• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critique my outfit!

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kitonbrioni
This outfit would work perfectly for jury duty.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif

mbc

Reaction score
Is it just me, or is that a gold tooth?

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Folks lets come clean and really seriously critique the look. I think that sniggering underneath our breath like this is rude and above all unhelpful. To dismiss the fellow as beyond hope is terribly unfair - give him a chance.

I think you are trying too hard. The overall look is too busy and there is way too much going on.

The only thing I like is the colour of the jacket. It suits your complexion. It's a crying shame everything else clashes so violently with it.

Please get rid of the kangaroo pouch or whatever it is on your belt. It sticks out like a sore thumb. Part of the problem is that it is black. To match the pouch you have worn a black belt which is fair enough. But to match the black belt you have worn black shoes. Now if are really serious about getting that jacket to work you should be wearing brown shoes eg brown suede lace ups.

To further exaggerate the colour clash you have worn red trousers. By itself you can with great care pull it off - but not when you put black and red together. I have heard it said that a woman should avoid the combination of black and red as it looks like she is a hooker. On a man it is just as disastrous.

To top things off you have worn a loud print tie. I suggest you read Manton's book where he advises that you avoid print ties at all cost. I suggest getting rid of all of your print and novelty ties. Have a ritual burning this weekend. It matters little who the painter is or where you got them. Paintings are for art galleries. All novelty ties belong in the same basket as Mickey Mouse ties. Start with a solid tie. Consider yourself grounded until further notice as far as ties with anything on them are concerned.

Next, the check pattern on the shirt is by itself fine. However, on your body the horizontal lines in the pattern are widening and make you look rather portly. Mix it with a jacket that in the picture looks like it needs taking in at the waist (as well as shortening to show more shirt sleeve), a tie as busy as a Christmas tree (all it lacks is flashing lights), plus red trousers and you kind of look like Father Christmas. You are better off wearing either a solid shirt or one with conservative stripes as they are both more slimming.

Lastly, wear socks that are the same colour as your trousers. In this case you should wear brown trousers, socks and shoes. Never wear white socks unless you are playing tennis or are at the gym.

Apologies for the devastating candidness. I hope to one day see pictures of you sporting the lessons you have learned either here or on AAAC. The before and after shots will be most interesting.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Catchcall
man9nj.jpg

This is me and don't be too tough!

Suitjacket: 120 ounce Barbera Kilgour bespoke
Shirt:Mimmo Siviglia
Pants: Bernard Zins
Tie:Old Dunhill
Shoes: E.Vogel N.Y.
Socks: Nordstrom brand

As individual components, the garments are fine, but it seems that little care was taken to integrate them into a harmonious look .

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sator, that was a helpful reply; however, I disagree with eschewing print ties. We should not dispose of print ties because a book tells us so.

It seems to me Catchcall's individual pieces are actually high quality expensive garments in an odd ensemble.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even Manton owns printed ties. The good ones are not common, but is that not true of all clothing?

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Sator, that was a helpful reply; however, I disagree with eschewing print ties. We should not dispose of print ties because a book tells us so.

It seems to me Catchcall's individual pieces are actually high quality expensive garments in an odd ensemble.

It just happens that I personally avoid print ties. I had previously come to the same conclusion as Manton but independently of him. Manton's book just helped to thoroughly vindicate what I had learned over the years. I have made my mistakes too but I have learned from them.

In this case, the advice I gave was as an antidote to excessive busyness to emphasise the eloquence of understatement. You could argue I went overboard in the opposite direction but I think it is still thoroughly sound advice. I had been thinking whether I should have qualified the statement by saying that you should start with solid ties and then graduate onto a conservative tie with subtle dots on a dark background - but only after mastering solid ties.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
Even Manton owns printed ties. The good ones are not common, but is that not true of all clothing?
The only acceptable print ties are those with extremely simple geometrical patterns that look scarcely any more complicated than a dot or stripe tie. Any more than that and you are asking for trouble. Big trouble.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by royal618
Should match your shoes to your socks y'know.

No....

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Are they? This is the caption on the original picture:
Shirt: Gimbel's "sportif" collection
Tie: J. Garcia
Bespoke socks
Shoes: Red Wing Bluchers
Jacket: Sears house brand
Pants: Fell to earth, presumably from space.

I'll believe the tie is an original Dunhill limited edition if you show us a picture of the label. I would believe it was a limited edition designed by J Garcia for Dunhill, though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads