1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton, Gifford, Garran, Lindrick, McCallum, Rh

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NAMOR, Oct 1, 2011.

1. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

^^ nice photo effects. Here is a pic of my Marlows today:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

^^^ holt1981, nice pic of your Marlows. What app did you use for the photo? They look pretty cool against that hardwood floor, that's assuming you were "standing" on it. Psych! The more you buff the Marlows the better they look. The uneven coloration is a common characteristic of shell cordovan, especially in shoes like wingtips. Some people don't like it, but I think it looks cool. As far as the Martian green hues spoken of on these forums like it was the plague, all shell, no matter what the color, eventually fades to light brown anyway. Here's a little "Snapseed" enhanced pic.[​IMG]

3. rezzor

rezzor Senior member

[​IMG]

A size comparison (heels are all even), from left to right Marlow 8.5D, Marlow 8D., AE PA 5 Last 8.5D.

4. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

Thanks! I was actually using Snapseed as well. Seems like an awesome app for procrastination.

I love the uneven coloring of these Marlows. Adds a huge amount of character to the shoes in my opinion.

Wooden floor is my living room - live in an old luggage factory. The floorboards are certainly very textural, the price I pay is that my socks regularly get torn to shreds.

5. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

6. mikeharo

mikeharo Senior member

What brand and color edge dressing does everyone use?

7. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior member

I use AE's natural. Might not work for the purists, but seems to be just fine for me.

8. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

Very envious of all the shine people managed.

My Marlow always looks dull no matter how hard and often I brush them.

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  9. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

Microfiber cloth. 'Nuff said.

10. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

Need to give this a try. Been too cheap to only use old t-shirts. Thanks.

11. Quantimil

Quantimil Well-Known Member

My pair of Marlowes in 9D I bought from hpreston last week. I am usually a short-toed UK8, I could've gone with half a size smaller because the toebox is quite roomy, but thanks to my high instep I can wear these without heel slip. Very, very comfortable. I expected shell to destroy my feet on the first wear, but these... Crockett & Jones is a magnificent manufacturer.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

I think the natural or the brown would work fine.

13. kdv10

kdv10 Well-Known Member

Today I received my Marlow PTB from Nick at B. Nelson. I had him put on a topy (front and rear). In addition, a front metal recessed tap on the toe with screws and a rear plastic tap nailed on the heel.

I had originally purchased this from Robert at Ralph Lauren in Chicago during the last sale. He shipped it to my place in San Francisco and all looked good and fit well. Then I turned around and re-sent the shoe to Nick at B. Nelson in New York. Finally, I got it back today. This whole process took 20 business days. 5 day shipping from Chicago to SF. 5 day shipping SF to NY. 5 days for Nick to work on the shoe. And finally 5 days to ship it back to me in San Francisco. The cost was $85.

This is a great pair of shoe and I'm looking forward to wearing it.

Just a little reminder, if you like these Marlow PTB Corodvan shoes, you have to order it from an RL store as the website doesn't carry these.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

Beautiful pair of horseshoes sir. The PTB's are a wonderful shoe. I've wondered what a topy'd Marlow from B Nelson would look like.The results seem very nice. Please update as to how they work for you. Wear in good health.

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  15. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

That's interesting. I have never seen anyone topy the heel. I also had a Topy, flush metal toe taps, an drubber heel taps put on my Marlow Wingtips when I first got them.

16. Kwaker

Kwaker Senior member

Agreed, the Topy'd heel is rare ... rarer still is the plastic heel taps on top of the Topy !

17. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Yeah I have never seen anyone topy'ed heel. With heel taps over the topy total over kill. Be careful when you walk heel taps are not comfortable and can make you tip over.

1 person likes this.
  18. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

:puzzled:

19. bubba04

bubba04 Senior member

LOL, I think it was an attempt at humor, being that a double sole with topys and taps all stacked together would make it for a heel so tall that it might be tricky to walk on...

20. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Heel taps imbalance a pair of shoes. Its like when you walk on some rough surface and some small rock sticks on your leather heel - how annoying it is to walk ... becos the heel is not flat anymore and when you are walking heel is unable to distribute shocks evenly . I hard people with heel taps slipped on stairs. I would take off those plastic heel taps.
    Topy on the heel should provide more than enough protection for the heel area. Plus there is a small bit of plastic on the area form the maker already. Use them for few days. see how you feel. If you feel you are landing hard on your heel then take them off. And congratulations on your PTBs. I have a pair and they are beautiful.