• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread is full of laughs. Also, GF, at least read the k bus before you jump headfirst into something a guy at AutoZone told you.

Last edited:

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I can't wait to read the step by step progress updates from GF. I pulled some things out, but I might have damaged the security system, but at least the car won't start. Got the car running again, forgot to work on the security system. ****, it got stolen last night. Guys, thoughts on if I should file a police report?
Yes, of course given that it was stolen.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Okay, I got my own PA scanner and installed everything, got everything connected and got my codes. The very first time I ran it, I had a lot more that were stored in the bank and they are as follows:

DME
no errors

Shadow:
- 63 [099] Internal Fault
- 59 [089] Internal Fault

No matter how many times I cleared these, they continued to appear. I searched online and it looks like these two errors always pop up for people using this to read codes and that it's nothing to worry about.

ABS - Anti-lock Braking system with ASC/DSC
- 5DA3 [23971] Wheel speed sensor front right start recognition v_comparison
- 5DA1 [23969] Wheel speed sensor front right extrapolation

LEW - Steering Angle Sensor
- 09 [009] No CAN message (ASC)

SRS - Supplemental Restraint System
no errors

Shadow:
- 50 [080] Power supply, undervoltage

SZM - Switching Center, Center Console
no errors

Shadow:
- 05 [005] Seat heating Lower voltage recognized

Clearing this made this go away

SPMFT - Mirror Memory, Driver
- 04 [004] Mirror-moving-switch, interruption
- 05 [005] Mirror-heating interruption
- 07 [007] Mirror drive, potentiometer vertical
- 08 [008] Mirror drive, potentiometer horizontal
- 09 [009] Mirror drive, vertical interruption
- 0B [011] Mirror drive, horizontal interruption

Shadow:
- 00 [000] Low voltage (U < 8.5 Volt)
- 02 [002] Low voltage mirror-heating --> this was red

Clearing these made these all go away.

SPMBT - Mirror Memory, Passenger
no errors

Shadow:
- 00 [000] Low voltage (U < 8.5 Volt)
- 02 [002] Low voltage mirror-heating

Clearing these made them all go away

I now cleared all codes and started from scratch again -- my DSC, brake, and ABS lights were still on

This time, I got the following:

ABS
- 5DA1 [23969] Wheel speed sensor right extrapolation

LEW
- 09 [009] No CAN message (ASC)

I now cleared all codes AGAIN and scanned when none of my dash lights were on

DME
Shadow:
- 8F [143] Electronics-box fan
- 8F [143] Electronics-box fan
- 59 [089] Internal fault

ABS
- 5DA3 [23971] Wheel speed sensor front right start recognition v_comparison

So.. as you can see, the ones that seem to constantly be there are one of the two from ABS. The LEW (steering angle sensor) one either has errors or doesn't. What trips me up is that for awhile, my dash was clear and when I ran the diagnostics again, I practically got no codes save for the persistent ones for DME. Even the ABS one had no errors. But after going through another round of getting the dash lights to trigger, clearing them, and then running diagnostics again, I still got the error code for the ABS, despite there being no dash lights for the DSC, ABS, and Brake.

It's kind of all over the place and I stopped re-scaning, clearing, and re-scanning after dozens of trials. **** was exhausting. We have a small roundabout at the end of the street, so I would circle it for minutes at a time to trigger the dash lights, pull back into our driveway, connect the laptop, rinse repeat. Did this like 10 times. Parents' neighbors probably thought I was some crazy person.

And yes, I've posted on the enthusiast forums; doubt I'll get anything solid from the folks here, save for maybe jet / mbaum / ramuman / hroi.

ramubrah / jet, since you both seem to know some bmw mechanics, would you be willing to do me a huge favor and pass this info to them and getting their thoughts? I'd be super grateful...
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png

Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Please tell me you had all the codes read before you bought the car?

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Of course. I got a PPI from a reputable, indie BMW mechanic.

All codes were read and the only ones present were related to a faulty O2 sensor in bank 1. Had that replaced on owner's dime.

Edit: I'm going to jack the car up and clean the front right wheel speed sensor. Looked up the DIY guides. It looks easy enough and I have all the tools at home.

Last edited:

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ramubrah / jet, since you both seem to know some bmw mechanics, would you be willing to do me a huge favor and pass this info to them and getting their thoughts? I'd be super grateful...
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png

They would likely say, bring it in, so we can fix it. Also the codes have a hysteresis, they're not all just going to pop right back. I would stop clearing them and hoping that fixes something. Generally, they are accurate.

Did you check EWS and GM? I think you're in way over head on this. The DME, among many functions, interacts with the EWS and several other modules. You could end up bricking the car (from your end - it is fixable).

Again, I'm confused why you think resetting the error codes, especially as they pertain to the DME itself - a code that has come back on both times - will solve the problem.

Just let BMW fix it, eat the bill and don't make fun of piob, Hroi, myself, etc. for leasing.

Last edited:

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I finally had the chance to test drive this. A Model X P90D:

The experience was decidedly Tesla. Food, everyone knows you by first name or wants to get to know you.

I went there with a great friend of mine and his girlfriend who has one on order. They only have 7 west of the Mississippi river for future/potential customers to drive, so cool of them to let people drive one of the few cars they have.

I went in with very high expectations and tl;dr, they were completely met. I love BMW and Tesla, but I've ripped on BMWs and my own Tesla.

Lowlights first:

• Body panel gap variances still exist, but less pronounced
  • One window wouldn't roll down and the Falcon wing doors were a bit slow - they're running a beta version of the software and we were assured it'd be fixed by launch
  • Nothing else really

Highlights:

• Wonderfull and well thought out interior - leather everywhere (if you pay for it), tons of space, and every mechanism down to the chinky door on the Model S center console has been fixed
  • Deceptively small for the storage space - my friend surfs, bikes, snowboards and her question was could I do all that and still take a few friends along - you'd have that and more
  • The seats are better than the Model S' 'next-gen' seats, the vegan ones seem like they'd be more prone to wear and tear based on the very low mileage ones we were in
  • Awesome awesome visibility, especially if you opt for 6 instead of 7 seats and the front windshield is addictive
  • The performance is the best of any large SUV/SAV I've driven, very little body roll, acceleration - duh, great braking for something that weighs that much
  • ...on and on

Overall, I tend to be objective on things in life. Living in the past is never a good thing. I also realize the average person that buys a Tesla plunks down a bit over 100k - so this isn't for everyone. I hope Elon knows that going into the Model 3 reveal in March. It comes down more to the point of 'if whatever you pay for a car is worth it', the entire total ownership experience considered.

With the Model X, Tesla nailed it. I just hope they keep pushing on every other car company playing catch-up.

Last edited:

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Lol I am too. Kinda nervous. But I do want to be more hands on with my car. I know I can do it if I have the right DIY guides and tools.

I just need to stop being so lazy and spend a weekend getting my hands dirty.
wrenched on a few Bimmers and VW turds. it's been a few drunk nights in between, but if you need any basics,just holla.
cars are cars, just some are crap. they still have the same functions.
yes, i will still make fun of you while helping. help ain't free.

They would likely say, bring it in, so we can fix it. Also the codes have a hysteresis, they're not all just going to pop right back. I would stop clearing them and hoping that fixes something. Generally, they are accurate.

Did you check EWS and GM? I think you're in way over head on this. The DME, among many functions, interacts with the EWS and several other modules. You could end up bricking the car (from your end - it is fixable).

Again, I'm confused why you think resetting the error codes, especially as they pertain to the DME itself - a code that has come back on both times - will solve the problem.

Just let BMW fix it, eat the bill and don't make fun of piob, Hroi, myself, etc. for leasing.
correct about the codes.

leasers are the diet coke of car guys.

people who buy a Tesla also consider Yoga a sport.

Last edited:

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

wrenched on a few Bimmers and VW turds. it's been a few drunk nights in between, but if you need any basics,just holla. 
cars are cars, just some are crap. they still have the same functions.
yes, i will still make fun of you while helping. help ain't free.

correct about the codes.

leasers are the diet coke of car guys.

I'd prefer to think of us as Coke Zero. We can enjoy the same taste without dealing with the guilt :).

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads