• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett & Jones MTO Central

shoeinvestor

Reaction score
I think the Coniston with storm welt, exposed brass eyelets / speed hooks and contrast stitching is my preference, with the addition of a dianite or other sole.

I do agree that the flat welt, and matching stitching would be better on the sleeker Harlech.

Neither of these makeups can be called formal in any real sense, given we are looking at a Navy cordovan make up.
Yes, it is true that neither of these make-ups is formal but they do differ in what to wear with them. The more casual make-up looks awesome in the photo on the google doc but my wardrobe would fit much better to the more formal make-up. Hence, I would prefer the more formal make-up (ideally on the 341 last).

But to be honest with you: I expect a significant price increase in March or end of February. If we assume a 10% overall increase, the GMTO price after such an increase (for 6 shell pairs) is one slightly cheaper than a single MTO now. If we cannot complete the burgundy and navy shell GMTOs until end of January, I will go single MTO on both models.

Maio

Reaction score
I've now added the brown rough out Islay proposal to the spreadsheets.

I went with what seemed to be the most popular specs to date but again happy to change them on consensus

Hello,

I'm quite tempted to join this GMTO, what's the status right now? Is it 12 participants needed to go ahead or fewer?

I'm waiting for my first pair of Islay's and just want to check that I've got the right size before I sign up. Gonna be a great looking boot that one, thanks for organising! :)

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm quite tempted to join this GMTO, what's the status right now? Is it 12 participants needed to go ahead or fewer?

I'm waiting for my first pair of Islay's and just want to check that I've got the right size before I sign up. Gonna be a great looking boot that one, thanks for organising! :)
Same size as me mate..😗

Style989

Reaction score
Hello,

Hi Maio,

My pleasure, I love rough out and Islay so combining the two seemed like the obvious choice :)
Yes, it is 12 we need to get to. With you joining we will now be on 8 so only 4 more to go. The 365 is a lovely last. It's my favourite casual last.

Gustaf

Reaction score
Just one more name needed for the Russian Grain Conistons !!!

Come on, come on, come, come on, baby, now. Come on and work it on out. Well, work it on out, honey. You know you look so good (in your Russian Grain Conistons). Ah, ah, ah, ah, wow.

SF usernameSize (comments)
1GustafUK 8.5 (prefer Ridgeway)
2owenshillUK 9 (prefer studded but Ridgeway is fine)
3stephenaf2003(Ridgeway)
4coolhand0302UK 11 (prefer Ridgeway)
5stevel91UK 9 (prefer Ridgeway)
6joecroutonUK 9.5 (Ridgeway)
7NishantUK 8.5 (Ridgeway)
8acgascoigneUK 10
9isaho1UK 11.5 E (Ridgeway)

We have lost a man. Obviously not a Beatles fan. It's down to eight now. Two more needed.

Gustaf

Reaction score
Yes, it is true that neither of these make-ups is formal but they do differ in what to wear with them. The more casual make-up looks awesome in the photo on the google doc but my wardrobe would fit much better to the more formal make-up. Hence, I would prefer the more formal make-up (ideally on the 341 last).

But to be honest with you: I expect a significant price increase in March or end of February. If we assume a 10% overall increase, the GMTO price after such an increase (for 6 shell pairs) is one slightly cheaper than a single MTO now. If we cannot complete the burgundy and navy shell GMTOs until end of January, I will go single MTO on both models.

@shoeinvestor, @SteveL91, @harveyrabbit thanks for your input.

I'd like to direct everyone's attention to the following note (which has been in the sheet from the start):

Alternative make-ups can be discussed in the MTO thread, but until we have a consensus decision there that all interested parties agree on, what you see in this sheet is what you sign up for.

This is to make it easier to see how many participants that are ready to commit to the exact specification in the sheet. This is not how things normally work, but for the GMTOs I run point on it is. Signing up does of course not exclude discussing even better alternatives in this thread, as we do.

Here is the spec in the sheet:

Specifications
ModelConiston
Last325
WidthE (regular)
LeatherShell Cordovan
ColorNavy
Welt 360 Flat (Dark Brown Leather)
SoleDouble leather
Edge FinishDark Brown
Eyelets4 blind eyelets + 4 hooks, Antique Brass
TongueRegular
Pull TabYes, regular (fabric)
Price (6 pair)TBD
ETATBD

To comment on the suggestions so far:

Welt: I prefer Flat but can accept Storm if everyone else prefers it.
Sole: I prefer Double Leather but could accept Dainite Studded if everyone else prefers it.
Eyelets: I strongly prefer the specified blind + hooks combo.
Tongue: Half bellows would be "nice to have", but not a strong preference.
Stitching: Contrast stitching looks great on the make-up pictured in the sheet but would be a no go for me for this make-up.

Maio

Reaction score
Hi Maio,

My pleasure, I love rough out and Islay so combining the two seemed like the obvious choice :)
Yes, it is 12 we need to get to. With you joining we will now be on 8 so only 4 more to go. The 365 is a lovely last. It's my favourite casual last.

God damn it, I'm in! :D

Haven't bought any shoewear the past 2 years and now I've 3 pairs on the way...

Gustaf

Reaction score
Any interest in a teak oiled sides Coniston?

Standard spec.

859E38EC-A87D-4490-903D-D9F07AA6218A.jpeg

Image source: https://www.reddit.com/r/goodyearwe..._year_review_crockett_and_jones_conistons_in/

Style989

Reaction score
God damn it, I'm in! :D

Haven't bought any shoewear the past 2 years and now I've 3 pairs on the way...
I know the feeling. Haven't bought anything for a good few years and then last year I wanted a new Oxford but instead ended up with a bunch of boots 😂

Epic. We are now on 9 participants. Only 3 more to go

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads