• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Changing Tassel Loafer into String Tie Lace Loafer Mod/DIY -- Any advice or information?

rdstour

Reaction score
Hi All,

Figured I start this thread as a good resource for people who have/ are considering a cheaper way to buy some coveted string loafers (as currently, all I really see are a handful from Meermin and Santoni).

I was wondering if anyone has tried replacing the strapping/tassels on their loafer, and created a tie loafer instead?

The model I'm using (J&M Aristocraft Deerfield) has very thin strapping, so I'm unsure if l similar dimension strapping would hold up well in a tie.

Also does anyone know if most tassel loafers lace/straps are one single piece threaded around the shoe (a la Boat Shoes) or are they multiple pieces?

At this point I'm seriously considering buying some contrast Horween leather, stripping it down to the right thickness/thinness, and trying to re-thread/re-strap my loafers into a tie.

Has anyone done this before? Any pics of such a conversion? Any luck with cobblers--is this stuff hard to do?

Thanks and appreciate the input.

If there's a better place to post this, let me know...i haven't been on Classic Menswear too often..

Thanks.

SoGent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
good idea but cannot be done correctly or in a way it would even look remotely decent

VanRitz

Reaction score
Stumbled across this thread because I had the same idea.

good idea but cannot be done correctly or in a way it would even look remotely decent

Not sure what SoGent's logic is here but I'd love to hear an explanation for his reasons.

Check out these two Carmina examples below. They obviously vary in materials and stitching style on the toe, but otherwise their design is pretty much identical, save for the tassels vs. string lacing.

I don't see why you couldn't replace the lacing from a tassel loafer with a matching longer lacing that could be knotted.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Greatest problem will be getting hold of leather in the correct colour to cut the strings from: about 3 mm wide and maybe 60-70 cm long. The new ones will have to be longer than the old ones to make a nice bow.

Assuming you got that, you will have to devise a method to pull the string through. You could, for example, stitch the new laces to the old ones. As you pull out the old laces, they will pull the new ones through. Do not pull out the old strings "just like that": you won't be able to to put the new strings into place.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads