• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Collar bars / collar pins and where to buy online?

jeffersonmc

Reaction score
Been looking for a collar bar to fit a wide-collared shirt, and havent found much online. Can anyone suggest a site or 2 with something simple and classic? (safety-pin style or just a barbell)
Something like this from Brooks Brothers.

Regardless of whether this sticks around as a trend or filters back into a less popular tie accessory, I think it is a classy touch if done right. A silver pin-style bar on a white shirt looks great.

I've seen a couple pop up on some of my favourite online shops late last year, but no longer there...

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
jpressonline.com

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
they're supposed to be worn with a point collar, or button down collar with the buttons undone.

BerryWall

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
they're supposed to be worn with a point collar, or button down collar with the buttons undone.
They are also worn with a tab collar (with or without holes.) Oxford cloth being more loosely woven than broadcloth is easier to pin and the holes disappear with washing.
As to wearing a collar pin with a button-down shirt, I would politely disagree. It is a sartorial solecism, "too much of a muchness", as my late mother would say.

jeffersonmc

Reaction score
WBaker - awesome price indeed! Might grab one of these...
gregor - love the stuff from Want. The leather case is a nice touch too! thanks!
alliswell - the stuff @ jpress was a little too busy for me - but they have a ton of other great stuff! thanks for the link.

WBaker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
Personally, I cannot understand why anyone would want to pierce his shirt collars with a collar pin. Personally, I much rather prefer a collar bar, not a collar pin. Wearing a piercing collar pin is akin to wearing a tie tack that actually pierces one's tie. Why would I want to damage either items?

I use collar pins in the Labelking/PhatGuido manor, as a tie pin, and with any type of knit tie they do not leave a mark. As for using it on ones collar (assuming there are no pre-made holes) I think if placed in the same spot the shirt would not deteriorate too quickly.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm too english for this thread but seeing people wear these bars/pins makes me feel sick. Its like wearing a button-down with a tie, so unnecessary and generally just too.... affected. Its like they wish to be on a late 70's front cover of NME.

OffTheRack

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackhood
Maybe I'm too english for this thread but seeing people wear these bars/pins makes me feel sick. Its like wearing a button-down with a tie, so unnecessary and generally just too.... affected. Its like they wish to be on a late 70's front cover of NME.

I agree that collar bars and pins tend to look like an affect or prop on all but the statliest of men--having not been worn by the business class regularly for decades.

But your comparing colar pins to a button down with a tie does betray your anglocentrism, as this has been and continues to be a staple of American business dress--and it has been long adopted by the Italians as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads