Choosing a good pin stripe for MTM

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TheDarkKnight, Nov 29, 2009.

1. TheDarkKnight

TheDarkKnight Senior member

Hello All,

As the title says, I am looking to choose a pin stripe cloth for MTM in Spring.

I think pin stripe is a difficult look to wear well, as personally I prefer a very subtle pin stripe, so perhaps 10mm to 13mm apart and a very fine stripe.

However I am not sure if I would suit this, this is just an observation from seeing suits on people.

I am 5'10, 38" chest and weigh 150 pounds, so a slim frame which I think would work better with a more narrow pin stripe.

How do you guys go about choosing cloth for MTM and get a good sense of what the finished article looks like? The tailor I will use only really keeps finished goods until they are picked up.

I am looking for a good mid grey, and also a navy pin stripe, something very classic and elegant

Thanks [​IMG]

2. TheDarkKnight

Bump [​IMG]

Hello All,

As the title says, I am looking to choose a pin stripe cloth for MTM in Spring.

I think pin stripe is a difficult look to wear well, as personally I prefer a very subtle pin stripe, so perhaps 10mm to 13mm apart and a very fine stripe.

However I am not sure if I would suit this, this is just an observation from seeing suits on people.

I am 5'10, 38" chest and weigh 150 pounds, so a slim frame which I think would work better with a more narrow pin stripe.

How do you guys go about choosing cloth for MTM and get a good sense of what the finished article looks like? The tailor I will use only really keeps finished goods until they are picked up.

I am looking for a good mid grey, and also a navy pin stripe, something very classic and elegant

Thanks [​IMG]

3. Dave83

Dave83 New Member

I don't think you have to worry too much. People read to much. Go with what you like. It's how you carry yourself when wearing the suit that matters. Scabal and Holland and Sherry have a good range of stripes. The scabal "Royal Classics" bunch is very good as well as the H&S "Target" bunch. If you are ever down in london, pop in and i will gladly show you a good variety!

4. knittieguy

knittieguy Senior member

If you haven't done this already, I would recommend that you try on a few pinstripes to see what looks good rather than just thinking that a particularly type of stripe will look good for your frame. I would have picked a narrow stripe for myself until I tried on a few track stripe suits and realized that they looked better on me. I never would have picked them just from a swatch. That is a big problem with picking a suit from a swatch; it is very difficult to tell what it's going to look like as a complete suit.

5. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

I'd choose a wider pinstripe than 10-13mm, perhaps more like 25mm. It is easier to play around with when pairing ties and shirts, and doesn't overwhelm the suit or the cloth.

6. The Louche

The Louche Senior member

I'd choose a wider pinstripe than 10-13mm, perhaps more like 25mm. It is easier to play around with when pairing ties and shirts, and doesn't overwhelm the suit or the cloth.

Agreed. You want something with fairly wide spacing (although not super wide), more of a chalk stripe than a pin stripe. You instinct for something with a faint stripe isnt bad either. I've had a chalk stripe suit years ago with stripes that were just more than bold enough to see; it was easy to wear in business settings.

7. coltboy75

coltboy75 Senior member

Today I am wearing a dual pinstripe navy suit. The main stripe is royal blue with a faint silver stripe in between. From a distance of about 8-10 feet you can't see the the faint silver stripe, unless I pull it out with the tie. I like this look on a navy suit as I feel it gives me a host of shirt and tie options. My two cents.

8. TheDarkKnight

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies. I think trying a variety of styles on is a good idea first. I definitely find it hard to imagine what a swatch would look like on a suit.

Although their fits are not too sharp, Marks and spencers in the UK has literally 100 patterns in suiting, so I may try there.

I shall look on the H&S and Scabal sites also, thank you! Can anyone recommend other cloths please?

That's interesting re the wider stripe, I shall see how that looks [​IMG]

Thanks again

9. Matt S

Matt S Senior member

I think the type of stripe and spacing depends on the suit's use. I like chalkstripes spaced farther apart than pinstripes. Chalkstripes I find are better for daytime business wear, where pinstripes are a little more versatile. I find that narrower spacing makes the suit seem less business like in non-business situations.

10. Coburn

Coburn Senior member

I've been thinking about an MTM pinstripe for several months.

You and I are appear to be the same size and similar taste. I want something conservative and subtle.

Are you thinking navy or charcoal?

11. TheDarkKnight

I've been thinking about an MTM pinstripe for several months.

You and I are appear to be the same size and similar taste. I want something conservative and subtle.

Are you thinking navy or charcoal?

Hi Coburn, I would like to get both really