• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chukkas - Alfred Sargent Havant sizing help

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Thanks for your comments. As mentioned in the OP the C&J are 200 GBP and Loake are 125.

Schnurretiger

Reaction score
I agree with MoK, the roundness of the Kempton's toe is somewhere in between the Chiltern and the Tetbruy. I'll post some pics of my Kemptons later on maybe you can get a better impression of the toe then. I think the Loakes run pretty big. With my next pair, I might go down a whole size.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How much larger do the Kempton's run than C&J? 1/2 size?

Vox Populi

Reaction score
I picked these up recently in a charity shop for £4. Had them re-soled. Suede is not my sort of thing, but I can't resist a bargain. Alfred Sargent "Bexhill". Beautifully made boot actually. I'm not keen on AS generally - the leather used is often fairly poor quality - but these are great.

Borrelli

Reaction score
I have the Kemptons in calf, can definitely recommend them. Value for money is outstanding. Leather is a bit stiffer than C&J, required a bit more breaking in, but that won't be a problem with suede. Otherwise build quality is very similar and in some aspects better (real metal shank instead of wood with C&J).

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
The Chiltern looks very nice in this pic. I think the picture is by either salsalocust or ebay seller ELITE FORUM

Yes, the pic is by Salsalocust.

Another C&J model for your consideration is the 'Chukka', if you don't mind that it's unlined and on a leather sole. The last places it somewhere between Tetbury and Chiltern to my eye.

I should receive a pair if these in the next couple of days, so if you're interested I'll be able to tell you more about the fit (I sized up a ½ number due to recommendations here and from Pediwear).

jackdaw

Reaction score
Loake also has a suede chukka called Pimlico in the 1880 line. It's priced at 145 GBP at Pediwear, but they have a price match plus 5% discount and they are 130 GBP with free UK shipping at Loake's own site so Pediwear sold them to me for 123 and 107 ex VAT. I like them--looks like they are in between the CJ Chiltern and Tetbury for pointiness judging by photos. The Loake and Pediwear photos make the Pimlico look clunkier than it is in real life. From the photos and descriptions I can't discern any difference between Loake Pimlico and Kempton??

Spark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it's suede, I'd say go for the Kempton - I have a pair and they have held up very well and the shape is appealing, not too pointy and not at all blobby. Like many above, they are all weather beater shoes.

If it's calf, then C&J probably gets the nod. I tend to think that paying more for suede shoes just isn't worth it as there is very little difference in quality between the uppers of any of the UK brands.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your comments

Originally Posted by Schnurretiger
I agree with MoK, the roundness of the Kempton's toe is somewhere in between the Chiltern and the Tetbruy. I'll post some pics of my Kemptons later on maybe you can get a better impression of the toe then. I think the Loakes run pretty big. With my next pair, I might go down a whole size.

The Loakes in your pics look very nice.

Originally Posted by Parker
How much larger do the Kempton's run than C&J? 1/2 size?

Even I am interested in knowint how the Loakes run sizing wise. If I am 9.5 UK in the Tetbury should I order the 9.5 in the Kempton or size up /down

Originally Posted by Kaplan

Another C&J model for your consideration is the 'Chukka', if you don't mind that it's unlined and on a leather sole.

I would prefer a dainite soled shoe.

Any idea what are the chukkas in the pics below

%E3%82%BC%E3%83%8B%E3%82%A2%E3%82%B9%E3%83%9F%E3%82%BA%E3%83%BC%E3%83%A9%EF%BC%93%E6%B1%BA%E6%B1%BA.jpg

%E3%82%BC%E3%83%8B%E3%82%A2%E3%83%91%E3%83%B3%E3%83%84%E8%A3%BE.jpg

labravajazz

Reaction score
I have Chiltern suede UK11 and they are a great shoe for any weather - I have had Loake too and I like them but find CJ are a good step up in quality comfort and longevity IMO. The Chiltern are practical and look good too, perfect in the weather and casual. A big step higher are these EG Silverstone with much finer quality suede and double leather soles, very elegant look and very comfortable too but less casual I guess than the Chiltern which are great allrounders and certainly a better quailty than Loake.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for comments. No offence but from your pic its hard to appreciate the beauty of yours EGs.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
UPDATE I ordered the Chiltern in 9.5UK and they turned out to be half a size too small for me. SO I am again looking for a pair of chukkas. Now I am considering 1. Alfred Sargent Havant ( 150 GBP)
09Havant-zoom.jpg
2. Loake Kempton (125 GBP)
d650a496-8315-486c-9d56-5c95c5d82a58.main.jpg
3. Grenson Oscar (100GBP)
1629350-rescaledpic-375x500.jpg
I would appreciate your thoughts regarding the 3 above. Thanks

Smudge

Reaction score
Having followed your trials and tribulations since your Tetbury disappointment a few weeks ago, I'd say you were meant to have the Kemptons. The colour and sole would be more versatile than the Oscar IMO. The Havant looks very smart so would be my rec if you want a more dressy Chukka.

FWIW I wasn't even in the market for some Chukkas until I came across this thread a few weeks back. In true SF style, I suddenly realised how empty my life and wardrobe was without a pair of suede Chukka's. I ended up ordering the Kempton from Pediwear two weeks ago, they haven't arrived but expect them next week. I wish I'd ordered from Herring's as IME order-to-door (Sydney) is consistently < 5 days, besides its fun checking the progress of your order via UPS website
smile.gif
But that's a story for another Thread...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads