1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Countdown to Breaking Bad!!!

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Teacher, Mar 11, 2010.

1. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

Yeah she had a lot in making Walt what he is. He is really very Alfa now- he is willing to do all sorts of stupid shit to establish his dominance, and that strikes me as being pent up over years of being pussy whipped

2. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Lol thanks for the reminders guys. The $650K thing I didn't forget. Who was the 2nd man she slept with?

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Here's something I've never 100% had a handle on: why did Walt leave the company he co-founded? Was it over the chic? Over Skylar?

4. globetrotter

You can bet your ass it was because skylar was pregnant with junior and wanted him to have a more stable job

5. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Those were the base reasons, though I don't know if it was Skylar pushing him or his anxiety over financial stability (it was just a startup at that point).

6. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

My recollection is that the other partner screwed Walt over. Seems to feed his need to succeed at this.

7. globetrotter

I think that is how he remembered it, but it was more like the other guys ha a little money to invest and he didn't

8. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Still, at some point that guy cut him out.

9. Piobaire

LOL. I found a BB wiki:

http://breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/Walter_White

So we don't really know why he left Gray Matter but there was obviously money as he won a Nobel.

10. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Senior member

He did work that contributed to a team winning a nobel, he didn't necessarily win anything or receive any money.

11. Piobaire

So your contention is he either was not part of the team that used his "ground breaking research", or he was a member of the team, and the fellow that contributed the "ground breaking research" was cut out of the prize money? I'm going to contend that the guy that did the ground breaking research was part of the team and the team did not cut him out of the prize money.

Whatever happened that made him leave Gray matter and become a bitter under achiever happened post-1985 I'm going to go with my scenario until proven wrong. It is TV-land, so maybe you're right, but it doesn't fit with the character time line.

Now, in 2008, Gray Matter was nominated for one and Walt's research might have been part of that but Walt definitely was not.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  12. John Doe

John Doe Senior member

Didn't they win the Nobel Prize after Walt left? I don't think he was cut out, he just left right before they hit it big and he resented that because his work contributed to the success, however he left at the wrong time. He realized his mistake in timing and just twisted it in his mind that he had somehow been wronged.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  13. Piobaire

The wiki is saying there was a win in 1985 and then a nomination for Gray Matter in 2008.

14. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Senior member

As far as I know, the only thing linking him in the show to a nobel prize is a plaque on his wall thanking him for contributions to work that was awarded a nobel prize (I'm not even sure ground breaking is used in reference to that particular work). He very well could have worked in a lab doing graduate or post doc work where whoever was running the lab received a nobel prize in chemistry for the work being done there (In which case whoever the laureate was received the money and Walter got a plaque). In the context of the show it might even make sense for his contribution to be underrecognized (contributing to his need for power/recognition now). Really though, we don't have much information to work with.

15. Piobaire

You make great points here, and are right, we don't have a lot of info to go on.