• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critique the fit - BB Fitzgerald 38R

soupcxan

Reaction score
My latest, and hopefully, best fitting purchase. Brooks Brothers 1818 Fitzgerald in 38R. I'm 6' 145 lbs. It's navy with a faint stripe, though these photos are not the greatest so it looks darker than it is in person (next time, don't stand in front of a white wall). Only alterations were hemming the pants (free - I asked for full break) and taking in the skirt of the jacket slightly ($16). Please let me know what you think of the fit. I'm going for a slim but conservative look. The shirt is a BB Select non-iron pinpoint 14-34.

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The trousers are too long causing a lot of breaking and bunching both at the ankle and higher up. but some guys like substantial breakage.

I don't think the jacket is tight at all, In fact, it appears a touch large in the shoulders, if anything. They don't look tight if one follows the line of the upper arm to it's natural attachment at the shoulder. Is there a fair amount of padding in the 1818 shoulder?

btinl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think the shoulders are too small. I think the suit in general is too wide. The pants are too long.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the jacket its fine, the pants look too long but that's usual with a plain bottom pant.

orthofrancis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel
The cut is wide but the shoulders are small. Size up and tailor down.

Yes - that is what you need to do when you get that crinkle in the lateral part of the shoulder - get a bigger jacket (=larger shoulders), and take in the chest and waist. I've done this on many of my jackets, since I have wide shoulders, and ofter get that indent below the shoulder., before I sized up, and tailored down.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I would have the pants taken in in the seat. The break is too much for me, but not outrageous. Jacket looks OK.

soupcxan

Reaction score
Thanks for the opinions - tough crowd. I think this is the best fitting suit I have found OTR to date. I guess you won't be satisfied until I go MTM? SF is a demanding mistress. These pictures haven't done the suit any favors.

I have some jackets that are slightly wider in the shoulder and I find that they overhang my natural shoulders by quite a bit. I wanted a narrower shoulder. The shoulders have some padding but it's not excessive. Agree that the jacket could stand to be a hair longer, but I don't think it's obvioulsy too short. I prefer a full break on the pants, if I get them with no break then it just accentuates how long my legs are in relation to my torso. Also, I hate having short pants ride up and expose my leg when I sit down.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
BB is a hard sell for skinny people. I dont think it works, but sizing up and tailoring in the waist may improve things dramatically.

While in the store, pick a jacket that fits in the shoulders and chest, and have one of the staff pin up the 3 back seams. That'll give you an idea of how it will look when finished.

At 6' and 145lbs i'm amazed that a 38R doesnt fit you well, but its Brooks Brothers afterall.

I wear a light break, and usually OTC socks, but in the summer i start switching to mid calf, my leg is never exposed. Short of wearing flood pants, i really doubt it'll expose leg. Those trou are way too slim for a full break.

IMO, you may be impressed with this suit initially but if i were a BB salesperson i would be ashamed to let someone leave the store without the suit appearing as intended by the designers. A slim pant requires a light break, a shoulder shouldnt pop out of the side of a jacket, and a Skinny guy without waist suppression looks like he's wearing a Bag.

Also, the sleeves on that shirt could certainly stand to be shortened, and Darting that shirt would help out alot with cutting down on the bagginess in the back.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is kind of disappointing--I was thinking of getting a couple of Fitzgeralds soon.

I've seen fit pics of a 38S and it looked slimmer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads