• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chicago shopping:  need advice

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was thinking of visiting Chicago this weekend (its only a 2-hour drive for me) for the sole purpose of shopping. I am very interested in thrift stores/recycled clothing stores; mainly because I'm a college student and that is a great way for me to get very nice, stylish clothes at a low price. Anyone know of any nice thrift/resale/recycled/consignment shops in the Chicago area? Also, is there a place like Century 21 in Chicago that might carry higher-end fashions at lower prices, perhaps overstock or last season's pieces? Also, if there is a Marshalls or TJ Maxx in the Chicago area, would they carry nicer goods, perhaps overstock from Sak's? Any tips would be appreciated, as well as any information on stores where I could find good clothing at low prices. Thanks in advance.

Eric

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
did you know they opened an H&M store in Woodfield Mall? as for the best in vintage, if you can find a store called...i think it is "Half Moon", downtown chicago. think there is a filene's basement downtown around the mag mile, as well. Be sure to get a shave and or haircut at Truefit and Hill, in 900 Michigan Ave..

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Foxx,

Thanks for the advice. I was in Chicago a few months ago and I saw the H&M store under construction, and I couldn't wait until they opened it. I'll definately have to check it out, it seems like they have great prices for the quality and style that you get. I'll also have to look into that vintage store you spoke of and see what they are all about.

Eric

bryce330

Reaction score
What direction are you coming from? If you are coming south on I-94 (from Wisconsin) there are two Off Fifth stores (Saks outlets) that are literally right off the freeway. One is at Gurnee Mills about 5 minutes south of the WI-IL border, and the other is in the basement of the Saks at Old Orchard (which is about twenty minutes north of Chicago).

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm from Milwaukee, so I'll be heading south on 94. I have been to the one at Gurnee Mills many times before, but never the one at Old Orchard. Is it any nicer than the G. Mills one? For some reason it seems like the GM location never really gets many great things in (some of the prices are still pretty good though). I take it the Old Orchard store is right on the way down to Chicago? And since you mentioned its in the basement, I take it that the regular Saks is located above?

banksmiranda

Reaction score
Hey all,

I was thinking of visiting Chicago this weekend (its only a 2-hour drive for me) for the sole purpose of shopping.  I am very interested in thrift stores/recycled clothing stores; mainly because I'm a college student and that is a great way for me to get very nice, stylish clothes at a low price.  Anyone know of any nice thrift/resale/recycled/consignment shops in the Chicago area?  Also, is there a place like Century 21 in Chicago that might carry higher-end fashions at lower prices, perhaps overstock or last season's pieces?  Also, if there is a Marshalls or TJ Maxx in the Chicago area, would they carry nicer goods, perhaps overstock from Sak's?  Any tips would be appreciated, as well as any information on stores where I could find good clothing at low prices.  Thanks in advance.

Eric
TJ Maxx:
One North State Bldg.
11 North State Street
Chicago, IL 60602-0000 US
(312)-553-0515

Marshalls:
Specialty Retail
600 N Michigan Avenue
Chicago, IL 60606 US
(312) 280-7506

bryce330

Reaction score
I'm from Milwaukee, so I'll be heading south on 94.  I have been to the one at Gurnee Mills many times before, but never the one at Old Orchard.  Is it any nicer than the G. Mills one?  For some reason it seems like the GM location never really gets many great things in (some of the prices are still pretty good though).  I take it the Old Orchard store is right on the way down to Chicago?  And since you mentioned its in the basement, I take it that the regular Saks is located above?
I haven't been to either the Gurnee or Old Orchard (which just opened) stores more than a few times, but in general I have found that the selection at any Off Fifth store is pretty hit-or-miss - sometimes they have great stuff and sometimes they have nothing. There are odd variations from store to store however - I am in the DC area now and the Off Fifth at Potomac Mills always has a good selection of Helmut Lang shirts, while the Off Fifth in Leesburg, VA never has any Helmut Lang.

As banksmiranda stated, Old Orchard is just northwest of Chicago. If you are on I-94, take the Old Orchard Road exit, turn left, and the mall is right there. And yes, the regular Saks is right above the Off Fifth. However, I don't think that particular Saks carries mens clothing.

bryce330

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that there are also two Filene's Basement stores in Chicago - one on Michigan Ave. and one on State Street - those would probably be a better bet than Marshall's or TJ Maxx.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
There's also a (the) Hickey-Freeman outlet in Gary, Indiana, three pretty good Nordstrom Racks (Woodfield Plaza, Northbrook, and Oak Brook), and an Off 5th in Woodfield Plaza as well. I haven't been to the Off 5th in Skokie yet, but the GM one had pretty good stuff in Aug- got a Robert Graham shirt, and they had some nice Ben Sherman stuff as well.

SHAMELESS PLUG

This stuff is all in the book...

bvlin

Reaction score
I'm going down there next weekend also and I was wondering if there are any good casual clothing stores around the downtown area? Stores in the style of the Atrium or Camoflauge in New York would be appreciated.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check some of the malls, Watertower place, North Michigan Shopping Center, and Chicago Place all have decent stores in them, things like Club Monaco, this one men's store...can't think of the name but it is in Watertower Place and carries Zegna, Isda and co, a bunch of casual pieces, as well as various dept. stores. Michigan ave. and the surrounding side streets are definately the hot spot for shopping. In that mile of road, you'll find Lord and Taylor, Sak's, Macy's, Bloomingdale's, Neiman Marcus, Barney's, Giorgio Armani, A|X, Zegna, Burberry, Bvlgari, Paul Smith (or stuart, can't remember which), and many others.

VWpete

Reaction score
All of these are in Steve's book
smile.gif
For streetwear. Diesel on Rush, two blocks off Mich. Apartment No. 9 in Bucktown- Paul Smith and a great selection of hand picked designer goods. Also have to stop by Barney's New York on Oak and Rush. For Dior Homme (only one in Chi), Yohji, Kiton, Zegna, Massimo Bizzochi, Lorenzini and Chrome Hearts you must go to George Greene. It's not cheap, but my favorite after Steve pointed it out to me. On Oak just down the street from Barney's going towards Mich. on the right side. Water Tower bores me (sorry if I offended anyone) I hit up Saks Men's Store and Neiman's every time I'm in the city as they are both very nice in Chicago (on Mich.). Also, Jil Sander has a flagship on Oak Street (love the Puma's this season) Pete

VWpete

Reaction score
BTW- I have yet to find a menswear store like Atrium or Camo in Chicago. There's great streetwear, just need to look a little harder.

Yosarian77

Reaction score
Versaceman, if you are from Milwaukee, check out the killer exhibit at the Milwaukee Art Museum called "The Quilts of Gee's Bend." You will love it. Be prepared to witness the effect these visual masterpieces will have on the world of style and fashion. They are truly stunning, and the new MAM building is unbelievable. I saw the exhibit in Houston and New York, and was there for the opening in Milwaukee, as luck would have it. Go see it. You'll be glad you did.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads