• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Christmas in NYC - appropriate pack list?

joneblaze

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'll be leaving sunny Sydney this December to do a quick 3 week run around some of South America (Peru/Inca Trail, Bolivia and Brazil) before meeting up with some UK friends in NYC for Christmas. Am attempting to pack light for the SA trip and considering sending some cold weather gear to the US ahead of me. Can you NY forumers give some insight on appropriate dress around town? We'll be mostly doing the tourist thing, but hoping to fit in a few nice dinners, check out some US vino at a winebar or two and perhaps go to a club one night. Are a pair of nice Nudies, black leather laced shoes and a smart buttoned long sleeve enough to get into most places? More importantly I'm trying to find out what most of you get around in for casual/urban wear during the cold Christmas season! Btw, we're thinking of renting an apartment around the Lower East Side or thereabouts - any recommendations for food/entertainment around town is much appreciated.
smile.gif
cheers Jon

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude, just BUY clothes in NYC.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
chinos and a blazer at the least if you want to get into nice restaurants like per se, jean georges, eleven madison park, etc (all recommended restaurants esp lunch at emp). i would at least try out babbo's if you're on a budget

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't bring denim.

Snow will **** them up.

joneblaze

Reaction score
Chinos? I'm 27 lol.

What do you guys wear if not denim? Buying clothes was an option I considered. Can't buy pants though, cos I'm a stocky 5"7 and need everything altered!

How cold does it get? What setup do you need to get around and see the sights?

Appreciate the advice btw

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Temperatures can be anywhere from 5C to quite a bit below freezing. The winter wind really whips down the Hudson from Canada. There can be a lot of wet snow on the streets.

Figure on using at least one jacket/tie getup for dinners, shows, etc. For daytime, nearly anything goes (see "Naked Cowboy" photos)-- you can do jeans with sweater and pea coat or leather jacket if that's your style. More flexible would be a tweed sport jacket plus a lined Burberry or similar.

mintyfresh

Reaction score
You can dine at fine restaurants in a nice pair of jeans and a jacket.

Be sure to bring a scarf - they really do help keep your body temperature up while walking through the cold.

If it snows, the snow will turn black and will make everything disgusting. Bring a pair of boots to keep your feet dry while touring the streets.

Although the fine-dining is great - Jean Georges, Per Se, Babbo etc - you'll also have the world's cuisine in front of you. Do your research and make sure you try out the city's best pizza, indian food, chinese food, mexican truck, halal truck, ramen, burger joint etc etc etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics