• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

ndw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
some of my favorite looks in this threak (quar's wedding ensemble, your pics, greg's pics, trini, skinny goom's, among others) would lose nothing by removing the square and in many cases would gain, IMO. In the best outfits, in particular conservative business dress stuff, the shirt collar/tie and their relationship to the suiting is what makes the outfit really pop, for me. The square becomes a bit of a distraction. I've gone to wearing a white/cream square only when I wear my solid navy blazer, other than that, I pretty much never wear a square. I think the silk squares with all the crazy colors only take away from outfits. Also, too many patterned shirts in people's wardrobes. Stripes are one thing, but multi stripes, multi checks etc, unless very, very sedate, will only distract. Patterned suit,patterned shirt, patterned square, seen to often on this forum and almost always not good.

Hallelujah... Can I get a witness.

elgreco

Reaction score
some of my favorite looks in this threak (quar's wedding ensemble, your pics, greg's pics, trini, skinny goom's, among others) would lose nothing by removing the square and in many cases would gain, IMO. In the best outfits, in particular conservative business dress stuff, the shirt collar/tie and their relationship to the suiting is what makes the outfit really pop, for me.

This is more or less why I find myself eschewing the pocket square as of late. I tend to wear patterned jackets and solid and striped shirts on a daily basis. Given that my square collection is limited (and I struggle to harmonize them with what I am wearing), it is not worth it to me to add yet another pattern or ill-chosen color and make myself appear garish.

That said, I've come around on the idea of the cream square, and may opt to keep one of those on hand (and some paisley squares I have an affinity for). The rest of my collection may be headed for B&S shortly though...

Omar1223

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Patterned suit,patterned shirt, patterned square, seen to often on this forum and almost always not good.

+1 to this.

question regarding squares, how about mixing textures? like if i am wearing a cashmere or wool tie, would a linen square be ok or should it be silk?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The pocket square backlash is strong right now (someone should update the hype chart). But there's really no need to go that far. I personally NEVER wear a suit or sport coat without a square - I guess sometimes the square works great, other times not so great but that's just like everything else (tie, socks, whatever), and I would feel naked without one.

Every time I see skinny's recent pics, I think three things (1) looks pretty damn good; (2) ugh that collar pin again; and (3) would look just a little bit better with a square - looks unfinished to my eye.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
More than squares (which I like), we need to have a backlash against light brown shoes paired incorrectly.

A lot of people on the streets (and sadly, on this forum) think that pairing chestnut / light brown colored shoes with their dark worsteds is somehow stylish.

It is not. It looks ugly. Black or dark brown or burgundy with dark color worsteds. The lighter shades of brown with tan or light grey colored trousers.

Not to pick on Cayman, but this sort of pairing should be avoided:

fa65j5.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
^^ I don't have a problem with the color, I just think those are ugly shoes.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
^^ I don't have a problem with the color, I just think those are ugly shoes.

As a standalone, I think the color is fine - somewhat similar to EG's Burnt Pine. But I'm not a fan of how its paired with a dark grey trouser.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This discussion in this thread is wonderful fun. I mean, a decent chunk of the outfits are nice enough, sure, but it's the discussion that is genuinely amusing to browse and I hope never stops. I'm certain that at least some of you are posting slightly tongue-in-cheek at least some of the time, but the thought that a fair chunk is serious just amps up the entertainment value of the meta-story of the thread. The number of cross-purposes going on would do a Whitehall farce proud; delicious.
Originally Posted by luftvier
Red socks.
Wasn't going to post in here today, but for solidarity's sake... vNCDB:
KuP8Y.jpg

Originally Posted by quar
There is no point arguing anymore... people have jumped to defend him or attack me for the way in which I went about it, and no-one is better off for it.
Congratulations on describing the entire internet.
biggrin.gif
Originally Posted by Manton
I've been to the UK many, many times and been to the Liberty flagship store in London. I see the women's scarves occasionally but I can't recall ever seeing the men's ties outsite the store.
They're around. Not common, but around. You probably either had hysterical blindness from seeing them or have repressed the memory from the trauma it caused. People will be unsurprised to hear that I like them in general, though perhaps not the specific one MoK chose the other day.
Originally Posted by gdl203
NCBD today - welcoming the few sunrays that decided to show up
IMG01807-20110414-1015.jpg

I may have asked before, but what fabric is that jacket, please? I'm vaguel thinking about getting a new navy odd jacket, and that's a nice coloured plaid/pane.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
As a standalone, I think the color is fine - somewhat similar to EG's Burnt Pine. But I'm not a fan of how its paired with a dark grey trouser.

I like light shoes with dark suits sometimes.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
I may have asked before, but what fabric is that jacket, please? I'm vaguel thinking about getting a new navy odd jacket, and that's a nice coloured plaid/pane.
Dormeuil Scottie Derby

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads