• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cashmere Sweater Hierarchy

4r36

Reaction score
Before the pandemic, I was having a dinner with a friend of mine, who works as a biophysicist. He makes reasonably good money, but is very frugal when it comes to clothes. However, he's passionate about food and thus spends a lot on fine cuisine. Sometime last year, he and his wife went out to some fancy restaurant, where I think each person's meal cost something like $750 (something around there).

Anyway, while at dinner, he was complaining to me about a shirt he bought. I had recommended the shirt to him. It was some made-to-measure thing. The shirt cost about $150 and he complained that it wore out after three years.

THREE YEARS! I said, Pete, you paid $750 for a meal that you **** out in 24 hours, and you're complaining about a $150 shirt you wore every other day for like three years?

If you wear a sweater nearly every day, arms rubbing against the desk, for two or three years, it's going to pill a little! It's not the sweater manufacturer's fault. Yarn is not steel. Get a sweater shaver and just take care of your knits.

Now I wonder...If I go to a restaurant where a meal costs me $750, but I use a shaver and take care of my ****, can I extract more value out of it? Or is there nothing to worry about, as in this case it will be steel in fact?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Now I wonder...If I go to a restaurant where a meal costs me $750, but I use a shaver and take care of my ****, can I extract more value out of it? Or is there nothing to worry about, as in this case it will be steel in fact?

I feel like there's a complicated form of a joke here I'm not getting

Added: Oh wait, I think I get it? **** as in shave your poop? And maybe your poop is made from steel? OK maybe I don't get it.

I don't disagree with your advice however, please compare to this 40 year old Ballantyne that I have worn in a similar manner with nary a single pill on the whole garment. These two sweaters are not remotely the same ting.

I don't know what to tell you. My Lockies are fine. Perhaps yours caught the clap.

Last edited:

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People want what they want I suppose. I could never imagine dropping that kind of coin on a meal.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
I don't disagree with your advice however, please compare to this 40 year old Ballantyne that I have worn in a similar manner with nary a single pill on the whole garment. These two sweaters are not remotely the same ting.

View attachment 1544529

Did you get that Ballantyne new or is it a vintage piece?

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
Vintage. It is amazing.

Yes, I have 3 vintage sweaters that don't pill, but I don't think they are exceptionally high quality by any means. I think sweaters just pill less with age. Cut off the pilling. Wash your sweater. See how it does.

4r36

Reaction score
I feel like there's a complicated form of a joke here I'm not getting

Added: Oh wait, I think I get it? **** as in shave your poop? And maybe your poop is made from steel? OK maybe I don't get it.

Premise: after reading again what I wrote I’m in the same position as you. I can only advance a hypothesis.

Perhaps, I tried to make a kind of joke by making an analogy between the solution to pilling and that to pooing. The joke runs as follows:

I go to an expensive restaurant and I complain that, in just 24h, I’ll **** out the delicious meal. Yet, if I buy an expensive sweater that pills quickly but can solve the problem by using a shaver, I might try to do the same with the meal that soon becomes **** (solution that, of course, is complete nonsense). But here is the twist: what if the **** turns out to be just as the sweater yarn I dream of, that is, as solid as steel!? Would I still complain? (and now the point is picturing yourself evacuating something as hard as steel)

Lockdown is bad for mental health guys ?

stifler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know who makes the Saks Fifth Avenue cashmere sweaters made in Italy? How is the quality on these? It says they're made by a family owned company outside Florence. None of the associates I talked to had any idea on who makes them. I'm eyeing this:

1611856241780.png

PairOfDerby's

Reaction score
All cashmere will pill at first. You can pick them off by hand. The same rules as picking blackberrys - they should come off easily and not be forced. After the first couple of washes, the pilling should stop.

stifler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There’s no reply that I can read. Am I missing something?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anyone know who makes the Saks Fifth Avenue cashmere sweaters made in Italy? How is the quality on these? It says they're made by a family owned company outside Florence. None of the associates I talked to had any idea on who makes them. I'm eyeing this:

View attachment 1544616

Saks in-house line is not very good.

It's also obvious from the price. A $130 cashmere knit is not going to be great.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It says they're made by a family owned company outside Florence.

That always annoys me. I commented on this in another thread. There’s a reason why the mill doesn’t want to associate itself with Saks or the other way around.

Usually with private label stuff, they will contract with some manufacturer and if they find somewhere cheaper then they’ll send the work there. There are some exceptions where the relationship has held strong, but it’s usually with truly high end merchandise. RLPL comes to mind. But not Saks house brand sweaters.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That always annoys me. I commented on this in another thread. There’s a reason why the mill doesn’t want to associate itself with Saks or the other way around.

Usually with private label stuff, they will contract with some manufacturer and if they find somewhere cheaper then they’ll send the work there. There are some exceptions where the relationship has held strong, but it’s usually with truly high end merchandise. RLPL comes to mind. But not Saks house brand sweaters.

It's very rare for any producer to reveal their factories, whether it's at the high or low end.

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm just wearing a 30 year old new-old stock Drumohr made in Scotland pullover that I bought a couple of years ago. 1-ply. After 20 wears or so, no pilling at all not even in the areas where there is more contact (elbows, low back). Don't know how does it compare to new Lockie or Loro Piana but though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads