• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cocktails by decade – give me your grandpa's best drink

dylanhuebner

Reaction score
So me and some friends are planning on hosting a party where we stop by each others' apartments, each one themed for a different decade and each one with an appropriate drink from that era. I've been shopping around different blogs to get a good idea of what everyone might want to serve, but I realized the collective mind of style forum is going to be a lot better than a mere blog.

So tell me what you think, 1910's to 2000's - what drink defines a decade?

If you can't think of a cocktail for all ten just toss in one; I'll take any input I can get. Thanks!

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
1910's? you and your friends are in your 40's? This seems pretty sad if so.

samblau

Reaction score
For the close to 30 years I knew my grandparents, all they drank was vodka on the rocks with an olive. Thats it!

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
2000's - mojito or cosmo
1990's - Long Island Iced Tea
1980's - margarita
1970's - Pina Colada
1960's - martini or gin-and-tonic
1950's - the Grasshopper
1940's - Irish Coffee
1930's - Pink Lady
1920's - Everclear/Moonshine/Rotgut Whisky/Cheap Gin
1910's - WTF? Ask Dakota Rube

I'm sure these suggestions will be met with unanimous approval, or at least near unanimous with lots of helpful suggestions.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Also, it might not be a bad idea to have two cocktails per decade - one girly (rum, vodka or liquer-based), and one manly (gin or whisky based). Although your type of people probably don't have as rigidly-defined gender variation.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Brandy Manhattan has to be in there someplace.

(And thanks, FLMM; but I'm not that old.)

laugh.gif
I doubt you're even near the oldest poster, but it's fun to razz you about it, regardless. What's a brandy manhattan? What timeframe would that be? The fifties? Were you even drinking then?

dylanhuebner

Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
1910's? you and your friends are in your 40's? This seems pretty sad if so.
Er, what? I must have missed the sarcasm tag there – I'm 22. The idea was to cover a full century, so to end in the 2000s it has to start in 1910's, of course And thanks for the replies so far – don't worry, I'm making sure the manhattan gets a spot, i was thinking 40's?

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
laugh.gif
I doubt you're even near the oldest poster, but it's fun to razz you about it, regardless. What's a brandy manhattan? What timeframe would that be? The fifties? Were you even drinking then?

A classic manhattan is two parts Rye Whiskey and one part sweet (Italian) vermouth, with a splash of bitters and served with cherry as garnish.

Presumably a Brandy Manhattan would replace the Rye with Brandy.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^Yes. My ex-father-in-law — the preacher — still has one of these every single day at 4 p.m. I think he skips the bitters, though. He's 85!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
The guy here to ask is Huntsman.

I would offer a few suggestions/additions.

1980s could be a kamikaze or Long Island
1990s would be the cosmo or Jager
2000s would be mojito
Don't forget the whole, ugly Schapps craze
1960s needs to include Canadian Club

Esa

Reaction score
My grandfathers drink was an ol' fashion (1960) and my dad's drink is still a manhatten (1970). My Granpa's favorite pie was minced meat....no relation to the question but it's good to know...
smile.gif

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol @ ask rube.

Pabst is timeless and good for any decade

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads