• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Charles Tyrwhitt Reviews and Fitting

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just picked up four shirts (2 black label and 2 regular shirts) for 87 GBP (around $135) including shipping. They've got some solid "sale" deals on the UK website and are doing 10 GBP off an order of 4 shirts. Decent time to stock up if you like the shirts.

theh00d

Reaction score
^ Seem like the sale is ending soon, debating on whether or not I should pull the trigger and get 4 dress shirts
These will be my first sets of dress shirts so I'm not sure if this is the best value I can get in terms of price/quality
was looking into others like brook brothers and tm lewin but I'm a skinny guy, so not sure if their fits would be good for me

I'm 5'8 135lb
XS in uniqlo slim fit oxford
which size should I be in the esf?

Last edited:

CarolinaMan

Reaction score
They seem to have almost as many sales as Joseph A Banks. Tough call thehood on what size you need. I would bet 15 or 15.5 with a 33 sleeve, but who knows.

My only advice is that CT shirts shrink slightly in the neck (at least that has been my experience with them). If you wear a tight and it is tight in the neck before you wash the shirt, it will probably be too small after washing.

Other than the slight problem of shrinking, their shirts are a very good value.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^

Measure your neck. That's the only way to find out. Guessing your size is likely to leave you stuck with shirts that do not fit. I also agree with the comment that the Tyrwhitt shirts shrink at the neck more than others.

LEgoiste

Reaction score
I ordered a CT ESF Black Label shirt last month, and after only one washing and medium dry it shrunk to one size down (both neck and sleeves). So, I'll definitely buy CT shirts one size up from now on.

Last edited:

Kroaker

Reaction score
Anyone tried their flannel trousers? Those things are so hard to find, and CT appears to have a nice charcoal flannel option.

theh00d

Reaction score
Went to Brook Brothers today and tried on their ESF
14.5/32 fits perfectly

Should I stay the same for Charles Tyrwhitt or go up a size since others have mention the shrinkage
Edit: Is anyone having problem with the site? When I add the shirt to my basket the price changes to the original price..the sale should be on for 4 more hrs

Last edited:

LEgoiste

Reaction score
The main thing I don't like about CT shirts is its wide collars are extra wide, compared to wide collars from TM Lewin and BR.

Hellkamp

Reaction score
I don't understand all the people that dry their dress shirts... They won't shrink if you hang dry them. It's better not to machine dry anything you care about.

theh00d

Reaction score
^ I always wash cold and air dry so...

the price problem is fixed now
but is the 10 pounds off on the uk site not working anymore? It says expired when I tried to use it

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't understand all the people that dry their dress shirts... They won't shrink if you hang dry them. It's better not to machine dry anything you care about.

+1. Was on cold, delicate cycle, minimum amount of detergent. Hang dry. No shrinkage whatsoever on my CT shirts.

CarolinaMan

Reaction score
I travel extensively and send my shirts to the cleaners. Plus, I do not like non-iron shirts. So professional laundering is my best option. I have found all shirts shrink a little, but some brands more than others.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not amazing but definitely possible to do worse for $40. I don't like the standard size; it's a bit skinny and long for me. Looks to be around 58.5 by 3.35 inches or so. I generally get one when they throw in a free tie on top of a 4 for $200 shirt special and find someone to give away the tie to. I'd probably wear them if I didn't have my Hobers and I was okay with the standard size. Of those two, I prefer the second one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads