• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cleaning sweat/armpit stains on dress shirts

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had an issue with undiagnosed Lyme disease that made me sweat profusely. In my desire to save my expensive wardrobe from ruin and after much trial and error, I discovered the Thompson T. They’re T-shirts with sewn-in barriers that absorb excess perspiration and block stain-causing elements. Even after being cured of Lyme, I wear them regularly. To me, they’re worth the money.

https://thompsontee.com/

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had an issue with undiagnosed Lyme disease that made me sweat profusely. In my desire to save my expensive wardrobe from ruin and after much trial and error, I discovered the Thompson T. They’re T-shirts with sewn-in barriers that absorb excess perspiration and block stain-causing elements. Even after being cured of Lyme, I wear them regularly. To me, they’re worth the money.

Congratulation on being cured!

dbhdnhdbh

Reaction score
The stains are caused by sweat. You need to use an antiperspirant to suppress the sweat. Deodorant tries to keep the foul smelling compounds derived from sweat from forming. That works, at least for some people, to avoid odor but it does nothing to stop sweat.

The various non chlorine bleaches, like Oxyclean, should be safe for your fine shirts. You can see how well they work. Just about all of them use hydrogen peroxide as the bleaching agent but the have various different additives to help them work better, dissolve more easily, include bluing agents, etc.

If you want to avoid the other ingredients you can try straight peroxide.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I always wear a t-shirt under my dress shirts. Those Thompson Tees sound great. Expensive though.

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulation on being cured!
Thank you. A Lyme-Literate Doctor (LLD) certainly helped. It took 6 years to diagnose and about a year to get rid of.

I always wear a t-shirt under my dress shirts. Those Thompson Tees sound great. Expensive though.
Yeah, they're pricey, but I think they're worth it. If you sign up for their email list, they send deals every few months or so. Usually 20% off. Around major holidays, they'll take off 25%. I use these opportunities to order several and also save on shipping. On the V-necks, I'm torn between the bamboo which is fitted and has good length, but a slightly high V-neck that works better for one button undone than two—which my preference, and the traditional-fit, deep V, which is roomier (but not too big) but is shorter in the body and more easily untucks. With the crewneck, I always get the bamboo.

GIIN

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I have been using Nellie's All-Natural Laundry Soda and Oxygen Brightener for a number of years. I found them more gentle on clothes than Oxyclean and Shout. The Laundry Soda and Oxygen Brightener both works well in hot or cold water, and you only use a tiny spoonful of it for each load. https://www.nelliesclean.com/product-category/laundry/

I also agree with those who wear undershirts to avoid pit stains.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the optimal solution for me would be a concoction I could put on the shirts before washing that would eliminate build up so I don’t have to do my more complicated procedure every year.

Well if you’re only washing your shirts once a year ...

Anyway this thread is useless without @Reevolving and a roll of white tape!

(One for the oldies there!)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads