• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chicago Boutique Shopping off the mile?

jmatt

Reaction score
I'm heading to Chicago Thursday through Saturday. I've been shopping on the mile many times.

What I'm looking for are the boutiques OFF the mile that I should seek out.

Any specialty shoe stores? Clothing? Tobacconist/pipe shops?
How about decent furniture?

(and any places to appease my wife?)

I'm looking for places within walking distance of the Hancock Tower.

Also - where is the mall with all the Norstrom Rack, etc? A suburb somewhere, right? Is it worth hitting on my way out of town?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
The best place is Graham Greene which carries the better Italian brands including Kiton.

There is also a nice Loro Piana store...both are on a side street to the main shopping...Oak Street maybe?

kcc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
The best place is Graham Greene which carries the better Italian brands including Kiton. ...

Correction: George Greene

Kiton, Barbera, Belvest, Lorenzini, Lattanzi, & other high end companies

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Correction: George Greene
Thank you. I musta had a literary moment there.
smile.gif

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a Nordstrom's Rack on State St. just inside The Loop. It'd be about a 10-15 minute walk from the Hancock.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
the handcock is right in the middle of it all.bring your walking shoes. if you are returning going north then the mall your looking for is gurnee mills.just off of rte 94 in the town of gurnee.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

nomovement

Reaction score
don't waste your time going to any malls! there's a nordstrom rack on state st. yep; take a cab b/c it's going to be hot- and dont. DON'T get your hopes up. Oak street will be a great shopping destination for you and your wife-look for the ligne roset store for some great italian furniture; but oak street doesn't really count as off nmichigan dr shopping since the shopping section of aok street literally intersects with nmich. go outside of the hancock, take a right, then a left. I would reccomend going further west into the river west area. theres a cool furniture/home access. shop called orangeskin on erie st-look up directions from their website. for really good shopping (keep in mind that I don't know what you're looking for) you should wave a cab, and have him take you to milwaukee and damen in wicker park. its the main shopping street of the district. go south in milwuakee (just look towards the sears tower) and you'll find a shop called hejifina-excellent high(ish) end mens and womenswear. then, make sure to check out a shop called apartment that;s on damen. anyway, once you're in wicker park, ask for reccomendations from the staff at the shops you end up in-this is the midwest, everybody's helpful.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by saint
There's a Nordstrom's Rack on State St. just inside The Loop. It'd be about a 10-15 minute walk from the Hancock.

One Filene's Basement is across the street from the Rack, another is across from the Water Tower mall.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Filene's does have Oxxford for about 1k. Alot of the Manhattan II
And a ton of cole haan leather/suede coats.....more than any store should carry.

too bad I don't like Oxxford nor Cole Haan much.

gefinzi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stu
They named a store after perhaps the greatest English language writer of the past century?

That would be Evelyn Waugh, definitely not Graham Greene!

Broadway

Reaction score
Long-time lurker, first-time poster.

Morris and Sons is an absolute must, for both you and your wife. Excellent brands, good selection, good pricing, and the potential for a grand bargain every so often. My wife recently scored a top Italian designer cashmere suit at a stunning bargain price. Nice salespeople too.

Nordstrom Rack and the State Street Filene's are hit-or-miss. At Filene's I recently picked up a pair of Canali dress pants for $30 and a nice Mitchells sport shirt for $11, so it can be done!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads