• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton, Gifford, Garran, Lindrick, McCallum, Rh

gentpax

Reaction score

How often do you guys apply Saphir or Venetian to your Cordovan shoes or boots?  Does it have more to do with time or number of times you actually were the shoes or boots?

Just hit it whenever they look a little dry around the creases. And by dry, I don't mean bone or paper dry, just when the difference between toe/quarters and the creases gets past a certain threshold.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
hey guys what style would you recommend for me im 37 years old and im not sure if i should get a tassle or penny loafer and this will be my first big purchase so not sure how to size in C&J btwI am a size 9 in allen edmonds does that mean i need a size 10 in the tassle or will a 9.5 work are they marked us size or uk size because i dont want to return if they dont fit im very busy with my life they will be on sale when because im looking to only spend $300 dollars should i wait for the sale or should i wait for the bigger sale with a bigger discount my rl guy said they wont be on sale but ive see them on sale before but he doesnt know because he only works in the brick and mortar store and not the online store should i use lotion to keep them nice or do i need something else how often do i use polish where can i get answers someone help because this thread is too long for me to read

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Being a new guy, I have to say I have gone thru some of these threads in their entirety. I've found some pretty good info in a decent number of the posts. I've also found that there are some posts much later which include additions to this information where the first member either forgot or wasn't aware of something in a post much later in the thread. Often this occurs because someone else asked the same question or a memeber decided he would share thoughts becasue he thought he knows whats going on or his opinion differs from something posted earlier. Amazing how after even 200 pages on some of the threads how another member rather he be new or old will sometimes bring a different view point sometimes to something that was initially brought up on page one.

Oh yeah, then there are those bothersome questions that get answered time again over and over by new members who just showed up thinking they have the right to ask some of the same questions initially asked by older memebers in their earlier youth.You would think on most of this the answers have already been found on everything shoe, and there would be no more need for any further discussion and we could actually close the forum down. Well maybe not close it down, but maybe just stop any further comment or if nothing else somehow ensure a question which had already been asked never alllow it to be asked again. Because after all it had been discussed on page 16 of thread 4 and post number 22.

I guess you might say the forum is a mixed bag of good and bad, kinda of like life you could say. Anyway I have learned some things and it has been helpfull, but as a newby I still have somethings to learn. Along the way I guess you could say I might make some mistakes and I may even request some help. Is that Ok?

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hey guys what style would you recommend for me im 37 years old and im not sure if i should get a tassle or penny loafer and this will be my first big purchase so not sure how to size in C&J btwI am a size 9 in allen edmonds does that mean i need a size 10 in the tassle or will a 9.5 work are they marked us size or uk size because i dont want to return if they dont fit im very busy with my life they will be on sale when because im looking to only spend $300 dollars should i wait for the sale or should i wait for the bigger sale with a bigger discount my rl guy said they wont be on sale but ive see them on sale before but he doesnt know because he only works in the brick and mortar store and not the online store should i use lotion to keep them nice or do i need something else how often do i use polish where can i get answers someone help because this thread is too long for me to read

Yes.

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm feeling horsey tonight:

Out in the wild for the first time with the Lindricks since they got toppied. Cordovan BB belt, Himel Bros horsehide jacket.

Time to hit the bars!

Last edited:

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Out in the wild for the first time with the Lindricks since they got toppied. Cordovan BB belt, Himel Bros horsehide jacket.
Time to hit the bars!

That's brave of ya. Keep the fools with the topped off cocktails and beers away from your horse hide.

Last edited:

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Time to hit the bars!

looking good :slayer:

edit: is that your first time wearing them or have you broken them in already? reason I ask is that mine are a bit snug and wonder if I should wear them around the house before I go wear them to work and withstand being on my feet for 8-10 hours...

Last edited:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Time to hit the bars!

Diggin' it I would take a photo of myself too but I dot want a man to walk into the bar and look at me funny and then me walk out like nothing happened because that would kill my buzz and then my night would be busted and the bros would be like what happened in the bathroom you actin weird and I be like I guy saw me and they say say what and I say I dot want to say and now they think I'm weird

Last edited:

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Diggin' it I would take a photo of myself too but I dot want a man to walk into the bar and look at me funny and then me walk out like nothing happened because that would kill my buzz and then my night would be busted and the bros would be like what happened in the bathroom you actin weird and I be like I guy saw me and they say say what and I say I dot want to say and now they think I'm weird

That is pretty funny. Your posts have been spot on lately. Thought crossed my mind but then I figured who gives an F.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That's brave of ya. Keep the fools with the topped off cocktails and beers away from your horse hide.

This is exactly what I was thinking - one errant splash of some idiot's misstep (particularly of the teetering, spiked heels kind) and the next post will be "is this fixable?".

Not to say they should be treated like trophies behind glass but out at Friday night drink fests is courting disaster.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is exactly what I was thinking - one errant splash of some idiot's misstep (particularly of the teetering, spiked heels kind) and the next post will be "is this fixable?".
Not to say they should be treated like trophies behind glass but out at Friday night drink fests is courting disaster.

Naw, that's what cordo is for. It can take some abuse. They may look like shite on the way home from the bar - but nothing can happen to them that can't be buffed out.

I'd be more worried about blisters etc. etc. with a new pair of boots than anything else. But if you drink enough a blister or two shouldn't be any problem either.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Naw, that's what cordo is for. It can take some abuse. They may look like shite on the way home from the bar - but nothing can happen to them that can't be buffed out.
I'd be more worried about blisters etc. etc. with a new pair of boots than anything else. But if you drink enough a blister or two shouldn't be any problem either.

Yeah I agree with this. Worn shell out to all kinds of situations, no real issues yet

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads