1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Crocodile Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by tsloop, Mar 22, 2005.

1. tsloop

tsloop Senior member

I know they are for gangster and all, but "my friend" wants a pair or crocodile or alligator shoes.  Does anyone know what brands I, er he, should be looking for.  There are tons of them on ebay but they pretty much all look cheap.

2. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

I don't know what style you, er, your friend, is looking for, but there are several Ralph Lauren Polo crocodile or alligator (I can't remember which) loafers for sale on bluefly in a variety of sizes. These are of the "Made in Italy" variety, so they are not C&J. However, given the name brand, I'm sure the quality is good (and bluefly has a good return policy).

The cost is in the neighborhood of $700, marked down from around $1,200 (per bluefly). Others with more expertise can chime in, but I think you pay a fairly hefty premium for real crocodile or alligator (if for no other reason than you rarely hear of a cow biting off the leg of the person who wants to "borrow" its hide for a little while).

Regards,

Jeff

3. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Senior member

I saw those - I can't imagine a worse looking shoe.

4. tsloop

tsloop Senior member

I saw the ralph lauren loafers on sierra trading post but don't care for them, I would prefer a pair of lace-ups but good looking loafers would be ok I guess.

5. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Nice pair of Lattanzis on Ebay recently.
    I prefer alligator to croc, by a lot.

6. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

Wilkes Bashford in SF carries a J.M. Weston loafer (the "reference") in croc which looks very nice indeed.

7. darkoak

darkoak Senior member

What's the difference between alligator and croc, in terms of quality of the leather, shine, durability, style etc?

8. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

Hmm. I went back to the bluefly site to look. I agree with you that the model they're billing as the "Prescott" is pretty hideous (really low vamp and a "Belgian Shoes" like tie - it suggests something that Tony Soprano would wear). However, the one they're billing as the "Bel Air" looks like a fairly standard penny loafer to me. Of course, this assumes that you're into the alligator look to begin with. I'm not, so the shoes really aren't for me, regardless.

Jeff

9. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Alligator has smaller, squarish little "panels." Croc's "panels" (or grain) are more round, and larger. Alligator is more delicate, more expensive, and more "pimp" looking (to my eye). Not that I own either. Ahem.

10. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Senior member

Cole Haan, anyone want a pair, make you a great deal.

11. kabert

kabert Senior member

If you're trying to avoid the cheap look, avoid the ultra-shiny ones. Instead, look for those with a flat (non-shiny) finish by:

-- Edward Green
    -- Lattanzi
    -- J.M. Weston
    -- Paul Stuart

Go for the more classic shoe designs too (classic loafers or lace-ups) if you're trying to avoid flash.

12. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

The Gucci offering this season with the bamboo bit are great if you are looking for loafer/driving shoe in alligator. I don't know about the price though. If I was going to get a shoe in gator, I'd get these.

13. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

I can vouch for:
    -- J.M. Weston
    -- Paul Stuart/Grenson

Both of their offerings in gator (I assume for the $1k+ asking price) are quite attractive in dark brown. They draw attention but not quite on the pimp'tastic level.

Plan B... for the men with big wallets, would be John Lobb Paris. I think JCusey wrote at great length in the past for his love/infatuation with the John Lobb Perrier in croc or gator.

Personally, I'll keep the exotics skins on my belt and preserved Mr. Ed on my feet.

14. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior member

These are my pair of Church's Prima Classe alligator cap toes. Everytime I wear these, which is not often, I always feel something is amiss. Either they are too pimpish, too expensive, too whatever. I just never feel comfortable wearing them. Brutal honesty - would you wear these? If no, why not? To quote Pat Benatar, "hit me with your best shot, fire away" [​IMG]

15. Manton

Those look nice. But if I were ever to get croc shoes, I think I would get them darker (brown, of course) and without any brogueing.

16. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

[​IMG]

17. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

I've got a pair of Weston's 180 Reference loafters in croc, and they look wonderful indeed.... not the least pimpish. Thanks to A.Harris' convincing.

18. kabert

kabert Senior member

Cuff this, I could see wearing those perhaps 2-3 times per year -- when out for special occasion nights with my wife. I like them, but I agree they'd be hard to wear. Certainly not something to wear to the office or an office event. I'd do my best to wear trousers of a matching color to avoid calling attention to them.

19. RIDER

RIDER Senior member

A good resource for this topic: http://www.fas.usda.gov/info/agexpor.../May/cajun.htm Alligator comes in many different scale patterns - the most expensive being the larger scales, and matched on each shoe. Croc is less expensive, smaller and less easily matched. Sometimes, Alligator sides are used and mistaken for croc, as they look very similiar.

20. Manton

RIDER: when you say "smaller" do you mean the grain "panels" or the skins? I thought the gater grain was always smaller than croc, which is one of the reasons why it is considered a finer skin ...