1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Chippewa Boots

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Macready, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Winterbourne

Winterbourne Senior member

I bought the 6" Rodeo Tan Chippewas off Amazon for a steal - $105.00 shipped. They are nearly identical to the ones J.Crew is selling for $260-280.

Anyhow, I purchased these for the nasty NE winters and sparing my Red Wing Beckmans and Wolverine 1000s the onslaught without sacrificing too much style.

The first pic is what they look like out of the box, and the subsequent photos are after I've applied saphir and snoseal, which didn't darken them awfully too much. Welted sole, vibram soles, and very comfortable. They seem to run a half size larger like the 1000 Miles do.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. mixProtocol

mixProtocol Senior member

I was seriously contemplating the Wolverine Montomery @ $270 and the L.L.Bean Katahdin Iron Works Engineer @ $190 but ended up going with the Chippewa 20065 (Chocolate Apache). The best part was the price on Amazon -- $107, minus a 20% discount for signing up for the Shoe Deals mail list*, brought the final price to $86!

The boots should be here on Tueday -- I plan on giving them a few coats of polish with Meltonian #164 "Dark Cordovan Burgundy" creme, followed perhaps by a coat of Obenauf's LP later on. I'll post before/after picks of the polishing, in case I'm not the only one interested in the results...

Also, if anyone's interested, follow the directions in the following link to get your own 20% Amazon shoes coupon:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/promotions/details/popup/A3D440IIIKD2XG

/mP

1 person likes this.
  3. mixProtocol

My Chippewa "GQ" boots (6" 20065 lacers in "Chocolate Apache") arrived today! The finish of the leather was a bit rougher than I anticipated, leading me to wonder how well they'd take the Meltonian boot creme (#164, Dark Cordovan). After testing a small swatch of the upper tongue, I decided it was worth the risk. Here's a before shot (note their texture, especially in the picture on the left):

[​IMG]
    Using a rubber gloves, I applied the Meltonian cream by finger, massaging it in as best I could, and then brushing with a toothbrush to work it into the fibers. After 30 minutes of drying, I gave them a light buff with a horsehair brush and cotton t-shirt, before applying a second coat in the same fashion.

I let the second coat dry for a good hour and, after buffing, the boots took on a satin sheen of brownish-eggplant. Following a day of wear, hints of plum are appearing in the creases of the leather. It's hard to see the actual color in the "after" pictures, the bottom two might be the most accurate (ignore my lounge pants).

[​IMG]
    I'm incredibly pleased with how these turned out! I'll likely wear them for a few weeks before deciding whether to apply polish or wax. Obenauf's LP will likely darken the leather a bit, so I'm thinking of using it on the uppers so they'll contrast with the toe. I'm also contemplating getting a pair of "Rodeo Tan" to treat with some other color polish (though I want to see how these age first...)

/mP

1 person likes this.
  4. VentureCompound

VentureCompound Member

Followed your amazon promo code set up and got my own pair of painfully researched Chipp's for a staggeringly low price of $86.00. It was between this and the LL Bean Katahdin's at $190.00. No contest.

5. mixProtocol

Nice Venture, I'm glad someone else took advantage of that deal! Like you, I did a lot of research before buying my Chips; I've been wearing them for 4+ days/week for the past month or so. They're incredibly comfortable (after the first few days of break-in). The color and shine from the Meltonian creme that I applied a month ago has held up wonderfully. If you're looking to make them a bit more "office-acceptable", I highly recommend it.

6. VentureCompound

VentureCompound Member

That made my decision so much easier. What are your opinions on the obenhauf method some swear by?

7. mixProtocol

I waited on the Obenauf's LP mainly because I thought it would make the leather less likely to absorb the color from the Meltonian creme. I've used it on other boots and it definitely protects (and darkens) the leather. Once it dries, it can be a little tacky but it seems like you can polish over it with a paste wax (Kiwi) for a kind of matte/satin-type shine.

8. VentureCompound

VentureCompound Member

Ive heard it darkens then fades after a bit of wearing. Which is fine with me. Im always seriously amazed how fast Amazon ships their products out. Ordered Friday afternoon here on Monday before noon. I plan on giving these a good weeks worth of wear and breaking in then conditioning them with the LP. Looks like Ill be starting my new job with some steez under me.

9. joshmick

joshmick Senior member

I had to order a pair as well, such a great deal!

This will also be my first time using snoseal, What is the general consensus on the best to apply this stuff?

10. mixProtocol

11. joshmick

joshmick Senior member

Perfect, thank you so much!

12. VentureCompound

VentureCompound Member

Great article Very informative like a history lesson. Thanks for the advice

13. -JR-

-JR- Member

Beside the sole, is there any other difference between the 20080 and the 20065 models? The 20065 is significantly cheaper, so I'm wondering.

14. mixProtocol

I think the only difference is the sole -- lugged on the 80 and semi-smooth on the 65.

15. metitmatt

metitmatt New Member

Hey MixProtocal, I just ordered a pair of the 6" Chocolate Chipp's yesterday and I'm inspired to replicate your polish job. I really like the fashionable look of the Wolverine 1000's, Red Wing Iron Ranger etc. and was worried the Chipp's wouldn't be as stylish. After seeing the polish job you did I got excited because they really look clean from the pictures. How have your boots held up since your initial polish, has the color lasted? Would you recommend others try this? Did you hit them with a waterproof eventually?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  16. mixProtocol

@metitmatt ... the color has held up very well. They are definitely more of a satin/matte than a high gloss, (though, with the rubber sole lending a rugged look, I'm not sure I'd want a high shine). The leather has developed some significant creases between the toe box and the last set of lace eyelets, but I guess this is to be expected.

I put Obenauf's LP on the side panels, which temporarily darkened them a bit. As it made the boots harder to shine (due to some residual tackiness), I didn't apply it to the toes. With winter coming, I'll probably cover the entire boot in Obenauf's soon. I sometimes apply a bit of polish (kiwi cordovan paste) to the toe and heel, which definitely gives them a good glow. Were I to do it again, I'd likely choose Meltonian's lighter cordovan color (“Cordovan 78”) instead of “Dark Cordovan Burgundy (164)” – or maybe use the darker cream but on Chippewa's lighter “Rodeo Tan” boots. After seeing the pics in the Heritage Boot Line thread, I'm looking to replace the thin round laces with some flat ones.

1 person likes this.
  17. metitmatt

metitmatt New Member

Nice, thanks for the feedback. I ended up going with your technique but I changed the color up. I actually put a thin coat of Obenauf's on when I got them and wore them for a day. After that I decided to try the polish. I went with Meltonian's Red Mahogany #12. Here's how they look. I've only worn them a couple times but looking forward to cooler weather. I'm stoked! They've got a great color and medium shine and look close to the finishes on other higher end boots.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  18. mixProtocol

Damn, those look awesome with the mahogany! You've got some good contrast between the lighter/darker patches which really gives the boots a patina-like depth. Enjoy!

19. metitmatt

metitmatt New Member

Thanks man! cheers!

20. mixProtocol

While unwaxed, these AllenEdmunds 39" flat laces seem to be the a good length for the GQ, provided you don't want to lace through the top set of eyelets. $1.50ea w/ free shipping. On clearance, act fast.