• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cotton or Linen for summer?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm debating which will be better for a late spring/summer/early fall sportcoat. Cotton or linen, both lightweight.

The linen jacket is fully lined, the cotton jacket is partially lined.

Both are going to be Navy.

EasyGoing

Reaction score
If the goal is to stay cool I'd go with partially lined much more than the outer material.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Very lightweight linen tends to crease, rather than rumple appealingly, if that's a consideration. I'd rather have a somewhat heavier linen sportcoat than a very light one.

Personally, I prefer linen to cotton for sportcoats.

I agree about weight, though I have no preference as to material between the two. I love both.

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Linen has more appeal in heavier weights and will probably perform (cool) just as well in those heavier weights.

Cotton has appeal regardless of its weight, and, unlike linen, you gain little from going for a heavier weight.

Ultimately, if you want to stay cool but without giving up much in sticking to a lighter cloth, cotton will do it better than linen. Both cotton and linen, however, will do the job well.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
go for something unlined or half lined. Linen is more gooder in my expert opinion.

Angevin

Reaction score
I have a linen summer sports coat that doesn't fit me anymore. Anyway, I used to wear it and it wrinkles too much and it doesn't stay pressed/ironed for very long either. I personally prefer seersucker in the summer which I've seen in cotton and a cotton-linen blend. I don't own the blended one so I don't know if the blend wrinkles a lot less compared to a pure linen jacket. So I just go with cotton seersucker for summer. I would go with a partially lined jacket myself though because a fully lined jacket doesn't breathe as well.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
Cotton 4 lyfe. I don't find linen cooler and when it gets a bit damp from sweat, it feels very uncomfortable. Cotton seems to "wick" more.
- WORD
- also if you are in a bind, a cotton suit will fare better than a linen suit if a corporate situation arises.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
Cotton 4 lyfe. I don't find linen cooler and when it gets a bit damp from sweat, it feels very uncomfortable. Cotton seems to "wick" more.

You have to be kidding...
eh.gif
eh.gif
Linen is used precisely for its fabulous coolness and historic wicking properties...some blokes on SF...you gotta wonder...

QUOTE=Phat Guido;1916162]- WORD
- also if you are in a bind, a cotton suit will fare better than a linen suit if a corporate situation arises.[/quote]

Why? ...the crumpling?...I don't think cotton is a whole lot different apart from say seersucker...

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by meister
You have to be kidding...
eh.gif
eh.gif
Linen is used precisely for its fabulous coolness and historic wicking properties...some blokes on SF...you gotta wonder...

I am stating my own experience from owning and wearing lightweight cotton suits and lightweight linen suits. To me, cotton feels cooler and is more comfortable to wear when slightly damp. I don't have too big an issue with wrinkling, I'm just trying to make a like-for-like comparison for comfort in the summer. While linen has a reputation for being the coolest possible summer fabric, I can't say I've observed that to be the case. Having gone off and looked around on the internet, there do seem to be people that say it breathes worse than cotton but wicks better than cotton so maybe my use of the word "wicks" is inappropriate. That and I really have to wonder about my own sanity too ...

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will navy cotton hold its color well, or will you always get an uneven "weathered" or "distressed" look with your navy cotton jacket?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Every body reacts differently, but I feel better in lightweight cotton in the blazing heat. For spring & fall, I prefer a heavier linen (anywhere from 10 to 14 ounces).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads