• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Casual shirts for the short and portly man

KDE

Reaction score
I've been looking out for shirts that might fit my body well. I have a wider midsection (compared to my shoulders) and I'm very short. These two things combined make it really difficult for me to find a decent fitting casual shirt. Right now I'm on the look out for a camp shirt (or similar shirt) that would fit my build well. I am also looking for tees. Any suggestions or recommendations?

unsuitable

Reaction score
How casual? Tommy Bahama has a line of "island" or "camp" type shirts that are good quality. They tend to be generously sized in my opinion. Some of the patters are better than other at hiding a bit of paunch.

KDE

Reaction score
How casual? Tommy Bahama has a line of "island" or "camp" type shirts that are good quality. They tend to be generously sized in my opinion. Some of the patters are better than other at hiding a bit of paunch.
I'm short and chubby so Tommy Bahama is far too large even in the smallest size. The sleeves go past my elbows and the shoulder seam hits around mid bicep.

Tommy Bahama is slightly too casual or about even on the casual formal spectrum.

Edit to add: their prints are too oversized for my size.

Last edited:

unsuitable

Reaction score
OK, that gives me a good reference. I'm not going to be of much help with first-hand know-how. I have short legs but a long torso so I always end up in Long shirts.

In the US, have seen some Robert Talbott in short sizes over the years but not often. The Talbott casual stuff always seemed very well done to me. I love the colors but that's going to be personal preference. Years ago I used to buy some MTO -type Tablott shirts. The quality was always first rate but they were expensive. I found that I could take chances on other (cheaper) shirt makers on 3 to 1 ratio and I stopped ordering. But I still miss those Talbott fabric choices and I wear my handful with selfish glee.

KDE

Reaction score
OK, that gives me a good reference. I'm not going to be of much help with first-hand know-how. I have short legs but a long torso so I always end up in Long shirts.

In the US, have seen some Robert Talbott in short sizes over the years but not often. The Talbott casual stuff always seemed very well done to me. I love the colors but that's going to be personal preference. Years ago I used to buy some MTO -type Tablott shirts. The quality was always first rate but they were expensive. I found that I could take chances on other (cheaper) shirt makers on 3 to 1 ratio and I stopped ordering. But I still miss those Talbott fabric choices and I wear my handful with selfish glee.
I'm not seeing anything on their site that looks like what I'm thinking of (short sleeve, collared shirt, light weight). According to the size chart the smallest sports shirt would be too large on me.

KDE

Reaction score
I just posted this link in another forum but you might be best off with made-to-measure shirts

https://propercloth.com/i/9bln2y

Free remake if the fit isnt right
I've used proper cloth. They're stuff is okay. My biggest issue is that you can't exactly tell how a fabric is going to drape and the cut can look funky. What they made for me was just odd looking. Slim fit in the arms and a high cut arm hole but too large in the shoulder, chest, and stomach. The shirt was also too short and sleeves too long. A revision didn't help.

I also really like being able to see how something looks and fits me before buying. Can't do that with proper cloth.

KDE

Reaction score
Never had a problem with the cut, but yeah, drape is gonna depend on fabric thickness. might just be better off goin to local tailor in your case.
I'm in NYC. I went to the proper cloth hq to get measured. Drape does mostly depend on fabric thickness, yeah. But how something actually looks on me (due to how the fabric settles/moves/drapes) vs looking at a Swatch is very different. Being short I can't tell from a Swatch if a pattern is going to be large on me.

Tobes

Reaction score
Have you tried anything on in the past that fit you really well around the shoulders/arms? The reason I ask is because that might be something harder to tailor but something that fits you well through the shoulders/arms can be more easily tailored around the hem.

KDE

Reaction score
Have you tried anything on in the past that fit you really well around the shoulders/arms? The reason I ask is because that might be something harder to tailor but something that fits you well through the shoulders/arms can be more easily tailored around the hem.
Shirts that I've found fit in the shoulder and sleeve (excluding sleeve length) can barely be buttoned at the bottom in the best situation.

Tobes

Reaction score
Do you currently own any shirts or tees that fit you really well? If you do, it might be good to check out more of the brand of shirts that fit you well and see if they have anything else you might like. Not all brands make the exact size clothing but it should certainly help knowing which brand fits you well.

KDE

Reaction score
Do you currently own any shirts or tees that fit you really well? If you do, it might be good to check out more of the brand of shirts that fit you well and see if they have anything else you might like. Not all brands make the exact size clothing but it should certainly help knowing which brand fits you well.
I haven't been able to find a brand that fits well. I tried Peter Manning in I think a 2x the length was too short, sleeves too long, shoulder too large and stomach was okay.

I've tried Kamakura but the body way too tapered on everything. Gitman was too long and tapered.

Tobes

Reaction score
Have you gone to a department store and asked them for help? We have department stores here with tons of different brands in the one store. If you can find someone who works there who is good with clothes and knows the store well, that might be a good way of finding the right fit.

KDE

Reaction score
Have you gone to a department store and asked them for help? We have department stores here with tons of different brands in the one store. If you can find someone who works there who is good with clothes and knows the store well, that might be a good way of finding the right fit.
Yeeeeep. Tried several stores. Lots of shirts.

Tobes

Reaction score
Well, apart from MTM as already mentioned, I don't know of any particular brands that match your specifications. If a shoulder/clavicle width can be taken in, that would help a lot, but I don't know if tailors can do that. Try finding something that is the closest match to a perfect fit and see how it can be tailored to be the right fit. Good luck!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads