• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cashmere Sweater Hierarchy

garigo

Reaction score
Thanks! Did you happen to try on the crewneck as well? I spoke to customer service and they said it is more tapered than the stock model (the Oxton, I'm assuming) so now I'm wondering about sizing for that as well.
No sorry, I haven't tried that one.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Usually not a fan of cotton knitwear, but this sweater looks really nice.

permanent-style-cotton-sweater-1229x1536.jpg

epsilon22

Reaction score
The cream looks a touch too yellow-ish, but maybe just not my preference. Navy looks nice, but I don't think it'd see much use in my wardrobe. I usually prefer some kind of jacket on top of a t-shirt or short-sleeved polo during summer, easier to put on/take off depending on weather or air conditioning than knitwear.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The cream looks a touch too yellow-ish, but maybe just not my preference. Navy looks nice, but I don't think it'd see much use in my wardrobe. I usually prefer some kind of jacket on top of a t-shirt or short-sleeved polo during summer, easier to put on/take off depending on weather or air conditioning than knitwear.

I also feel that such a garment wouldn't get much use, hence I don't have cotton sweaters in my collection. It's thought to be worn in Summer and, as I see, it will not easily match in a classic outfit (I don't like a tailored jacket over a tee-shirt or a crewneck sweater). It could be well integrated in a more casual look instead.

fabricateurialist

Reaction score
Keep in mind that PS treats product photos like editorial content and color grades them to the n-th degree

Have you considered a knitted linen cardigan or blazer instead ?

epsilon22

Reaction score
Keep in mind that PS treats product photos like editorial content and color grades them to the n-th degree

I do have some lightweight sport coats for the summer.

I'm actually thinking of getting the PS PWVC linen harrington for a more casual option, as I've been happy with my wool bomber jacket from PWVC.

What brands would you recommend for linen knitwear?

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm actually thinking of getting the PS PWVC linen harrington for a more casual option, as I've been happy with my wool bomber jacket from PWVC.

A sure address would certainly be Inis Meain. However I don't see why linen should be better than cotton. Recently lots of cashmere linen blends, also William Lockie has it in some styles.

epsilon22

Reaction score
A sure address would certainly be Inis Meain. However I don't see why linen should be better than cotton. Recently lots of cashmere linen blends, also William Lockie has it in some styles.
Not sure either, tbh. Never worn knitwear in hot weather, cotton or linen. Might give it a try in the future, but certainly not rushing to grab one.

fabricateurialist

Reaction score

Inis Meain obviouslu

Drumohr irregularly has interesting linen knitwear, they play a lot with textures, so don’t necessarily expect plain weaves or simple ribbed sweaters

Eleventy, albeit not made in-house, sources solid linen for its knitwear

Artknit Studious also has some items, but they’re focusing more on cotton linen blends this season

Fay, Ballantyne and Massimo Alba also tend to feature linen sweaters during SS season

tobiasfunke19

Reaction score
BrandStyleWeight (grams)
KitonCrew
Turnbull AsserV-Neck
William LockieCrew (Nis 3-ply)
BallantynePolo
BallantyneV-Neck
PringleV-Neck
William LockieCable Crew (chirnside 4-ply)
Lyle ScottV-Neck
BallantyneV-Neck with saddle shoulders
PringleButton Cardigan
BurkV-Neck
Loro PianaZip-Neck (Treccia Mezzocollo baby Cashmere)
CaerleeButton Cardigan
ColhayTurtleneck submariner
John LaingZipped Cable-knit
William LockieShawl (not Windsor)

all in size medium (42 lockie, laing, pringle, ballantyne, L&S)

Last edited:

Nebbiolo

Reaction score

While the photos on PS aren't always color-accurate, I wouldn't say they're "graded", let alone to the nth degree. That said, I also find the cream a bit too yellowish and would prefer something with a little gray in it. Maybe this one by the Anthology is a bit better in that regard.

Linen knitwear bags out after a couple of wears so I personally avoid it.

fabricateurialist

Reaction score
interesting, I have never had this occur; across a sample size of three though 🤷‍♂️
While the photos on PS aren't always color-accurate, I wouldn't say they're "graded", let alone to the nth degree. That said, I also find the cream a bit too yellowish and would prefer something with a little gray in it. Maybe this one by the Anthology is a bit better in that regard.

Linen knitwear bags out after a couple of wears so I personally avoid it.,

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'm thinking of why linen would bag out ... the fiber itself doesn't stretch , maybe it is somehow structural ? I'd wet wash the knitwear ( linen loves washing ) to shake out any manufacturing tension and try the garment that way

Nebbiolo

Reaction score
i'm thinking of why linen would bag out ... the fiber itself doesn't stretch , maybe it is somehow structural ? I'd wet wash the knitwear ( linen loves washing ) to shake out any manufacturing tension and try the garment that way
I'm no expert, but I think it's because it has no natural springiness and doesn't recover once it's been stretched, unless you wash it. After one or two wears, the sleeves sag at the cuffs, etc... Wool is a much better fiber for knitwear, and I think cotton too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads