• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Based on my research, it could be as simple as an alignment issue, a dirty wheel speed sensor, a fucked up steering angle sensor, or a faulty ABS/DSC module.

Fixes listed in ascending order in terms of cost and complexity. Hopefully it's the first one.

And yes, I've posted on the enthusiast forums for opinions. Taking my car to my guy this Friday to get the car's codes scanned.

Wish me luck.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
so it could be a myriad of things?

want to be sad for you..........but. . . .

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
crackup[1].gif

you had a CEL in your VW, then only a day later, a CEL in your BMW......
but what have you learned from this?

Last edited:

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score

Based on my research, it could be as simple as an alignment issue, a dirty wheel speed sensor, a fucked up steering angle sensor, or a faulty ABS/DSC module.

Fixes listed in ascending order in terms of cost and complexity. Hopefully it's the first one.

And yes, I've posted on the enthusiast forums for opinions. Taking my car to my guy this Friday to get the car's codes scanned.

Wish me luck.

This is most likely the abs/dsc module.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
It most definitely isn't an alignment issue and I've not heard of a steering wheel angle sensor throwing those lights. With bmw, it's usually never the simple fixes people usually think it is.

My buddy's e38 started stalling at idle and threw a couple of vanos codes. One of his friends is a very seasoned foreman and among the list of probable causes he said the same thing.

I also happen to know the abs/dsc modules are a common issue on certain production period e46 m3s.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

E46 M3 doesn't use tire pressure sensors and just relies on rotational differences to determine low tire pressure.
I'm guessing it's the module.

The DSC module?

Oh well, we'll find out tomorrow. I ordered a BMW scanning cable and software thing.

Last edited:

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, you need the specialty readers to talk to the brake modules and others.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Scanner isn't going to tell you ****. It's going to give you a few codes which can mean anything under the dsc umbrella of codes. It won't give you a code that says your dsc module is bad.

They are basically used to interpret and then determine which part is faulty that is causing the dme to throw the codes. It's usually a multitude of codes as well.

If I recall correctly the modules were about 6-700 back in the day, probably more now.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads