• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
I'd prefer to think of us as Coke Zero. We can enjoy the same taste without dealing with the guilt
smile.gif

touche.
fight[1].gif

so, more like the guy who walks around the bakery eating the samples?

Last edited:

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Adding this to your posts:

people who buy a Tesla also consider Yoga a sport.

and

so, more like the guy who walks around the bakery eating the samples?

is a bit ad hominem isn't it?

First of all, you're implying that I consider yoga a sport. Since I actually bought my Tesla - didn't finance it since taxes favored that in the state I bought it in - and do in fact have a yoga mat. That must completely invalidate my take on the Model X - which everyone else here has driven on the internet.

Since you said that, I want you to post a financial argument for financing a car if you want a new one every 2-3 years, and don't want the warranty or selling it headaches - which our GF has.

Secondly, unless you have the title in hand, whoever financed the loan owns the car until the last penny is paid.

It's like this thread is filled with passive-aggressive types who comment on stuff they've never actually done - exceptions being the Piob, Hroi, etc.

Last edited:

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
@Bruhmuman, we have charging points around town. one between my home and my work even. and i will not ever consider it. even if the charges are free. why? because i like my cars to be as analogue as possible. less sensors, less warning lights, less faults. i would be more likely to show interest in a hydrogen cell car. like the Mirai. if you could make a Suzuki Cappucino run on hydrogen? take my money.

wife and i both have good jobs. looked at financing a FJ Cruiser last year. instead bought a Subaru Legacy GTB, which had hit it's low value point. meaning our payments were 1/3 of the FJ, while having a family car that hauls ass. however, she will most likely finance a Levorg or XV. when the gtb gets tired. i will mention leasing to her. she doesn't mod. and has no claim to being an enthusiast, simply an appliance to her.

paid cash for mine, drove it home. was instantly worth 4x what i paid.

Imma make fun of electric turds, and those who boast of owning expensive cars they are renting. also those who believe German cars to be superior. it's my shtick.

Last edited:

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[COLOR=0000FF]@Bruhmuman[/COLOR], we have charging points around town. one between my home and my work even. and i will not ever consider it. even if the charges are free. why? because i like my cars to be as analogue as possible. less sensors, less warning lights, less faults. i would be more likely to show interest in a hydrogen cell car. like the Mirai. if you could make a Suzuki Cappucino run on hydrogen? take my money.

wife and i both have good jobs. looked at financing a FJ Cruiser last year. instead bought a Subaru Legacy GTB, which had hit it's low value point. meaning our payments were 1/3 of the FJ, while having a family car that hauls ass.

Imma make fun of electric turds, and those who boast of owning expensive cars they are renting. also those who believe German cars to be superior. it's my shtick.

The first is absolutely hilarious from any energy standpoint - it makes no sense, it's worse in all ways than gasoline. The second - you should sell it for 4 times what you paid for it then. In that seller->buyer turned seller->buyer transaction, there has to be an idiot in that lineup. Unless by Legacy GTB, you meant an Auto Union Type D.

I don't boast about owning the M4 - it's a lease, I know I'm renting it. That's fine by me. People finance houses and think they bought it - tell that to the bank.

If you like hydrogen, which is worse than gasoline environmentally (generation to tailpipe accounted for), and call an electric car with the decidedly adult use of the word 'turd', you must be right

You must have a hell of a schtick though. Pretty good engineering skills too.

Last edited:

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
1. Hydrogen will be the next craze after electric. but Japan, running mostly on nuclear power, of course makes a good case for electric cars that aren't powered by fossil fuels. i prefer to hold out for e85 to take over.
2. i meant the 300hp+ fully loaded,twin turbo, Subaru masterpiece.
3. the value is only going up. why sell early, if ever? i quite like my cash bought next gen classic.
edit: in fact, it's sole purpose is to be my daily, as i hunt and hide away other next gen classics in the near future.

Last edited:

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1. Hydrogen will be the next craze after electric. but Japan, running mostly on nuclear power, of course makes a good case for electric cars that aren't powered by fossil fuels.
2. i meant the 300hp+ fully loaded,twin turbo, Subaru masterpiece.
3. the value is only going up. why sell early, if ever? i quite like my cash bought next gen classic.

1. [VIDEO] [/VIDEO]

10:29 for his punch line (you might smarter than Elon and I who come from electrical engineering and physics backgrounds)
2. I'll take 450 HP or 800 HP
3. Did not know know you could drive a Subaru off the lot and make 4 times on it. That's better than a Porsche 991 GT3 RS bought at MSRP.

Last edited:

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
you can read, right? or did you think i was joking when i said "next gen Classic"? ie: no lot. bought from beneath a junk pile before it was lost forever. paid $800 cash. engine is worth 4k. car is worth more, and climbing. i will never lose a penny on it, regardless of how much i put into it.
satisfied.gif

i OWN my car, wrench on my car, am currently painting my car, and am building it from the ground up to slay the local exotic car club at the track. no money lost, no second place.

smart is relative, i'm a Mechanic. not an electrician. Elon's cars are good but......... is all i read or hear.

450hp is easy to do. current setup is fine. it's an absolute snow beast. it's the wifes wagon. 300 is plenty.

Last edited:

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

]you can read, right? or did you think i was joking when i said "next gen Classic"?[/B]  ie: no lot. bought from beneath a junk pile before it was lost forever. paid $800 cash. engine is worth 4k. car is worth more, and climbing. i will never lose a penny on it, regardless of how much i put into it. :satisfied:
i OWN my car, wrench on my car, am currently painting my car, and am building it from the ground up to slay the local exotic car club at the track. no money lost, no second place.

smart is relative, i'm a Mechanic. not an electrician. Elon's cars are good but.........   is all i read or hear.

450hp is easy to do. current setup is fine. it's an absolute snow beast. it's the wifes wagon. 300 is plenty.

First, I can only kinda read, I'm just not great at it, unfortunately, English is my native language. I thought you said it was worth 4x after you drove it home. It just reminded of the late night TV commercials where you hear 'we're selling our inventory at half of value' or the like. I have a really hard time believing you could've bought a Subaru and it instantly was worth 4x more after you bought it.

Second, caps lock is the best way to make a point online. Painting a car always helps re-sale as well.

Third, I'm not an electrician. Electrical engineers and physicists don't install wiring in your home as a sub-contractor.

Fourth, people can say that about every product. You can fantasize that a MacBook Pro was 10 times faster and Intel could help. Is a product worth the cost is the only real fundamental question.

Last edited:

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well thanks guys for de-railing an honest opinion on a car I actually drove and a version that is currently really rare. I'm sure you guys all own your manual LaFerraris, good for you.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
i know what electrical engineers do, and physicists. going by your definition, my education would make me an Anthropologist, and an expert on post ww2 diplomatic relations.
being able to work with my hands to pay the bills in a foreign country doesn't make me a lesser man.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

wife and i both have good jobs. looked at financing a FJ Cruiser last year. instead bought a Subaru Legacy GTB, which had hit it's low value point. meaning our payments were 1/3 of the FJ, while having a family car that hauls ass. however, she will most likely finance a Levorg or XV. when the gtb gets tired. i will mention leasing to her. she doesn't mod. and has no claim to being an enthusiast, simply an appliance to her.

Did you drive it into a lesbian college professor commune?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Of course. I got a PPI from a reputable, indie BMW mechanic.

All codes were read and the only ones present were related to a faulty O2 sensor in bank 1. Had that replaced on owner's dime.

Edit: I'm going to jack the car up and clean the front right wheel speed sensor. Looked up the DIY guides. It looks easy enough and I have all the tools at home.

Jeebus, just replace it. They're about $125. Don't cheap out and get the non-OEM ones. You're driving a 10+ year old car in the north east, it's going to be crudded up. Those sensors aren't known for their longevity. Try not to kill yourself and use jack stands and block the wheels.

I'd look into those DME fan codes too. http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpost.php?p=3320166&postcount=13

Last edited:

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Jeebus, just replace it. They're about $125. Don't cheap out and get the non-OEM ones. You're driving a 10+ year old car in the north east, it's going to be crudded up. Those sensors aren't known for their longevity. Try not to kill yourself and use jack stands and block the wheels.

I'd look into those DME fan codes too.

There are likely be other problems as well, and based on the codes, it's possible the previous owner re-programmed it as well. I wish GF would just get it checked out at BMW or an authorized service center and deal with it.

It might or might not be cheap for him, but he got an E46 M3. I don't want him bitching about the rear subframe failing or whatever next. You make your bed and lie in it.

For the record, the GF seems like a nice dude, but he's overcomplicating it. It's almost like his solution is to take vacation days to travel to Munich and get education on the S54 and come back and fix his.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
GF, where's today's report? :confused:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I enjoy the sound etc of a gas car these days, but I'm pretty damn certain that I'll buy a tesla or such when the time comes. I'll hopefully end up having a fun gas car and a tesla.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads