1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Finding affordable menswear? (chicago)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by tdellaringa, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

I think you might have to increase the budget. Really got an urge for dub monks?

2. tdellaringa

tdellaringa Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't have a good casual shoe.

3. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

4. tdellaringa

Hm, never heard of this company before. Nice they are Goodyear Welted. For whatever reason they don't appeal to me though. Appreciate the suggestion!

5. Caustic Man

That's because it's a small company started by a member here on SF.

6. Caustic Man

1 person likes this.
  7. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

8. tdellaringa

I DO like these.

https://www.meermin.es/articulo.php?idArt=4673

But that's 25 over what I have, plus 35 for shipping and not sure what for taxes. If I have to return it, it's on my dime and I am not sure about fit for these shoes. I'm really wary of ordering something overseas with such limited funds. I could save more and try it out, I suppose. I'll have to think about it.

There is this Johnston & Murphy shoe

http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/conar...wvar_9489_width=M#q=double+monk+strap&start=1

J&M is local and I can actually go to one of the stores and try it on.

9. Caustic Man

Johnston & Murphy is not good. Especially when you compare it with Andrew Lock and Meermin. Honestly, those shoes look like garbage. I can understand if those other brands don't appeal to you for various reasons, but they are far superior to that J & M shoe.

10. tdellaringa

Oh the Meermin DOES appeal to me. I'm concerned about fit and cost.

I've heard good things about J&M aside from whether the shoe looks good or not. Are you saying the construction is not good either?

11. Caustic Man

Look closely at it. The coloring is blotchy and uneven, the leather looks sub-par (remember; not all calf is created equal), and that rubber sole is noxious. J & M utilizes something called "Bondwelt" construction and I've never heard a good answer as to what, exactly, that is. I would guess that it involves some kind of gluing though. With the other options available this shoe is overpriced.

12. tdellaringa

Ok, I see it - makes sense. Sounds like it's either the Meermin, or scour eBay for a deal.

13. tdellaringa

14. Caustic Man

You are struggling to find canvas shoes? Really? Dude, just go to the Woodfield Mall and walk around for 5 minutes. They even have a Vans store.

15. tdellaringa

LOL - yeah, maybe "struggle" is too strong a word! :D I more meant I am not sure which one to pick - not availability. The Vans store in Woodfield is pretty pricey though. I can do better on Zappos for example, and the ones I wanted are not available in my size. The markup at the Woodfield store is a good 20% or more.