Champions League Last 16.

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by benecios, Feb 22, 2007.

1. benecios

benecios Senior member

I think Wednesday's match will be interesting. We've also got a couple of key injuries - Aquiliani recovering from ACL surgery & Max Tonetto for the short term. Coupled with our notoriously shallow bench and Pizarro's suspension, this will undoubtedly result in some folks be shifted around and playing out of position. I see Sir Alex has decided to tweak il Capitano's nose by leaving him off the 'most dangerous/men to be watched' list....

I'm genuinely excited for this first time match-up. The Olimpico is the antithesis of the intimate English ground - built for the '60(?) Olympics, it's got a huge track and folks in ends are far away from the action. Despite its shortcomings, the Curva Sud can generate some fantastic atmosphere. I would expect this to be the case on Weds., given that it will be our biggest European night since the European Cup final against Liverpool back in the early '80's....

Forza Roma!

Ferguson has come out today saying Totti is after all the main dangerman and if we can stop 'the architect' we can stop Roma.
    Another piece of news today,in an unprecedented move Utd have written to the 4,500 travelling fans warning them of potential violence from the Ultra's.

2. romafan

romafan Senior member

I saw that. We had some trouble w/ Middlesbrough last year in the UEFA. Depending on who is to be believed (and the truth is probably somewhere in the middle), either vicious Roma ultras attacked a bunch of innocent Teeside families who were just having a quiet pint and minding their own business, or some boozed-up northeners began acting like imbeciles and provoking the locals. The Italians aren't big drinkers and frown upon public intoxication. That being said, there is an element in the Curva who have caused us big problems in the past...[​IMG]

3. romafan

romafan Senior member

Fortyfive minutes to kickoff. Where are the Scousers? Given that Liverpool has already faced PSV in the group round is there a diminished interest in this draw?

4. benecios

benecios Senior member

Fortyfive minutes to kickoff. Where are the Scousers? Given that Liverpool has already faced PSV in the group round is there a diminished interest in this draw?

I don't think the scousers will have it as easy as they did in the group stages.Koeman also has a hoodoo over English sides,knocking 3 out in the last 2 years.

5. romafan

romafan Senior member

0 - 1 Liverpool - Cap'n Stevie G!

Hideous yellow away strip....

6. benecios

benecios Senior member

Currently watching the Milan-Bayern game.I hope Utd can get Hargreaves in the summer he is awesome.........1-0 Pirlo.

7. benecios

benecios Senior member

I don't think the scousers will have it as easy as they did in the group stages.Koeman also has a hoodoo over English sides,knocking 3 out in the last 2 years.

Wrong again!Looks like the scousers have one foot in the semis.

8. romafan

romafan Senior member

Wrong again!Looks like the scousers have one foot in the semis.

Sounds like Riise had a nice goal. Mereysiders are in the driver's seat....[​IMG]

Now Crouch!

9. benecios

benecios Senior member

Van Buyten gets a goal of out nothing.Milan could have thrown a game away that at one stage looked like it could be 2 or 3-0.

10. romafan

romafan Senior member

Bayern equalizes....[​IMG]

11. romafan

romafan Senior member

Milan in vantagio. Rigore - Kaka....[​IMG]

12. benecios

benecios Senior member

Milan in vantagio. Rigore - Kaka....[​IMG]

What have I missed,I went for a dump and now its 2-1.[​IMG]

13. benecios

benecios Senior member

What have I missed,I went for a dump and now its 2-1.[​IMG]

Reading on the BBC website Milan have had a penalty awarded for no reason.Lets hope we get a stronger ref tomorrow.

14. romafan

romafan Senior member

Lucio brought down Kaka in the area, who promptly converted the penalty....

15. benecios

benecios Senior member

UNBELIEVABLE!Van Buyten again with only his third ever Champions League goal....and guess what???..Gattuso is complaining.Now there is a surprise.[​IMG]