• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheaney

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I sadly learned yesterday that the olive Brackley was sold out in all stores. The other stores had it incorrectly listed as available. I missed the boat on that one. I was really looking forward to seeing how the comfort compares to C&J. I actually find C&J benchgrade a little too firm for my tastes, and I was curious to see how Cheaney's feel.

Elderidge

Reaction score
Sorry, am I getting you right, you say like 205 is wider and with higher instep, compare to the Capital?
Could you also compare the inner length and the finger space volume please?

No, quite the opposite. I meant the Capital is wider and has higher instep.

I dont think inner length can be properly measured on the 205, as it's designed to have lots of free space beyond the toes. so if you have a slim foot and can slide further forward into the 'free space' area, you'll end up feeling like it's much longer than regular size.

I think in summary, if the Capital fits you fine, the 205 will be a touch more snug. If the Capital fits you tight, the 205 will be even tighter. i lace the Capital all the way (the only way i can wear it) while the 205 has a bit of breathing room.

Stani777

Reaction score
I think in summary, if the Capital fits you fine, the 205 will be a touch more snug. If the Capital fits you tight, the 205 will be even tighter. i lace the Capital all the way (the only way i can wear it) while the 205 has a bit of breathing room.
I've met the opinion that 205 last has a quite steep instep. Interesting that you note quite the opposite.

I'm between the sizes in capital, thats the problem. If the left foot feels nice in 9, the right one is wearable in 9 with some toes restrictions and discomfort after a long wear, but 9.5 feels better.
Thanks for your reply, I'll pick a bit more info, since I'm not able to try this shoes on.

P.S. Is it true that at Cheaney they make lasts for the right foot are a little bit bigger then for the left?

Last edited:

Quantom

Reaction score
Stani777,

From my experience with a couple of Cheaney shoes, they definitely do not make shoes on lasts that are bigger on one foot than the other.

Everyone has differing feet shapes and sizes and it would probably be unwise for a manufacturer to use lasts that have the right larger than the left (or vice versa). That said, my right foot is larger than my left just like yours, and so do let me know if you've found a manufacturer that does differing sizes!

Elderidge

Reaction score
I've met the opinion that 205 last has a quite steep instep. Interesting that you note quite the opposite.

I'm between the sizes in capital, thats the problem. If the left foot feels nice in 9, the right one is wearable in 9 with some toes restrictions and discomfort after a long wear, but 9.5 feels better.
Thanks for your reply, I'll pick a bit more info, since I'm not able to try this shoes on.

P.S. Is it true that at Cheaney they make lasts for the right foot are a little bit bigger then for the left?

Could be the model as well. My oxfords fit tighter than my double monks. I have a lower than average instep and ended up with 4 pairs on the 205 last cause they fit well. That being said, i returned a pair of derby cause i was not able to tighten them enough.

Probably not the most helpful information here, but the Capital last fits me quite loose but not enough to go down half a size. If you're after something wider, AS lasts tend to be a bit more generous (sans the 99, which runs a bit small)

ShooIn

Reaction score
Cheaney Balmoral on the 208 last.
IMG_9712.jpg

Nat Jag

Reaction score
I'm looking at some chelsea boots on the 205 last (made by cheaney for Bodileys). Does anyone know how this last fits compares to the 11525 last or the 125 last. I have a pair of shoe in 11525 which fit me 7.5UK ok (slightly narrow) and tried the 125 last with chukkas which seem to fit 7UK. In C&J I'm 7.5UK, although every so slightly large a 7 would be too small.

Meyboom

Reaction score
I'm looking at some chelsea boots on the 205 last (made by cheaney for Bodileys). Does anyone know how this last fits compares to the 11525 last or the 125 last. I have a pair of shoe in 11525 which fit me 7.5UK ok (slightly narrow) and tried the 125 last with chukkas which seem to fit 7UK. In C&J I'm 7.5UK, although every so slightly large a 7 would be too small.

If the 125 last is a good fit in 7uk I would go 7uk in the 205 last as well. I wear both lasts in the same size and feel 205 is slightly roomier than 125, except for the toe box which is narrower in 205 because of the taper. I have no experience with the 11525 last though.

Nat Jag

Reaction score
If the 125 last is a good fit in 7uk I would go 7uk in the 205 last as well. I wear both lasts in the same size and feel 205 is slightly roomier than 125, except for the toe box which is narrower in 205 because of the taper. I have no experience with the 11525 last though.

I decided to go to a store and check the fit. the 205 was perfect in a 7 for me. I'll order the chelsea boots I saw made on the last and see how I get on.

papercut

Reaction score
Hey guys, if I wear a G width for 11028 last, what other Cheaney F width last for can I fit?

To be specific, would require a last that has a similar or bigger toe box width for 11028 last.

Cheers!

scottythebody

Reaction score
Just took the plunge into my first Joseph Cheaney and Sons shoes. I purchased them last week at the London Spitalfields location.
IMG_4413.JPG
These are some deer skin kicks and the shoes that brought me into the store because I glanced them through the window. I intended to stop by the Cheaney shop on Jerymn street later in the week, but thought I should check into these right at that very moment because I've been looking for a new show to wear in casual situations with jeans. I wore these around a couple markets and they'll do very nicely.
IMG_4414.JPG
This is the first pair of loafers I have owned since I was 18 years old and bought a pair of black penny loafers that I then proceeded to wear down to nothing. I loved them, but, since then, a loafer just hasn't really been part of my lifestyle. So here they are, a pair of suede loafers, the Dover model, I believe. I have not worn these out and about yet.
IMG_4415.JPG

And finally I (and, of course, the helpful shop people) thought I should invest in a classic British-looking shoe because I have none in the collection (heavy on Spain and Austria right now). So the sales person found me this great pair of semi-brogue oxfords. Since I pan to wear these as my commuting shoes with my suit to and from the office, I opted to get them with the Diamond rubber sole. They are the Wilford model, I believe. I wore these around for a half day and they fit great. They are Goodyear welted and built on the 125 last, which seems to suit my rather wide feet very well (I didn't even have to go to "G" width).

As far as the quality goes, these are all within the midrange of Cheaney shoes. The loafers and the oxfords are Goodyear welted, but not the same quality as the Imperial line. That being said, I feel that in the world of reputable and high quality shoemakers, if you are in the range of MTO or off-the-rack Goodyear welted shoes using better leathers and finishing techniques, they are all basically the same level. At least, to me, the basics are not that discernible and you pay more when the details are worth is, such as: hand welting, customizations, higher quality leather and finish. Then, of course, there is the bespoke level, which is then a whole different price point and discussion :)

The quality of these shoes slots in nicely with my Ludwig Reiters, Cobbler Union, Carmina, and others.

Last edited:

Nat Jag

Reaction score
You certainly have entered the world of cheaney with not one but three pairs. I like those semi-brogues.

I personally find cheaney shoes fit me better than C&J. But C&J currently have more options on rubber soles. That seems to be changing I notice. One thing I can see in quality is how better C&J managed to put the dianite sole on without such a big lip. Not sure of technical terms. Cheaney seem much better with their diamond rubber sole.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads