• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cashmere Sweater Hierarchy

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Permanent Style Indulgent Shawl Cardigan is back in stock, also in a black version.

Screenshot (129).png

It's made in Scotland in a 12ply cashmere knit and only available in the PS webshop.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New entry, Kangra alpaca/yak round neck jumper.

View attachment 1859973 View attachment 1859974 View attachment 1859975 View attachment 1859976 View attachment 1859977

Very nice touch, thick and consistent, I'm very happy with it. Notice how fine and precise the tapering is made, on the chest and on the sleeve.

It's a EU 50 size, 53 cm pit to pit.

Update on this: the fit is very good, snug without excess, right length. The collar is wide enough to let the shirt collar show nicely and appropriately.

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
Update on this: the fit is very good, snug without excess, right length. The collar is wide enough to let the shirt collar show nicely and appropriately.

Dear @DorianGreen,

As many of us gentlemen here may know of yak, but have not ever seen IRL a garment made out of it, or even a mix of it, could you please elaborate a bit on its hand? I goes without saying that a lot has to be attributed to alpaca, but still...

Best,

Dimitris

HotDilf

Reaction score
These Ballantyne cashmere gloves I found at Goodwill for 2.99 are seriously impressive. After almost three months of continuous and careless wear, they show zero pilling. With them, I carry groceries and boxes, rake leaves, open doors, you name it, and no signs of wear despite all the rubbing and friction. Workhorse quality.
7B304AEA-46B2-4A86-BE79-95A20A8EC22E.jpeg 9CD13B2E-161E-4DB2-8E59-E507D015FD53.jpeg

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear @DorianGreen,

As many of us gentlemen here may know of yak, but have not ever seen IRL a garment made out of it, or even a mix of it, could you please elaborate a bit on its hand? I goes without saying that a lot has to be attributed to alpaca, but still...

Best,

Dimitris

The hand feel is very appealing, thick and rather tight. I would also say, a little shaggy, in the way camel hair is. I have no experience with pure yak nor with pure alpaca, but I really like this mix.

HotDilf

Reaction score
I would avoid anything with lycra/elastane. The more in knitwear, natural fibres already have some elasticity, don't need any synthetic support.
when I see synthetics used, especially In knitwear, I am just bewildered as to the decision.
In general synthetics are added to cashmere for example to add strength to the garment

So the 2% polyamide, 1% elastane in this Bottega Veneta jumper is just “cost-cutting”?

B29F38D5-2F38-4B35-9D5C-C326848290CA.jpeg 3CC86888-E7A2-45CB-9B84-A25576906AC3.jpeg Extremely tight knitting, by the way. No light shines through.

HotDilf

Reaction score
When it’s so tight does it start to look like a sweatshirt?

Right - that’s precisely the way I would describe it! When I poked my head inside the jumper and held it against the light in the boutique, I was immersed in complete darkness. I would say even tighter knitting than the Ballantyne roll neck I got recently. BUT the opaqueness could be thanks to the additional polyamide + elastane OR because of its green color.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well done you! It’s knitwear to be proud of! Where did you get it ?
A few years after Ballantyne went into receivership and destroyed their equipment, I found a stash of original Ballantyne in Buenos Aires. That stash plus some from the Berk brick and mortar are still in heavy rotation and represent the last of my Ballantyne.

Johnny80

Reaction score
So the 2% polyamide, 1% elastane in this Bottega Veneta jumper is just “cost-cutting”?

View attachment 1861072 View attachment 1861073 Extremely tight knitting, by the way. No light shines through.
of course, every 2% means around 12-15% less expensive to the final customer, for the maker is a cost reduction at scale
But the feels remains at that composition, i dont know why is it that way, because you dont loose the benefits or draws of an 100% cashmere but you also dont get the benefits of an 70% cashmere with 30% synthetic.

Johnny80

Reaction score
A few years after Ballantyne went into receivership and destroyed their equipment, I found a stash of original Ballantyne in Buenos Aires. That stash plus some from the Berk brick and mortar are still in heavy rotation and represent the last of my Ballantyne.
I dont know why, but those should be valuable like rare mechanical watches over time
Wines is different because once you open it, it looses it valuable but watches like Grade A+ knits you can use it almost everyday, take care of them and still remain a reference point in craftsmanship

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads