• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Two crashes on passenger side, check.
Brembo breaks, check.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why does everyone always put Brembo on their car if it always breaks? :puzzled:

Last edited:

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Me after enjoying a spirited cruise with the windows down to hear dat sweet, sweet exhaust and induction noise:

Last edited:

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The main issue was that BMW didn't have much recent experience with turbos and installed a ****** fuel pump. They figured that out fairly quickly and replaced them all. Now all is ok for everyone except the rice boys who **** around with poorly designed mods and complain when their engine get grenaded

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what's the deal with 335's? Crap reliability in early gens?

HPFP issues in early ones
Typical BMW water pump issues. They go out every 60-80k miles. Unfortunately they have electric water pumps and the cheapest I've ever seen it is $500 from getbmwparts.com plus installation which can run $300+. You have to take apart the bumper just to get to it. Dealers will charge you $1200 to replace
You've got to take apart the wheel wells just to change HID headlights. Not so with regular halogen lights though
Keep spare coils because they tend to go out every now and then. Good news is you can buy Bosche coils for $30 on Amazon
Not sure about the reliability of the turbo unit itself. As was mentioned before this was BMW's first foray into turbocharging in a long time
Xdrive. It was BMW's 2nd gen unit (I don't count the 80s 325ix). I still don't trust it, especially after watching my buddy's 530xi front differential die twice
Can't think of anythign else offhand

Last edited:

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
With all of those issues. as much as i drool over BMW 335's. it would be hard to justify buying one over a Toyota Aristo V300 (Lexus GS300 Twin Turbo 2jz)
Those big sedans can boogie.

Last edited:

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With all of those issues. as much as i drool over BMW 335's. it would be hard to justify buying one over a Toyota Aristo V300 (Lexus GS300 Twin Turbo 2jz)
Those big sedans can boogie.

I believe the maintenance for a M3 really isn't much more expensive. They don't have a HPFP, xdrive or turbos to worry about. They have "regular" water pumps which cost about the same as the electric ones in the nonM but they last longer PLUS they give you some type of warning when they are starting to fail, unlike the electric ones. The coils are 3 times more expensive and you need 8 instead of 6. Everything other repair/maintenance item is comparable in price

I'd have a hard time buying a 335 over a M3

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

I'd have a hard time buying a 335 over a M3

$

2011 335xi can be found with ok miles and priced in the mid $20's. A 2011 M3 would be mid $40's, and even going back to 2008 they're still low $30's.

Looking at some beater cars now. Priced out an M3, but it'd be street parked, and that just isn't wise. GF here can't even rely on regular parking lots. Maybe in 2-3 years.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads