• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Charcoal Black Fleece Suit

Marbles29

Reaction score
I have been ogling this darted charcoal suit: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize= The price has been reduced to 1,200 which is still kind of pushing my budget. I called the Black Fleece store on Bleecker Street and apparently that is the cheapest it will be. Ugh. I'm 25 and I wanted this to be my first serious suit: for interviews, special occasions and so on. The suit felt magnificently - so seldom do I try on fully-canvassed suit.. they offer free alterations too boot. But like I said the price is too steep and I will have to look elsewhere. I thought I had caught wind on this forum that Black Fleece suits were reduced to 600 around this time of the year? A lot of good things pop up on the B&S forum, but I have my misgivings about buying a suit without trying it on. Not to mention, I don't know my measurements.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get measured, and don't waste $1200 on Black Fleece, which has taken a significant drop in quality this season. Just a thought.

elgreco

Reaction score
You're going to catch some flack from the tradlies about wanting to wear the BF suit for interviews. Lapels too slim, jacket too short, etc. Check to see if you can find a Polo-RL suit in solid navy or charcoal first. Or you could always go MTM from Steven Aver for half the price of the BF suit.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien
Get measured, and don't waste $1200 on Black Fleece, which has taken a significant drop in quality this season. Just a thought.

+1

I was able to try on a couple BF suits recently including the very one you speak of. Luckily the store had some models from 2008 to compare with. The quality difference between the former models made in Italy and the current model made in the US by Southwick is immediately noticeable, and for $1200 you can do much better.

Also, the SA is lying. They WILL go down in price, eventually.

fwiw, I think the suit would be just fine for an interview, especially if you're not over the age of 35

newinny

Reaction score
How tall are you? If you are 5' 8" or below the suit wouldn't look too extreme.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by newinny
How tall are you? If you are 5' 8" or below the suit wouldn't look too extreme.

That's a good point. I'm 5'8" so I think it looks fine, but you're right, if you're over 6 feet this becomes a questionable call.

Marbles29

Reaction score
Thank you guys for the input...Yeah one should take what the salesman says with a grain of salt...I don't really care if it's a watered down version of the original as long as the suit is more accessible. Oxxford is the standard, but I can't afford to shell out 3 grand. Do you guys believe the shorter suit trend will become the mainstay? I'm 6'1"

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Marbles29
Thank you guys for the input...Yeah one should take what the salesman says with a grain of salt...I don't really care if it's a watered down version of the original as long as the suit is more accessible. Oxxford is the standard, but I can't afford to shell out 3 grand. Do you guys believe the shorter suit trend will become the mainstay? I'm 6'1"

Mainstay? No. That's Thom Browne. He is over 6' and wears his suits short as hell, but that's his style.

Marbles29

Reaction score
Yeah, but the conventional suit has become shorter with the years. And anything that BB endorses must be believed to endure.

trader

Reaction score
if you're going to only have one serious suit don't let it be this one. i have one (made in italy) and i only wear it for fun. i wouldn't wear it to an interview or work related

i dont think the suit would look on a 6 footer and i dont think the style is here to stay either

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The BF suits have been cheaper (they were 30% off in September) and will likely get cheaper. Personally, I think they are fine for all business occasions if you have the physique for the style of the suit.

SirSuturesALot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
+1

I was able to try on a couple BF suits recently including the very one you speak of. Luckily the store had some models from 2008 to compare with. The quality difference between the former models made in Italy and the current model made in the US by Southwick is immediately noticeable, and for $1200 you can do much better.

Also, the SA is lying. They WILL go down in price, eventually.

fwiw, I think the suit would be just fine for an interview, especially if you're not over the age of 35

Wow, BF is now made by Southwick?
eh.gif

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Marbles29
If you really want an Oxxford, they do come down to about $800-1200 at places like Filene's or on here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads