• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton, Gifford, Garran, Lindrick, McCallum, Rh

Jakezero

Reaction score
Seeing all these posts about Venetian Cream, does anyone know where one can get it in Europe? I've found one place which ships to Europe, but it's $39 in shipping alone.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

One more question guys. Do you think the Marlow and Lindrick differ in their ability to be dressed up, say with an odd jacket or suit? On paper I suppose a boot is a touch more casual, and the boots have eyelets. Otherwise, they look pretty much the same, and likely even more so when covered by a pant leg. Thank you for your thoughts.

Generally, you'r right - if you're standing and your pants are a proper length, most likely no one will be able to tell the difference. Other times when your pant leg slides up sitting, or cross your legs, etc. - the boots will be noticeable. For me, I love the boot aesthetic. And, yes, I like the flash of the boot when I'm sitting. It's just a novelty that I like (especially since they are so rare). But, if you can only afford to get one, I suppose the shoes are more versatile, especially if you're not someone who's comfortable wearing a boot or your environment prevents them.

Since both are so similar, my thoughts on their applicability (especially after having had them in rotation for the past year) is that they both work great with odd jackets and with suits that lean towards the casual. I feel they're just a bit too chunky for serious, professional suits. As a matter of fact, I just purchased a pair of C&J Brunswicks for just this very reason ( see post here ) That said, I've worn them with almost everything and I don't think anyone besides me worried about it, unless there was an SF'er present I didn't know about...

Last edited:

jt2gt

Reaction score

Seeing all these posts about Venetian Cream, does anyone know where one can get it in Europe? I've found one place which ships to Europe, but it's $39 in shipping alone.

If that is the case, don't worry about Venetian. Get the Saphir Reno. Ive used them both and its actually better IMO. Scratches come out with it and buffs up nice after use.

BTW...Im still on the hunt for RL Cordo full strap pennys in size 8. Have cash ready.:D

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Generally, you'r right - if you're standing and your pants are a proper length, most likely no one will be able to tell the difference. Other times when your pant leg slides up sitting, or cross your legs, etc. - the boots will be noticeable. For me, I love the boot aesthetic. And, yes, I like the flash of the boot when I'm sitting. It's just a novelty that I like (especially since they are so rare). But, if you can only afford to get one, I suppose the shoes are more versatile, especially if you're not someone who's comfortable wearing a boot or your environment prevents them.
Since both are so similar, my thoughts on their applicability (especially after having had them in rotation for the past year) is that they both work great with odd jackets and with suits that lean towards the casual. I feel they're just a bit too chunky for serious, professional suits. As a matter of fact, I just purchased a pair of C&J Brunswicks for just this very reason ( see post here ) That said, I've worn with almost everything and I don't think anyone besides me worried about it, unless there was an SF'er present I didn't know about...

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm comfortable with and also like the aesthetic of boots, and my work environment certainly permits them. I do happen to run hot, so that is also a consideration (Marlows might be a touch cooler). I'd wear either shoe casually with chinos and denim most of the time, but when I was considering the Marlows, I realized that they might also be able to be worn with a suit (people wear LWBs with a suit, and the Marlow's last is sleeker than the Barrie). So, I was contemplating whether the Lindricks were just a bit too informal to be worn in the same way. It's not a terribly significant deciding factor, though, since you're probably right that a "suit shoe" is best for conservative suits, and otherwise the Marlow and Lindrick would work equally well. Whichever is more drool worthy in person is likely the right choice.

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The smell of Cordovan is getting stronger.

They must be getting closer to my house.

joiji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anyone has ordered a Lindrick in 11D which they are planning to send back, please let me know.

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You can rock them with a pair of jeans? Why not?

I'm in So Cal, too, but that didn't stop me from getting them. Granted, I travel out to NYC, SF and Chicago enough to warrant their use, but I plan to rock them the 3 or 4 days during a typical So Cal winter that it gets cold. :)

I'm in Florida and I put 'em to good use year round. Oh yes indeed, I do.

I live in Hollywood and work in the Valley, I'm in shell cordovan all week, with boots probably 3-4 out of 5 work days. Don't really understand how you wouldn't get any use

if not now, then when? DO IT!!!!

You guys are all a-holes.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics