• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clarks Desert Boots

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by boxdiver
I'm shocked that these shoes are acceptable on this board! It seems everytime shoes are under $200 they are called cheap! This is good news for me, as I think I'm getting a pair.
They're not jet-approved but you'll find that many of us like them. Am wearing the greys today.

beowolf

Reaction score
I like these: http://www.clarks.co.uk/find/keyword...ct-is-00111443 But I don't see anyone in the USA that carries them
frown.gif

boxdiver

Reaction score
Anyone own more than one pair of them?

I was thinking of black and brown suede but it seems like overkill.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Anyone own more than one pair of them? I was thinking of black and brown suede but it seems like overkill.
Ahem... I am the proud owner of 4 pair. Chocolate brown, grey, sand, and wolf. I've reported this before.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
Thanks, I am not a fan of redwing though.

me neither, usually, but their desert boots arent too bad. i just dont like the wedge type sole

melonadejello

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone compare the black leather to black suede? Opinions on which is a better pick?

Get suede.... the leather on these isn't too great, and the suede is just so much sweeter.
If you want black leather boots, get something else.

Mr_Mike

Reaction score
hi all... first post.

bought first pair of DB's yesterday, black suede. They look really good. Paired with a nice dark denim they look amazing. Although searching through this thread the blacks suedes seem to get a lot of stick?! don't understand why.

I say i bought my first pair, as i wil certainly buying another in the future, probably sand suede... good times

davewe

Reaction score
Yes, 35 years is correct! I've been wearing Clarks since college, when the Wallabees were extremely popular. My feet are a bit wide and high arched. I was a big walker when I was younger and used to go through shoes in a matter of a couple months. And i could never find shoes that were comfortable. That is until I discovered Clarks.

I've owned lots of Clarks since and rarely can destroy them. Usually after I've beat them up for a few years they get relegated to gardening or shop shoe status. There still too good and comfy to throw out.

Once in a while I'd stray off the true course and buy something else, either because someone had strongly recommended I try those new fangled Earth Shoes, or Timberlands or Merrells, or because my local store was out of Clarks. But no matter what else I bought for whatever amount of cash, I always returned to Clarks. There was no comparison for comfort or durability.

I've owned lots of wallabees, Natureveldts (the best, IMO) and many Clarks models that have come and gone. But for whatever reason, I've never owned a Desert Boot. Maybe my local stores didn't carry them or maybe whenever it was time to get a new pair the store would have a sale on another Clarks model. But with this discussion thread, I decided to take the plunge and received a pair of beeswax DBs about a week ago.

One thing I can't do since I've never owned a pair of DBs is compare the current crop to the older, made in England versions. Almost everyone who wears Clarks knows that the current, made in Asia models (the DBs were made in Vietnam) aren't quite as good as those manufactured in Great Britain. My current wallabees are close but not quite as nice. And I have a 10 year old pair of Natureveldts that I won't replace, since the current Nature II model is supposedly not quite as good.

Anyway, I received the DBs. A note on the fit. I'd seen many comments that DBs run large yet on the Clarks website it says they are narrow and to buy 1/2 size larger. What to do? I decided to buy my normal size. When I received them, I understood the comments. Yes, they are longer in the toe than other Clarks I've owned; I'd say easily 1/2 size larger. OTOH, they are a bit narrower. So, in the end, they fit me fine. If you don't have a wide foot you will want to order your DBs 1/2 size smaller. But if you have a wide foot like mine and are used to Clarks fitting your wide foot - stick with your normal size.

My 1st impression was that the leather looked and felt cheaper than any other Clarks I've ever owned. It certainly was thinner. But again, since I've never owned DBs I can't say whether that is because of the current manufacture or whether they've always been like this. After all, they are less expensive shoes than Natureveldts or even Wallabees.

I was also unimpressed by the thin laces and worried that they'd break the 1st time I yanked on them too hard.

I put the shoes on. Now my experience with Clarks has been the same all these years with all models. Since I have a slightly wide foot, the shoes hurt for a couple days but then - walla - they conform to my foot and feel like a dream. The DBs were no different. If anything they killed my feet for 2 days worse than previous Clarks. But on the 3rd day, like Lazarus rising - they fit.

I love the crepe soles and the shoes like all Clarks are comfortable. And while I still believe the leather is a bit thin and cheap the shoes look cool. I look forward to wearing them for a long time. How about another 35 years of Clarks?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads