• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Charles Tyrwhitt Reviews and Fitting

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The sizing guide at the bottom of the CT website gives waist, chest and length measures for the various fits.
As others have said, be careful with the chest measurement. For whatever reason, they are not giving garment measurements, but measurements "to fit chest of size x."

kasakka

Reaction score
I have previously tried their slim fit shirts and despite being the right size (shoulders, neck and sleeve length) the sleeve and waist width were pretty wide. These were bought years ago so I don't know if their current slim fit shirts are better but I got some extra slim fit ones and they fit me far better though I still wouldn't call them super slim. They are tighter in the chest (but not too much at least for my current build) and narrower in the sleeves as well. I'd probably suggest anyone who is reasonably athletic to go for extra slim.

johnbond8459

Reaction score
What's everyone's time on exchanges? I sent my shirts back 2 weeks ago and called them early this week. They said it can take 3 weeks which I find terribly long.

They have charged me for 5 shirts and I only have 2. I'm disappointed in their turn around time.

Shoeliker

Reaction score
Johnbond: What was your original delivery time from placement of order to arrival? It would make sense to me to just double that. I live in a small, rural town in Colorado, so delivery here is usually longer, but it seems to me that my last order to CT took 10 days, but that's from memory and was months ago, so I might be remembering wrong. I do recall, because it impressed me, that delivery happened precisely on whatever day their original statement to me said it would.

LEgoiste

Reaction score
I just ordered my first Black Label ESF CT shirt for $74 shipped (extra 10% off + 10% off coupon code TYR66H).

Now, does anyone have any new $29/shirt link?

lexxdeleon

Reaction score
Looks like they have a handful of suits for $299 that seems like a pretty good deal. Anyone have experience with the quality of CT suits? I just bought a few of their shirts during the $29 a shirt sale a few weeks back and am very happy considering the price I paid. Do their suits hit this price point often?

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$299 is about as cheap as their suits ever get, but they hit that point fairly often. I have a black twill suit that I bought as a requirement for a wedding party and in my estimation, they aren't bad suits for $300. If I had some time and a little bit more discretion in choices, though, I would spend a little bit more to upgrade to their "Luxury Suit" line, which are half-canvassed and feature nicer fabrics.

lexxdeleon

Reaction score

$299 is about as cheap as their suits ever get, but they hit that point fairly often.  I have a black twill suit that I bought as a requirement for a wedding party and in my estimation, they aren't bad suits for $300.  If I had some time and a little bit more discretion in choices, though, I would spend a little bit more to upgrade to their "Luxury Suit" line, which are half-canvassed and feature nicer fabrics. 

Thanks, I have a wedding to attend in October and will look to purchase my first decent suit closer to that time if CT has sales on them somewhat regularly.

Any idea on how the CT lower end suit compares with suit supply or brooks brothers in same price range when on sale?

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a CT coupon code or discount they aren't using? If so, please feel free to PM it to me! :embar: Otherwise, I expect they'll have a Fourth of July discount soon (it was 10% off everything last year).

SBear

Reaction score
All my shirts are Banana Republic (BR) non-iron "tailored" slim fit (and a few slim fit). Any direct comparisons with the CT extra slim fit in torso fit (I'm medium in BR and 16/33)? Looking at the $140 (now $49) CT extra slim fits, bengal/gingham/herringbone styles white and blue - how does the weight of the fabric compare with my BR shirts?

Last edited:

Jazz3Pickz

Reaction score
probably a stupid question, but what does this mean?

The chest measurements correspond to your actual chest circumference, instead of the measurement of the garment. For example, a 40" chest jacket does not have a 40" chest measurement (rather something like 43"-44" depending on how slim-fitting it is), because then you obviously wouldn't be able to fit in it. For garment-based measurements you would look at the number and calculate if that's within your range, with the added 3-4". CT's measurements say 40" for a 40" jacket, but the actual measurement is something like 44". Thus you could be led to believe it won't fit you (giving the example of a 40" chest), as you might think the garment measures 40" across the chest, while in fact, the number measured is what your maximum chest size should be in order to wear that particular size. I'm pretty tired, so I'm sorry if it's a somewhat fuzzy explanation, hopefully you get the idea though.

Last edited:

topos

Reaction score
probably a stupid question, but what does this mean?

It means the measurement they provide is not a measurement of the shirt, but rather what chest size they feel the shirt should fit. Of course, different "fits" mean different measurements for the same chest size. In other words: the CT chest measurement size is useless. I have a slim fit CT shirt with a 15.5 collar that measures 45 in the chest. I bought this before they changed the chest measurements to a "to fit" on their site, and I don't know whether this means the various cuts received updates or not (for instance I measured that same shirt's waist to be larger than they claim their slim fit is on the website by a little more than an inch).

Midnight

Reaction score

Flyswatter - you're right. Charles Tyrwhitt have not changed the sizes of their shirts, just the way they present the measurements (I had this confirmed by a Charles Tyrwhitt sales rep on email). Instead of giving the actual shirt measurements they now give a "to fit chest" measurement.

You can find the old chest measurements at the link below towards the bottom of the page. The table shows that for the chest measurements the Classic Fit is larger than the Slim Fit which is larger than Extra Slim Fit.

http://www.shirtdetective.com/charles-tyrwhitt-shirts/

[Full disclaimer: this is my site and I have affiliate links on it. However, I think it's justified to post a link as it directly addresses the questions above and it's probably the only place on the web you can get this information. If people think this is wrong I'll happily remove the link.]

This earlier post in this forum may be helpful if you're trying to judge the sizes of Charles Tyrwhitt shirts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads