• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Certificates of Deposit (CDs)

ArteEtLabore14

Reaction score
What banks are currently offering the best rates (****** as they may be) and are they worth it as a relatively short-term investment with minimal risk?

XeF4

Reaction score
They are the safest investment (FDIC insured) but you didn't even ask about the term you are looking for so I cannot answer your question.

Benzito

Reaction score
Join the masses and put your money in a good bond fund. At least, until the economy starts cooking again and there are more reliable ways to get a decent return (or you want to get back into the stock market).

runner-guy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Benzito
Join the masses and put your money in a good bond fund. At least, until the economy starts cooking again and there are more reliable ways to get a decent return (or you want to get back into the stock market).
+1. I have most of our savings in a short-term municipal bond fund through Vanguard. Low cost, dividends grow tax free, and duration is less sensitive to increases in interest rates.

crosbyh

Reaction score
Generally the best rates can be found with online banks such as ING, but the rates are abysmally low right now (approx 1.50 APY on a 36 month CD). That's a pretty high trade-off for liquidity, but virtually zero risk.

ArteEtLabore14

Reaction score
Originally Posted by runner-guy
+1. I have most of our savings in a short-term municipal bond fund through Vanguard. Low cost, dividends grow tax free, and duration is less sensitive to increases in interest rates.

Can you give me some more info on this?

naprava

Reaction score
What exactly are you saving for? Your rotting ass won't be stylish anymore by 60. I plan on already being 6 feet under.

You should too.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ArteEtLabore14
What banks are currently offering the best rates (****** as they may be) and are they worth it as a relatively short-term investment with minimal risk?

No CD rate, long or short term, is worth it unless you go through a credit union as an armed forces member. As an example, recently a CU near me offered a 6mo CD @ 6% interest... that rate is unheard anywhere right now.

Stay away from them for now. In the short term (I don't know what you consider short term) liquidity is best if you want no risk. If you have a large sum of money then some banks will offer savings rates at par with CD rates.

As others have mentioned, knowing your $ goals and some more info can help us provide better answers.

ArteEtLabore14

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
No CD rate, long or short term, is worth it unless you go through a credit union as an armed forces member. As an example, recently a CU near me offered a 6mo CD @ 6% interest... that rate is unheard anywhere right now.

Stay away from them for now. In the short term (I don't know what you consider short term) liquidity is best if you want no risk. If you have a large sum of money then some banks will offer savings rates at par with CD rates.

As others have mentioned, knowing your $ goals and some more info can help us provide better answers.

I just want to make a little bit of extra money with cash that I have sitting around in a savings account. I want to be able to put it somewhere and not really have to worry or think about it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads