• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chippewa Boots

jhwendland

Reaction score
Does the 20065 not work well in the snow? That's one of the main reasons I bought them.

scypticalchymist

Reaction score
I own the LL Bean model with the smoother Vibram sole and winter is not a problem. They are not too slippery in the snow and generally are warm with wool socks. The lug sole is better I'm sure, but I don't like the look as much. I'm talking Canadian winters too!

mixProtocol

Reaction score
The Vibram on the LLBean model might be a bit more 'grippy' than the Vibram GumLite sole on the 20065. It could just be the wax that's used floors at my office, but in my 20065s, I can skid like Tom Cruise in Risky Business if I try hard enough. I'm sure it'd be fine in snow, but I'll feel more comfortable with a lugged sole ... and the extra 2" of leather will help with climbing through snow mounds at the curb (while keep the snow from falling into the boot).

matthewh

Reaction score
The Vibram on the LLBean model might be a bit more 'grippy' than the Vibram GumLite sole on the 20065. It could just be the wax that's used floors at my office, but in my 20065s, I can skid like Tom Cruise in Risky Business if I try hard enough. I'm sure it'd be fine in snow, but I'll feel more comfortable with a lugged sole ... and the extra 2" of leather will help with climbing through snow mounds at the curb (while keep the snow from falling into the boot).
I have the cap toe and cordovan versions of the LLBean Boots. I also have two other pair of Chippewa work boots with the Gumlite sole. We live on a few acres of hilly land. I wear the Gumlite sole boots all the time working outside (never really worn inside) and seldom slip unless I'm walking thru some really slick mud.

The LLBean boots I'll use just walking around and for general wear, including going to work at my office. The cap toe boot slips quite a bit outside if I'm walking uphill and the grass is wet. The sole on the cordovan boot seems to grip a little better. Both of these will slip on smooth concrete if there's some loose dirt or sand present. I've not had any problems with them indoors.

The only experience I have with snow is with my hiking / backpacking boots. Those have always had a lugged Vibram sole and I wouldn't want anything else.

stuffstuff

Reaction score
i've been trying to find the chippewa service boot in crazy horse and it seems like it's sold out everywhere and so i'm looking at the chippewa 6inch apache boot as an alternative.

my question(s) is(are)... do the apache boots fit the same as the service boots? i got sized for an 8.5d in the service boot and it was a bit snug in the width - would it be safe to order an 8.5ee with the apache?

also... are the treads as prominent in person as they appear in the pics? i wanted it as a casual boot and have little experience with these kinds of things. are cobblers able to resole them or file down the tread a bit?

also noticed a similar one without the treads, but the leather looks a bit different...

http://www.zappos.com/chippewa-american-handcrafted-gq-apache-lacer-boot-brown

same question really... anyone know what the sizing is like relative to the service boot?

Last edited:

jhwendland

Reaction score
As far as width is concerned, I'd recommend sticking with D. I've got fairly wide feet and the D works fine for me. Then again, I prefer my shoes to fit a bit snug.

quasi-lurker

Reaction score
After reading this thread I decided to get a pair of "GQ" Chocolate Apache's. When they arrived I worked in some leather lotion and soon after I slapped on two coats of Meltonian cream in burgundy.

I've had them for about 5 days and I'm more than happy with the purchase.

bradf

Reaction score
That color looks nice! Did you use Meltonian #145 Burgundy?

jhwendland

Reaction score
What was your method on applying that Meltonian cream? I did the same with mine, but they didn't turn out as well.

quasi-lurker

Reaction score
I used a similar method to what mixProtocol described earlier in the thread, but with a couple of differences:

1) Clean the boots with a horse hair brush. You may need to clean them a bit more thoroughly if the boots have been worn.
2) Apply a leather conditioner (I used Allen Edmonds conditioner cleaner). Let the boots sit for an hour.
3) Using a shoe polish dauber (or cotton cloth), apply a small amount of shoe cream. Work in the cream using circular motions. Work one section at a time.
4) Once the cream has been fully applied, let the boots dry for up to an hour.
5) Apply another coat if needed (which I did), then leave the boots to dry overnight.
6) Use a horse hair brush to take off the excess cream that may remain on top of the leather.
7) Using a very slightly wet buffing/polishing cloth, buff the boots to your desired shine.

The conditioner cleaner, polishing cloth, and horse hair brush I used were from Allen Edmonds, but I gnabbed the Kiwi dauber from Amazon when I was ordering the meltonian shoe cream.

Another note: a small amount of cream goes a long way.

Sipreano

Reaction score
Here are my 20080s after the first treatment with mid brown shoes cream.
Love the boots. LUG sole definitely way to go for winter boots on snow.
Here's my sizing recommendation: with thick winter socks same size as dress shoes, with normal socks definitely 1/2 a size smaller.
I have a pair in US 11.5 EE for sale (shipping within Europe) if anyone is interested, i had to order another pair in US 11 EE as 11.5 was too big for me.

mjoneson

Reaction score
I picked up a pair of Chippewas from eBay for 70 and I just got them today! I was wondering if anyone can help me figure out the specifics of these boots, because I can't seem to find a model number anywhere. I cap is a slightly darker brown than the rest of the boot, which I love.
[/IMG]

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads