• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Century 21 in Manhattan

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I moved to Manhattan a few weeks ago and last week I finally made it to Century 21.

Holy ****, what a clusterfuck.

I'd never seen such a smorgasbord of designer menswear nestled next to off-off-off-off brand dreck and so many people crawling through the stairs and the strange side rooms.

And yet among all of it, I walked out with nothing. I went with the intention of buying a blazer, but I couldn't find anything my size. They had some Acne Jeans blazers, but all in an XL. MERC blazers, all too big. No Theory blazers in my size that weren't black.

What is the strategy with this store? Anyway to know when good casual (i.e. not suits) menswear drops? I'd love to go in there next time they get some Acne Blazers, or in general anytime they get a decent drop. They had some great brands (Costume National, Margiela, Hickey, Polo, tons of Purple Label stuff, Nudie, Acne, Filippa K) but not much size selection, I say.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
You really just have to go, roll up your sleeves and dig and look.

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, I did...among other things, I sucked in and squeezed through the racks of blazers and jackets on the first floor, digging for anything grey or brown or even black in my size with no luck.

I guess what I'm asking is, how often to go back? How often do they get new shipments, and when they do, do they hold items back or put everything out?

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Manhattan, and remember that shopping in Century 21 is like dating over the age of 30 - everything on the shelf has been picked over at least once before, and is still there for a reason.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
You should go up to the balcony and check out the rooms back there where it is a bit more "designery."

I'm in the FiDi a few times a month and maybe once out of those times I'll just poke in (since it is usually middle of the day on a week day and not a horrific septic tank of people)...I usually just come out with 1 or 2 ties and some underwear.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Century 21 is for the sport shopper. If you are looking for something specific (say, an Acne blazer in your size) you are much better served going to a boutique or department store that carries Acne.

However, if you like treasure hunting, Century 21 is decent (although not by far the best - Filene's Basement is often better) Prepare to spend a fair bit of time, and typically come away with nothing.

cd1

Reaction score
What is the general stock of Filene's Basement like in comparison to Century 21?

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by letmebefell
Remember that shopping in Century 21 is like dating over the age of 30 - everything on the shelf has been picked over at least once before, and is still there for a reason.

Wow, great quote!
laugh.gif
Definitely "Quote of the Day"...

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
I'm in the FiDi a few times a month .
I've never heard it called that. Is this common? [striking sincerely naive pose]
Originally Posted by blank
Holy ****, what a clusterfuck.
I think they've got their new slogan.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
I've never heard it called that. Is this common?

[striking sincerely naive pose]

Why not? The city is full of abbreviations. Why not say FiDi (F-eye, Dye) instead of Financial District when we already have SoHo, DUMBO and Tribeca while speaking and in print you have UWS, UES, HK and EV.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not deriding it.

I'm just noting it because I've never heard it before.

My favorite new-neighborhood name never quite caught on: it was for for the Museum Tower adjacent and almost immediately over the Museum of Modern Art, or JoMoMa.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
My favorite new-neighborhood name never quite caught on: it was for for the Museum Tower adjacent and almost immediately over the Museum of Modern Art, or JoMoMa.

No wait! This is the quote of the day!!
laugh.gif

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been to Century 21 a handful of times and it really is hit or miss... nice Isaia suits last time I was there!

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Century 21 is for the sport shopper. If you are looking for something specific (say, an Acne blazer in your size) you are much better served going to a boutique or department store that carries Acne.

However, if you like treasure hunting, Century 21 is decent (although not by far the best - Filene's Basement is often better) Prepare to spend a fair bit of time, and typically come away with nothing.

Yes, Filene's Basement is always > any other bargain store.

That's the Bostonian in me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads