• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cooking Steak with Simple Implements

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
VKK, I just don't understand why one would sear then put in the oven if one eats anything less than a medium-cooked steak.

I've cooked some damn fine steaks on my cast iron just on the range, no oven. Then again, I couldn't see six inches in front of me until three days later when the smoke finally cleared.

Leonard Leroy

Reaction score
I love making steak. I make a 4 dollar steak taste like 30 bucks.

I heat up a frying pan to searing temps, and pre heat to oven to like 350-400.

I open the meat, letting it sit for a bit, so its not wet, so it sears instead of steams. Salt, pepper, and I like basil on both sides. I sear by eye. I sear it until both sides are pretty much a crust. Then I throw the frying pan with the steak into the oven, throw some butter over on both sides. I let the first side melt, turn it over, throw butter on that side, let it melt, take it out, then I let it sit.

Then I eat it, with a little worcestershire sauce on the side. Dip a bit every 3 pieces I eat or so

This gives me my preferred medium rare. I haven't really handled really nice pieces of meat however. The few times I have, there's definitely more searing, and less oven time. I keep it rare. I just want to make use the fat is still crusted, but soft on the inside, so much so that it melts on your tongue. mmmm...

Steak needs fat though.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
You don't have to keep the meat on the skillet/pan. On the contrary, take it off the pan and let it rest for 5+ min under foil, then put on a tray in the oven and use the pan to deglaze and make a simple sauce. It looks cool to transfer the pan directly from top to oven but IMO far from optimal. For a big steak, I'd do a couple of minutes on each side in the pan, 5 min rest, then 6 minutes in oven (for medium rare) +/- 2 min for very rare or well done

Damn, I liked the idea of throwing the whole skillet in the oven.

That raises another question. If a well seasoned cast iron is pretty much non stick, does it produce enough fond deglaze and make a sauce?

Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
VKK, I just don't understand why one would sear then put in the oven if one eats anything less than a medium-cooked steak.

I've cooked some damn fine steaks on my cast iron just on the range, no oven. Then again, I couldn't see six inches in front of me until three days later when the smoke finally cleared.

I generally do medium rare, and am used to cooking them only on the stove.

Recently though I have been trying thicker cuts from my butcher (~2-2.5"), and there is no way I can let a steak like that sear for long enough to cook to a med rare. First is the excessive smoke. Second, the outer crust starts to turn to a char by that point.

K

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
VKK, I just don't understand why one would sear then put in the oven if one eats anything less than a medium-cooked steak. I've cooked some damn fine steaks on my cast iron just on the range, no oven. Then again, I couldn't see six inches in front of me until three days later when the smoke finally cleared.
Yeah I find I don't need the oven to finish either. Everything in the pan. Sometimes I even use a portable gas range on my patio, with a pan, just to avoid smoking up the apartment. Then again I'm not cooking 2 inch steaks. my max is about 1.5". Regarding deglazing, I am a firm believer that nonstick produces *nearly* the same amount of fond as a metal pan. Many people, maybe even most, will disagree. IMHO there is also a benefit of nonstick, the fond tends to stick to the meat, adding more crust.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's just better when you roast it in the oven as well. No idea why but that's a strong preference for me

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
leonard has spoken many times of making a pretty woman out of a cheap whore of a steak. i believe him.

Originally Posted by Leonard Leroy
I love making steak. I make a 4 dollar steak taste like 30 bucks.

I heat up a frying pan to searing temps, and pre heat to oven to like 350-400.

I open the meat, letting it sit for a bit, so its not wet, so it sears instead of steams. Salt, pepper, and I like basil on both sides. I sear by eye. I sear it until both sides are pretty much a crust. Then I throw the frying pan with the steak into the oven, throw some butter over on both sides. I let the first side melt, turn it over, throw butter on that side, let it melt, take it out, then I let it sit.

Then I eat it, with a little worcestershire sauce on the side. Dip a bit every 3 pieces I eat or so

This gives me my preferred medium rare. I haven't really handled really nice pieces of meat however. The few times I have, there's definitely more searing, and less oven time. I keep it rare. I just want to make use the fat is still crusted, but soft on the inside, so much so that it melts on your tongue. mmmm...

Steak needs fat though.

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
leonard has spoken many times of making a pretty woman out of a cheap whore of a steak. i believe him.

In the wise words of Too Short, "You can't turn a ho into a housewife."

Leonard Leroy

Reaction score
You can make her look like one though. Up until you finally have her. Old pic, but 3 dollar chuck steak
steak.jpg

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
let's have a $7 burger at Johnny's next week.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chuck? isnt it too tough or jerky? I vaguely recall buying a chuck steak in college because it was bright red, and I couldn't eat it.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've now cooked steaks 2 nights in a row, anyone else?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I made a prime rib steak tonight, slow cooked in a pan.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads