• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Don't blow a gasket, K. It's all for fun, yes?

Let's not oversell this look. I like it too, but aside from the suede shoes, it is merely a solid, well-executed fit, well-tailored, and colors are nicely chosen for a muted palette: blue blazer, gray trousers, dark solid (or near solid) textured tie, and brown belt/shoes. I would thumb it, but that's consistent with finding it just solid.

"Optimal" might not be the best choice of words, but the point is something as to how you might feel about this comparison from Murl (and assume the first one is an odd jacket and not part of a suit which it is, tastefully chosen for a sober event):

There are other factors here, but abstract away from them. Were the first an odd jacket, sure, it can look good even with navy pants (
devil.gif
; see Greg's), but accessories/shirt aside, I like the second more as a gray jacket (and have learned to). Maybe the way to put it is which would be your first pick and then, where in the chain of SCs that you might acquire would the gray solid? If you rank them in the order I do, then why?

Last edited:

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

One thing that got lost in the solids combo discussion is why it might be less optimal even if there are fits that can look good.

They look good, tailoring aside, when the color combinations look good. The navy/gray pents fit that people are favoring (me too) is really rather pedestrian, I think, aside from the warm suede shoes which is where the life of the fit comes (brown calf would make it rather boring). I mean think about it: blue blazer, gray pants, dark (brown) tie. We’d assign a fit like that for starters in the GNAT thread. I like it and I would wear it, but it is safe.

Funny, my opinion is the exact opposite. Solids are perfection and variation from that can be just fine, but the best solids are always better (to me) than any variation. Obviously that is my personal opinion and not the majority opinion.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Funny, my opinion is the exact opposite. Solids are perfection and variation from that can be just fine, but the best solids are always better (to me) than any variation. Obviously that is my personal opinion and not the majority opinion.

Do you think that's because of the conservative work environment you inhabit (law, yes)? I.e. patterns would look more out of place?

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you think that's because of the conservative work environment you inhabit (law, yes)? I.e. patterns would look more out of place? 

No, just personal aesthetic preference. I am also a musician (bass player - both classical and rock music), with a preference for playing fewer notes and a stronger preference for playing roots and the most simple harmonies (3rds and 5ths). I have a similar preference in architecture. Even with the food I eat I am labeled an "anti-foodie" by those around me in that I like a small number of simple ingredients, simply prepared.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No, just personal aesthetic preference. I am also a musician (bass player - both classical and rock music), with a preference for playing fewer notes and a stronger preference for playing roots and the most simple harmonies (3rds and 5ths). I have a similar preference in architecture. Even with the food I eat I am labeled an "anti-foodie" by those around me in that I like a small number of simple ingredients, simply prepared.

There's a lot to be said for simplicity, and that's your point about clothes too. In that respect, the navy/gray fit is nice.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A brief glimpse at my extremism (quick shots of my winter closet right now):

Two patterned t-shirts (neither has been worn in the last year or longer), one patterned sweater, all solid pants:

Simple shoes (admittedly hard to see):

Solid flannels:

One herringbone jacket (far right), one navy jacket with a lighter blue overcheck (second from right), one very faint narrow striped navy suit (fifth from right):

My shirts are harder to capture, but you would see half solid blue, a quarter blue base with white stripes (narrow stripes for business shirts or university striped oxfords for more casual looks), a few ginghams and plaid flannels.

At least I am consistent. :embar:

Last edited:

kulata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't blow a gasket, K. It's all for fun, yes? Let's not oversell this look. I like it too, but aside from the suede shoes, it is merely a solid, well-executed fit, well-tailored, and colors are nicely chosen for a muted palette: blue blazer, gray trousers, dark solid (or near solid) textured tie, and brown belt/shoes. I would thumb it, but that's consistent with finding it just solid. "Optimal" might not be the best choice of words, but the point is something as to how you might feel about this comparison from Murl (and assume the first one is an odd jacket and not part of a suit which it is, tastefully chosen for a sober event): There are other factors here, but abstract away from them. Were the first an odd jacket, sure, it can look good even with navy pants :)devil: ; see Greg's), but accessories/shirt aside, I like the second more as a gray jacket (and have learned to). Maybe the way to put it is which would be your first pick and then, where in the chain of SCs that you might acquire would the gray solid? If you rank them in the order I do, then why?
For a grey odd jacket, I don't think Murlsquirl's first jacket is textured enough for me. Since I already own 2 grey odd jackets I'll just throw out the options I like: 1. Bold Plaid in flannel (own) 2. Grey Flannel with a window pane pattern (own) 3. Herringbone flannel like EliodA's I'll probably pick buy herringbone at some point.

DutchW

Reaction score

I agree 100% with this. Often times I think guys get carried away with too many patterns and colors, which ultimately makes an outfit look messy and fussy. IMO a little bit of variance goes a very long way.

phphl

Reaction score
And if you want to wear grey odd jacket just make sure it is very textured and reverse the colors.
@kulata By reversing the colours, do you mean a grey jacket with, say, navy pants?

With regards to navy, SF seems to have reached the consensus that navy odd pants don't work? If they actually do, in what texture would it work? (I'm thinking about navy cords... not sure if flannel does)

The problem I've with a grey odd jacket is that it's relatively hard to pair it with pants in a lighter colour (where choices are arguably limited to cream/white). In that case, does it work with a pair of darker pants? (this again seems to go against the SF view that dark coloured top and light coloured bottom work best...)

Others please feel free to chime in! Would love to hear your thoughts.
smile.gif

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are a couple threads on navy pants. I tend to dislike them for a similar reason to why I dislike charcoal trousers when worn with a jacket. I will wear navy linen trousers sans jacket in summer, though. From time to time I toy with the idea of RAD blue flannels, but I never pull the trigger. Light to medium grey, tan and cream are enough for me. Maybe green and brown too.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Live dangerously. Play a flat 7 in the bass line. Let it fall to the 3rd in the next chord. If it was good enough for Mozart...

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was at a Red Hot Chili Peppers concert. Flea had a solo spot and started playing a chord progression on his bass. It was the Minuet from Bach's second solo cello suite. Overjoyed, I turned to a random girl next to me and shouted, "Hear that? He's playing Bach." "What?" she screamed. "Bach, he's playing Bach." She started inching away from me as if I had Ebola.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kulata, why do you say solid odd jackets are the road less traveled? They seem pretty standard to me, and are not terribly hard to employ imho.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads