1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton, Gifford, Garran, Lindrick, McCallum, Rh

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NAMOR, Oct 1, 2011.

1. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

I got great service from Darrin at the Ralph Lauren mens flagship store in NYC. Maki, the assistant accessories manager, can also help you at the same store.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  2. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

So next time the shells will be on sale is in the fall? No spring private sale?

3. Teger

Teger Senior member

10.5 barrie, what in marlows?

4. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Senior member

per private sale card, April 25 to May 1 (40% + 15% kicker)

5. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

According to this guy, cordo is excluded :brick:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/228974/when-is-the-next-ralph-lauren-sale/450_50

6. mikeharo

mikeharo Senior member

barrie = marlow

....and here comes the twice annual several page barrage of "how do i get an invite" posts

7. Omar1223

Omar1223 Senior member

im 10.5 in both.

@jrd, they always say that though. im pretty sure they said it last winter when i got my marlows.

8. BeSpiffington

It's been my experience that the Barrie/Marlow correlation should be used as a reference point only. Every foot is different. I wear an 11.5 in my Barrie lasted boots, and I'm between a 10.5 and 11 in Alden LWB's because they seem to be an extra long shoe. Start with your Barrie size, just be prepared to return them. Or, negate that whole inconvenience by ordering two sizes at the same time.

1 person likes this.
  9. david3558

david3558 Senior member

I agree with BeSpiffington. While I went with my Barrie size, the two shoes feel worlds apart.

I honestly like the snugger fit I'm getting with the Marlows and wish the Barries could feel that snug, however, they just don't. The Marlows felt so tight for me through the toebox (vertically speaking too!) and I just had to break them in around the house before they settled in and felt a lot better. Just stick with what works. Hell, I went to Barneys today to try on C&J and I'm a half size smaller than I would have thought based on reading SF - I'm a US 9D and most lasts it seems I'm a UK7.5E/US8.5D...

10. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

IMO, there is no way one could go with their same Barrie size in the Marlow wingtips unless they are wearing their Barrie LWBs way large. The Marlow is smaller in every way.

Taking the same size Barrie LWB and putting it sole to sole with the Marlow, the marlow is way smaller.

In the below picture, both shoes are the same size, I tried to put the camera directly over them and line up the heels exactly. You can see that the Marlow is definitely smaller. So, at least for me, and I would expect for most, the Marlow fits TTS while the Barrie is 1/2 size down (ie. I wear an 8D in the Barrie LWB and 8.5D in the Marlow and putting these sole to sole, they are about the same size).

[​IMG]
    [These are both 8.5D!]

1 person likes this.
  11. david3558

david3558 Senior member

Tristan - funny you should post that, I have a same comparison picture between my 8.5's as well. However, I find that the non-shell Barrie LWB's fit snugger than the Shell ones. I'd say pretty drastically so, almost 1/4 (possibly more) in a difference of sizing volume. In any case, it's really too hard to say. My non-shell LWB's all fit spot on, with perfect comfort. The Marlows do feel a little tight, and the Barrie on Shell (both Color 8 and Black) are a bit loose. I could probably go with tongue pads on the shell ones...

12. phototristan

That's a good point about non-shell Barrie Aldens. I have none and am only comparing the shell Alden LWB here.

I mention that because I know other Alden Barrie shoes can fit differently, even though they are also Barrie.

The Barrie LWB in shell is the largest fitting Barrie ever.

To reiterate- The Barrie shell LWB in 8D seems about the same size as the Marlow in 8.5D both when I line them up sole to sole as well as try the fit of each.

13. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

That's because your feet aren't everyone's feet.

People ask for opinions on how various shoes fit.
    Poeple give their opinion based on their own personal experience.
    Trying to size shoes via the internet and polling can only go so far. Debating it is moronic.

2 people like this.
  14. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Is it just a matter of finding the right SA?

I thought in sales like this they can't give you the discount due to the computer system limitations.

15. phototristan

I dunno, looking the the pic of each shoe in the same size side by side, I just can't see how they could both fit equally well physically for anyone. Something has to give.

16. Hermitedge

Hermitedge Senior member

But according to the forums, it does happen. I wear a 7.5d in trubalance, an 8 in the C&J 240 (not AS snug fit), and will probably go with a 7.5 in the marlow wt. With the double sole, id rather the shoe fit snug. Ill report back my findings when this happens.

17. BeSpiffington

I'm interested to know if you or others have tried on C&J's made on their 337 last. I believe it's the last used on their higher grade calfskin offerings, and the one with which I was most familiar before discovering RL Marlow shell cordovans.

18. mikeharo

mikeharo Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Crappy iPad pic - taken with heels squared off with t-square, another t-square by toes for reference - keep in mind the Dalton's, Marlows, strands and desert boots have 360 welts which make the shoe slightly longer

My brannock size is 8.5 as measured at various retail and podiatry locations

Dalton's are 8.5 - sole length: 11 1/8"
    Rancourt for prl are 8 - sole length: 11" exactly
    Marlows are 7.5 (not a typo) - sole length: 11 1/8"
    Indys are 8 - sole length: 11.5" and they are simply massively voluminous - alden retailer said they were the right size but I should've gone 7.5
    Strands are 8.5 (no, I do not size down for 5 last) - sole length: 11 5/8" but I love the fit
    Desert boots are 8 - sole length: 11.25"
    Any specific requests? My Barrie lwb are at the cobbler for some work

Could the issue here be that the Marlows may (or may not) be UK sizing?

19. Omar1223

Omar1223 Senior member

this is just based on my observation, i have nothing to actually back this up but i think its the complete opposite.

if you talk to SAs on the phone, in the store they all say no cordovan on sale but then you try to order online and you get the discount. my thinking is they dont update their computer system to reflect no cordovan during these sales.

@mikeharo, thanks for the comparison. your shoe collection is awesome. my indys and my marlows are both 10.5.

20. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member