• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cleaning sweat/armpit stains on dress shirts

jts287

Reaction score
Fels Naptha for ring-around-the-collar, undershirts to prevent pit yellowing.

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Switch to another deodorant that is natural and see how you like it.

When I get home I'll get the brand.

Are you even reading this thread? @An Acute Style already stated twice that he uses a natural, aluminum free deodorant.

Someone else pointed out that there's more to armpit stains than deodorant; aluminum already in your body can cause it as well. (I don't know for a fact if this is true, but it makes sense and explains why some people get stains on the insides of collars and cuffs, too.)

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you even reading this thread? @An Acute Style already stated twice that he uses a natural, aluminum free deodorant.

Someone else pointed out that there's more to armpit stains than deodorant; aluminum already in your body can cause it as well. (I don't know for a fact if this is true, but it makes sense and explains why some people get stains on the insides of collars and cuffs, too.)

Nope. I missed it

:rolleyes:

Answrme2000

Reaction score
Raise works great the only problem is if you have already treated the stain with bleach. Bleach reacts with the proteins in sweat stains making them permanent. So raise will eliminate the stains you don't bleach or it will remove the stains you made up to the point you bleached the shirt. Does this make sense?

erakettu

Reaction score
Others stated they use a bar soap as a pre-wash.

I usually wash with a "bile soap" or "gall soap", not sure what it is in english, google should help you out. Anyhow, bile-acid is a natural grease remover and in this case it really helps in stain removal. In addition to armpit stains it helps with blood and wine marks also.

Application is similar to the first post. Product (atleast what i use) is kinda smelly, but as you machine wash shirts afterwards, there's no downside to this.

Wilson13

Reaction score
Those stains are actually oxidization of aluminum not only from your deodorant but also aluminum you already have in your body. RAISE armpit stain remover will remove sweat stains from your clothes as well as ring around the collar. It is a pre treatment wash that bonds to the stain turnning it into a salt so it can be washed away in your laundry. It's sold on amazon.

I concur that Raise works well.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Raise works great the only problem is if you have already treated the stain with bleach. Bleach reacts with the proteins in sweat stains making them permanent. So raise will eliminate the stains you don't bleach or it will remove the stains you made up to the point you bleached the shirt. Does this make sense?

Thanks. I haven’t bleached my shirts. I’ll check this out.

i use SHOUT to remove the stains from the neck collar. Spray it on, toothbrush to agitate it, and let it sit for 5-10 mins and then regular cold wash.

I use shout for collar and cuffs. It hasn’t worked well for me on armpit stains.

Others stated they use a bar soap as a pre-wash.

I usually wash with a "bile soap" or "gall soap", not sure what it is in english, google should help you out. Anyhow, bile-acid is a natural grease remover and in this case it really helps in stain removal. In addition to armpit stains it helps with blood and wine marks also.

Application is similar to the first post. Product (atleast what i use) is kinda smelly, but as you machine wash shirts afterwards, there's no downside to this.

Thanks. I’ll google it.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
great thread.

i'm extra sweaty, even when freezing cold. what about stains that show up on wool garments, like sweaters and hopsack sport coats? I tried my local dry cleaner, and they haven't been successful. It's also possible they aren't that skilled...

Yagub Zamanov

Reaction score
Try razorock's best deodorant on earth. Solved my problem and I don't have to deal with all that washing procedures.

Answrme2000

Reaction score
great thread.

i'm extra sweaty, even when freezing cold. what about stains that show up on wool garments, like sweaters and hopsack sport coats? I tried my local dry cleaner, and they haven't been successful. It's also possible they aren't that skilled...
Wool is a difficult fabric to treat due to its high absorbancy. Though sturdy it is easliy dissolved or damaged by chemicals. Wools and silks are hard to treat.

rlawrence

Reaction score
The Laundress makes a wash/stain bar that I use for collars/cuffs and armpits. They also have a bleach alternative that is fabric and color safe that works well to get body stains out. It works best if the wash/stain is used after each ware to get limited buildup in the first place.

aklasu

Reaction score
For about a year, I switched to collard white shirts everyday for work. I tried a few products in preparation. The OxiClean method (the one I had) worked but it left a residue on surfaces. My final solution that I use to this day is Resolve spray bottle (see photo). My process is to spray my shirt armpits, collar and cuffs, then I soak for a day (probably excessive). I then wash the shirts with typical detergent and I do also include the Resolve Oxi-Action, Laundry Stain Remover in the washer. I think I could skip the last step but it works for me.

IMG_1117.JPG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads