• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chelsea boots – a little embarrassing?!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Even if it is, which I doubt, the boots it's on are not.

Are you suggesting that Chelesas are feminine? I don't really care if shoes are masculine or feminine either way, but I'm surprised by how many people hold this view about Chelseas when they wear things like purple suede balmoral boots, which I feel are much more feminine than Chelseas

700.jpeg

nh10222

Reaction score
Are you suggesting that Chelesas are feminine?
I never said that. I don't perceive them as masculine, though.

I'm surprised by how many people hold this view about Chelseas when they wear things like purple suede balmoral boots, which I feel are much more feminine than Chelseas

View attachment 1770480
I'm flattered by your desire to get to know me so well, that you'd dig up posts from over 5 years ago. Wow. Or was it just another one of your pathetic attempts to embarrass?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Oh, yes, in that case, I agree. I don't think of them as being feminine or masculine.

Did not post that photo to embarrass, but was just saying that I think some shoes are more feminine than Chelseas. I personally have no problem with men wearing feminine things and even have some things in my wardrobe inspired by womenswear.

Leiker

Reaction score
Are you suggesting that Chelesas are feminine? I don't really care if shoes are masculine or feminine either way, but I'm surprised by how many people hold this view about Chelseas when they wear things like purple suede balmoral boots, which I feel are much more feminine than Chelseas

View attachment 1770480
Those are hilarious :p

nh10222

Reaction score
Oh, yes, in that case, I agree. I don't think of them as being feminine or masculine.

Did not post that photo to embarrass, but was just saying that I think some shoes are more feminine than Chelseas. I personally have no problem with men wearing feminine things and even have some things in my wardrobe inspired by womenswear.
That model of Balmoral boot is very chunky, not something to pair with morning dress or a stroller. I never saw them as feminine, even with the purple suede, which is mostly invisible anyway. But once again I'm flattered. Pretty soon you'll know me better than me.

Monsieur de Givenchy

Reaction score

I'm flattered by your desire to get to know me so well, that you'd dig up posts from over 5 years ago. Wow. Or was it just another one of your pathetic attempts to embarrass?
You should leave dieworkwear in peace. He is usually a great force for good and gentlemanly behavior on this forum and is just going through an angry phase, which is understandable given how much aggression so many people here throw at him and everyone every day.

It would be a great loss if he were to leave Styleforum, and it's almost been sounding a little like that. I've been thinking about posting a non-shoe thing just to make him happy! (and I thought the think about the penis graffito was funny!)

Actually, here is the post (since this hasn't been about Chelseas for a while anyway, we might as well shift to something completely different):

@dieworkwear – can I ask you which tailor would you advise I should look up in order to make my clothing match the level of elegance of my shoes? Who could talk me through everything in a non-arrogant way? Would it be that guy Andy from The Armoury? (he did seem a little arrogant, just at very first glance). Would it be the successors to Alan Flusser (but who could replace him? Seems like the whole place was built around his genius). Would it be Paolo Martorano – everything I've seen from him looks so stylish and beautiful. Or someone on Savile Row? If yes, who? Or would I best go to Europe and have things made at Kiton or at a small local tailor in Madrid who can spend a maximum amount of time on helping me find the right style. Do you think it would be best to have one person make all my suits, to have a consistent look in public? Or is it better to mix it up and try out many different tailors? I want to expand my horizon, as you can see!

nh10222

Reaction score
You should leave dieworkwear in peace. He is usually a great force for good and gentlemanly behavior on this forum and is just going through an angry phase, which is understandable given how much aggression so many people here throw at him and everyone every day.

It would be a great loss if he were to leave Styleforum, and it's almost been sounding a little like that. I've been thinking about posting a non-shoe thing just to make him happy! (and I thought the think about the penis graffito was funny!)

I really do appreciate that sentiment.
I agree with much of what he posts and find it informative and useful, but his expertise is frequently mixed with a thinly veiled dose of arrogance and condescension. Being an "expert" doesn't make subtle, bitchy, a-holery ok.

DougDevious

Reaction score

View attachment 1770480
joker boots

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@dieworkwear – can I ask you which tailor would you advise I should look up in order to make my clothing match the level of elegance of my shoes? Who could talk me through everything in a non-arrogant way? Would it be that guy Andy from The Armoury? (he did seem a little arrogant, just at very first glance). Would it be the successors to Alan Flusser (but who could replace him? Seems like the whole place was built around his genius). Would it be Paolo Martorano – everything I've seen from him looks so stylish and beautiful. Or someone on Savile Row? If yes, who? Or would I best go to Europe and have things made at Kiton or at a small local tailor in Madrid who can spend a maximum amount of time on helping me find the right style. Do you think it would be best to have one person make all my suits, to have a consistent look in public? Or is it better to mix it up and try out many different tailors? I want to expand my horizon, as you can see!

I think the tailor or brand you choose is more about the kind of silhouette you want to wear, and the silhouette you should wear is about your body type, personality, preference, etc. Hard to give a recommendation on where you should go to buy a suit because everyone is different in this regard.

Some people here stick with one tailor, others sample around. I'm much more of a sampler, but others have had great success just sticking with one tailor. I don't think there's anything wrong with either approach.

Monsieur de Givenchy

Reaction score
I think the tailor or brand you choose is more about the kind of silhouette you want to wear, and the silhouette you should wear is about your body type, personality, preference, etc. Hard to give a recommendation on where you should go to buy a suit because everyone is different in this regard.

Some people here stick with one tailor, others sample around. I'm much more of a sampler, but others have had great success just sticking with one tailor. I don't think there's anything wrong with either approach.
Thank you for this explanation, John D. Do you feel any capable tailor can adapt to any kind of silhouette I might want? For instance: can anybody make your shoulders straight and broad? Would't I need someone to warn me in case that desire would lead to a style aberration? I like a tapered waist, for instance – but I'm also not the slimmest tree in the forest. I feel if I ask a tailor to give me a tapered waistline, he will do it and then it might look ridiculous if I'm not lean enough. I feel that so much of suits looking good depends only on how lean you are. I had an uncle who bought off the rack stuff and was super-lean – he always looked so elegant that people asked him where he had his clothes made. Another uncle had everything made bespoke by the finest English tailors – and because he was a little fat still just didn't look elegant. It's almost like you can't buy an elegant look, no matter what you spend. Or can you show the way toward elegance? How would I even search for the right silhouette?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thank you for this explanation, John D. Do you feel any capable tailor can adapt to any kind of silhouette I might want? For instance: can anybody make your shoulders straight and broad? Would't I need someone to warn me in case that desire would lead to a style aberration? I like a tapered waist, for instance – but I'm also not the slimmest tree in the forest. I feel if I ask a tailor to give me a tapered waistline, he will do it and then it might look ridiculous if I'm not lean enough. I feel that so much of suits looking good depends only on how lean you are. I had an uncle who bought off the rack stuff and was super-lean – he always looked so elegant that people asked him where he had his clothes made. Another uncle had everything made bespoke by the finest English tailors – and because he was a little fat still just didn't look elegant. It's almost like you can't buy an elegant look, no matter what you spend. Or can you show the way toward elegance? How would I even search for the right silhouette?

I feel that you're overthinking this. I would just

1. Figure out how you want to dress and where are you wearing these clothes. Make the clothes suitable for your lifestyle and needs.

2. If you need to wear suits, then buy some suits. If suits are too formal for your environment and you want to dress in a classic way, get sport coats. Then find a tailor or a ready-to-wear brand that fits you and has a silhouette that you think looks good on you.

3. Find shoes that fit the outfits you are creating.

4. Create a small diet of online media that helps you train your eye for what looks good. I would focus on media that shows full outfits, so you can actually see how an outfit comes together.

5. Over time, you can just adjust things as necessary when you learn new things. You might find that some silhouettes are better for you than others. Or you might find more tasteful ways to wear certain things.

Personally think that elegance is somewhat independent of clothes. Have met elegant people who wear t-shirts and jeans. But if you want to dress "elegantly," I think less is more, and it's better to stick to quiet, simple things rather than loud, unusual things.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trumbus