• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critique this business casual outfit please

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see how this differs from the generic outfit seen... well, anywhere.

It's not about the colors or anything, it's about the fit. Baggy shirt, baggy pants (that are too long), it's pretty much mediocre and common place. If I saw this on the street, I wouldn't even give it any thought, and I definitely would not think the wearer put any though into their outfit.

However I see this as a good opportunity to check out local tailors. Slim down the shirt, a lot. It balloons out on the side, this is unacceptable in terms of fit. It's fit having room to be comfortable, I can accept that, however this shirt is design for someone with your frame along with an extra 40 lb. gut.

The pants, I feel, are too high. It's not even a personal preference for me, it's just that in the first picture what I notice is that your upper torso looks tiny. Long legs is a good look, but that's not what I get here. I just see small torso and pants pulled up really high. This however may be due to the shirt, so it is so side and baggy it makes it hard to see your actual body shape.

So, what i think you should do is cut out the excess fabric on your shirt. Then, hem the pants. The break is too long, and messy. These should be pretty cheap simple alterations and if you can find a competent local tailor then you can continue to buy really cheap clothes, tailor them, and look much more presentable.

It's not that you look especially bad, it's just that the outfit is mediocre. Bland. Typical of average American casual wear. It is sloppy, ill fitting, and not flattering to your body type.

Frankie

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone, many interesting comments and it's appreciated and will use them as a guide. Yeah I went out with this outfit and pretty much went unoticed. I was not aware that french blue would be mid-90s but that's an interesting comment. Anyway I only paid $40 for it.

We don't have JCrew here. But we have Banana Republic, and a couple of other decent stores. I like cognac belt and shoes with khaki. I'm not sure about taking some length off the pants because they are cheap cotton chinos and may shrink a bit after a wash. But I'll see how they fit at a lower waist and with shinable leather shoes.

Frankie

tobyparker

Reaction score
The rise in the pants are fine if you're comfortable in them. They work for the proportions of your body. The shirt is fine as well. Fine is not great, but it's business casual after all. I would wear better shoes though. TBP.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Frankie
Thanks for the replies everyone, many interesting comments and it's appreciated and will use them as a guide. Yeah I went out with this outfit and pretty much went unoticed. I was not aware that french blue would be mid-90s but that's an interesting comment. Anyway I only paid $40 for it.

We don't have JCrew here. But we have Banana Republic, and a couple of other decent stores. I like cognac belt and shoes with khaki. I'm not sure about taking some length off the pants because they are cheap cotton chinos and may shrink a bit after a wash. But I'll see how they fit at a lower waist and with shinable leather shoes.

Frankie

Banana Republic is fine, and an inexpensive place to start adding something a little less generic to your wardrobe. If I were just starting to branch out beyond dockers and french blue shirts, and didn't want to break the bank, I'd visit BR website and just make a note of which looks and combinations appealed to me most. Then I'd either go to BR and buy, or better yet, buy online. Same can be said for JCrew by the way, although you may need some trial and error to work out fit. The bottom line is that if you need ideas and want them fast, the stylists who pull together the looks on either BR or JCrew website do not do a bad job, most of the time.

Good luck, and don't forget to ditch the hiking shoes.

brlfvr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
I don't see how this differs from the generic outfit seen... well, anywhere.

It's not about the colors or anything, it's about the fit. Baggy shirt, baggy pants (that are too long), it's pretty much mediocre and common place. If I saw this on the street, I wouldn't even give it any thought, and I definitely would not think the wearer put any though into their outfit.

I beg to differ in this case. This color combination is exceptionally generic and boring. Fit would help but it would still appear dated and show a lack of some style which is why he is here to begin with.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brlfvr
I beg to differ in this case. This color combination is exceptionally generic and boring. Fit would help but it would still appear dated and show a lack of some style which is why he is here to begin with.

The primary concern is fit. I'll take a well fitted outfit with "generic boring dated colors" over a badly fitted outfit with modern, exciting colors.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Either fasten the button of your right back pocket or else don't buy trousers which are not finished properly.

brlfvr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
The primary concern is fit. I'll take a well fitted outfit with "generic boring dated colors" over a badly fitted outfit with modern, exciting colors.

No one said color was more important than fit. But why bother getting good fitting clothes in a boring color scheme?

Reaction score
alright,

the shirt fits too loose in the waist and as a result starts to balloon out, I see this a lot. Just take the shirt to a tailor and get it cut down to size, when the shirt fits well, you look a whole lot better in it.

The pants are fine, flat front with a decent fit, though I'd try to get a nicer belt with more of a sine to it, as well I'd also give some attention to th footwear. I know you're going for casual, so a pair of loafers would be a great fit opposed to the boots. After that, toss on a simple time piece and you'll be golden.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PatciaParat