or the source that I read it from is wrong. That source was a Ben Silver catalog.

3. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

When I have seen the skins in swatches, and occasionally in larger pieces, it always looked to me like gator panels were "square" and smaller and croc panels were "round" and larger. Plus, that's whe a shoemaker told me was the easiest way to tell the difference.

4. ernest

ernest Senior member

Lacoste makes good sneakers

5. j

j Senior member Admin

[​IMG] While we're on the subject, can anyone tell me what skin these most resemble? I still haven't gotten a definite answer.

6. Manton

Looks like gator to me.

7. tsloop

tsloop Senior member

Those are the kind of shoes I need to find. Seeing the picture in the other topic made me want a pair of alligator or crocodile shoes even more than I did before.

8. j

j Senior member Admin

What size are you?

9. William Massena

William Massena Well-Known Member

Good thread, I was actually wearing my brown Weston 180 in Alligator today.

I can vouch for the 180 in Gator, I own them in black and brown (I rarely wear the black), and they are excellent shoes with limited maintenance needs (actually Weston sells a reptile neutral cream that I use with good result). My shoes are both about 10 years old while I do not wear them often, they now acquired a patina that tones down the pimp effect.

Price is now  around $2,400  a pair (I paid $800 in the mid 90's with a stronger USD dollars).

Weston has a beautiful dark british green Gator which has tempted me for years but the combination of Gator and Green is better suited for Kinshasa than NYC.

Lobb has an amazing pair of Perrier with a Price that was recently increased from the mid $4k range to somewhere around $6,500.

William

10. tsloop

tsloop Senior member

I'm wearing some Gucci shoes right now and they are a size 8 but they are just a tad tight, I wear a 8 or an 8.5 usually.

11. Manton

Please, tell me those prices are for bespoke ... please.

12. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

It's amazing to me that JL Paris is able to get that much for that shoe (and I assume that they must be able to, else they wouldn't keep the price at that level). Bespoke alligator or crocodile shoes form Cleverley in a similar pattern would cost less.

13. j

j Senior member Admin

Hmm, these would probably be too big for you then - they are about a 9.5-10 US. Sorry [​IMG]

14. William Massena

William Massena Well-Known Member

15. darkoak

darkoak Senior member

Are you implying these shoes are for sale, j?

16. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I was wondering about those shoes too...

17. j

j Senior member Admin

Well, I would offer them for sale if I knew what to ask. They don't fit me, and I don't have a shoe museum, so I may as well send them along to someone who can wear them.

Either that, or take them with to Japan for that crazy guy with the website.

18. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

I really wish those shoes fit me...