• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cool vs Stylish

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Empire WIndrush.jpeg

I thought that you had to be somewhat known to be considered cool, but this picture tells me it doesn't have to be the case. Three for me unknown Jamaican passengers on the Empire Windrush in the 1950:s. No idea who they were or what they did, but the sure as hell look pretty darn cool to be.

Reaction score
sorry, I didn’t realize the need for me to climb out of anything. My position still stands; if you want to discuss race, culture and cool then start a thread for like minded individuals. Someone, somehow, introduced race into it.

And silly arguments such as yours are just that; silly. I could say the same and state that if it for a handful of individuals who could have easily ignored my comment and moved on, this thread has devolved into something quite ugly.

Until I read FlyingMonkey's post just now, I felt like I was losing my mind.

This is a thread about being stylish and/or cool.

If you are so shrill and oblivious that you start shrieking in protest when race is brought up, you probably aren't qualified for this discussion.

Stylewords

Reaction score
If you are so shrill and oblivious that you start shrieking in protest when race is brought up, you probably aren't qualified for this discussion.

Why can't people just disagree with him without these hyperbolic and confrontational (and in other cases, personal) comments?

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think a lot of people could probably recall that rhyme and re-think what they’ve written.

There goes my point, sailing over your head...

I assume (I admit that I don't *know*) that the harassment mentioned by @dieworkwear took place in person, and at least carried the threat of real harm (i.e., "sticks and stones can break my bones").

Contrast that with your whining about someone saying supposedly mean things to you online (i.e., "words can never hurt me").

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there any African Americans taking part in this discussion??

If there are I can only apologize, I'm not happy with DW representing what makes a black person cool because he has been learning about jazz and basketball shoes on the internet

Same goes for any Ska loving Skinheads sorry for the stereotyping

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which African Americans? Are they a monolith? All with the same tastes, desires and style?

X can originate from Y without Y being a monolith.

And in this case there is ample, factual evidence that the very word 'cool' originates from jazz/Black culture. Nobody's claiming that's all there is to it. But to wilfully ignore this relevant fact seems bizarre.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why does someone else need to start a new thread because you don't like the direction this one took? I'm not meaning to join in a mob attack against you here but I'm genuinely wondering why you get to dictate the rules of what can be discussed on this thread? If you don't like the conversation that is happening in this thread, surely it's you that should start a new one and outline the parameters for discussion before discussion commences?

I’m not dictating any rules whatsoever. I’m merely expressing an opinion as everyone else has and continues to do.

Once you introduce race, then everything becomes about that. Deny that, and you dent reality. This discussion started out about cool and stylish and discussions around what defines it. I didn’t realize that race and culture defined either. Individuals within those groups certainly do.

So let’s talk about the individuals and how they influenced style and cool. Introducing race and culture basically affords a platform for people to sneak in their views on race relations and the inherent problems of modern society. People are people and many have an unquenchable desire to be heard and be relevant.

that was the basis for my objection. Perhaps I’m wrong but notice as soon as I said it, the term white fragility was introduced. I’ll leave it to you to draw your own conclusions.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
X can originate from Y without Y being a monolith.

And in this case there is ample, factual evidence that the very word 'cool' originates from jazz/Black culture. Nobody's claiming that's all there is to it. But to wilfully ignore this relevant fact seems bizarre.

Yes but this wasn’t a thread on linguistics. It was a thread in cool and stylish.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Put anyone else in that suit and maybe meh? But Miles is cool. If that has something to do with the color of his skin then it’s lost on me.

You must be joking. You don't think the edginess--and hence arguably coolness--of Miles Davis has anything to do with the fact that he managed to affirm his artistic genius despite the grotesquely daunting prejudice and material obstacles Black people faced at the time?

I'm sorry, but If people have to attempt to justify "coolness", in what way is it cool??

People aren't trying to justify it, they're trying to explain it, to make sense of it. Verstehen, as Weber would have said.
the main thing that links them across cultures is the idea of sangfroid (basically composure).

Yes. This chimes with a point made earlier: cool requires some kind of constraint. You are in dire straits but you don't loose your, er, cool blood. This seems compatible with remaining aware of one's vulnerability: courage without fear is just recklessness and all that.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There goes my point, sailing over your head...

I assume (I admit that I don't *know*) that the harassment mentioned by @dieworkwear took place in person, and at least carried the threat of real harm (i.e., "sticks and stones can break my bones").

Contrast that with your whining about someone saying supposedly mean things to you online (i.e., "words can never hurt me").

I don’t believe I’m whining. Whining is using terms like white fragility when their carefully cultivated and unchallenged view of the world is actually questioned.

Have at it, call me anything you want. I’m completely comfortable in my skin.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t believe I’m whining. Whining is using terms like white fragility when their carefully cultivated and unchallenged view of the world is actually questioned.

Have at it, call me anything you want. I’m completely comfortable in my skin.

Call you anything we want except "fragile" apparently, and then you get hurt.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. This chimes with a point made earlier: cool requires some kind of constraint. You are in dire straits but you don't loose your, er, cool blood. This seems compatible with remaining aware of one's vulnerability: courage without fear is just recklessness and all that.

See, that 'courage needs fear' thing always bothered me. To my mind it's more like courage requires cunning. There are many examples of past men who've been courageous and not displayed anything approaching fear at the same time - these men were not necessarily reckless, but they were certainly not foolhardy either.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
See, that 'courage needs fear' thing always bothered me. To my mind it's more like courage requires cunning. There are many examples of past men who've been courageous and not displayed anything approaching fear at the same time - these men were not necessarily reckless, but they were certainly not foolhardy either.

I think displayed is the operative word here. My point isn't that one needs to display fear, but that one needs to feel it.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sistersaucy